Charlton boss Michael Appleton was unhappy with referee Geoff Eltringham following his side’s 2-0 defeat against Wanderers.

Randell Williams and Dion Charles were both on target in the first half as the Whites capped off a perfect week in League One.

The home crowd were angry that Terell Thomas was not allowed to re-enter the field in the build-up to Charles’ goal after receiving treatment.

Appleton also felt Scott Fraser had been obstructed by Eltringham and was unable to close down Josh Dacres-Cogley before the ball eventually broke to Charles.

“One goal is a wonderful finish and sometimes that happens – you can’t do too much about that,” he told South London Press.

“I get the ruling when you have got a player off the pitch. (Eltringham) made it clear that the ball was sufficiently down that side for him not to entire the pitch.

“What made it doubly difficult was because the ref blocked Scott Fraser from being able to track the ball and it came from the side that Terell would be defending.”

The boss added: “We were punished for having a player off the pitch and then for an obstruction by the ref.”

Charlton had been unbeaten in their last five home games in the league, but Appleton felt there were positives to take from their display against Wanderers.

“Apart from the two goals, I can’t be too disappointed,” he stated. “I’m obviously disappointed to lose 2-0 against a good side but when it comes to xG (expected goals), we were higher than Bolton. That may be hard to believe but I can actually believe that.

“It’s easy when you’re losing to feel sorry and step away from it, but the way the players reacted in the second half gives me great confidence going forward.

“First half, we were a little bit shy of them and weren’t aggressive enough. We probably showed them too much respect. I’ll take responsibility from that point of view.

“We can be a little more aggressive. There were moments the players could’ve done that a lot more.

“When you concede the second goal in the manner we did, you could feel in the stadium there was an anxiety about what had happened.

“That is through no fault of the players because it was 38 seconds before the ball got back towards that area of the field.”