Daisy Hill’s search for a win in October continues after they fell to a 2-0 defeat away to Euxton Villa on Saturday in the North West Counties League First Division North.

An opening goal from Dan Singleton and a penalty from striker partner Raj Uppal four minutes later gave the home side a decisive two-goal lead at the break, in a game that for long spells was a dogged midfield battle of few chances for either side.

Daisy Hill midfielder Precieux Ngongo summed up the frustration in the away camp after the game.

“I don’t think it was a game we should have lost 2-0, it was just a couple of moments in the game that cost us, and on another day it would have been a 0-0 game,” said Ngongo.

“The first goal we weren’t switched on quick enough, and the penalty you have to accept.

“We didn’t get many shots on goal, but in the second half especially, they didn’t really threaten us at all. It just seems to be these small but vital moments in games that are costing us at the moment.

“It’s a 90-minute game and we need to stay switched on and concentrated for the whole game. You can’t question the effort that the lads are putting in, every game we give 100 per cent for each other.

”We’ve lost a few games on the bounce now and we have just got to pick ourselves up, go again on Tuesday and Thursday in training, and then on Saturday (away at Ashton Town) hopefully we will turn up, be on our game again and get back to winning ways.”

Daisy manager Lee Hill rang the changes with three new arrivals in the starting line-up.

Ben Unsworth and Blerti Jacaj made their debuts in defence, and Danny Warburton returned to the club after spells at Atherton LR and Abbey Hey to start up front alongside leading scorer Ryan Talbot.

A cagey opening saw Daisy have an early chance when Dean Singleton headed over from a Jake O’Brien free-kick.

Just after the half hour, Daisy had a narrow escape when Euxton’s Dan Singleton cut the ball into the box and Uppal shot just wide, but 10 minutes from half time the Euxton duo were involved in creating the opening goal.

A move down the left led to the ball being played into Uppal, who rifled in a shot that Daisy keeper Morgan Newns could only push out, and Dan Singleton reacted quickly to pounce on the loose ball and side-foot home.

Four minutes later Euxton doubled their advantage from the penalty spot, when Blerti Jacaj was penalised for a challenge on Uppal in the box, and the striker picked himself up and comfortably converted the resulting spot-kick.

The half-time score was harsh on Daisy after a very close-fought first half, and at the interval, a tactical switch was made from a back three to a back four, with Danny Warburton dropping back into midfield, and Sam Twist coming on to partner Talbot in attack.

But although Daisy enjoyed a better share of possession after the break, the pattern of the game changed little.

On the hour mark, Newns had to react quickly to pluck the ball off the toes of Uppal as he raced through on goal, and Daisy’s best chance arrived in the last 10 minutes when an O’Brien corner swung deep into the six-yard box evaded attackers and alike before narrowly missing the far post.

Daisy are back in action on Saturday, when they travel to face Ashton Town in another North West Counties League First Division North fixture (3pm).