Wanderers were knocked out of the FA Youth Cup in the second round following a 4-1 defeat against a strong Derby side at the Toughsheet Community Stadium.

Harry Hawkins, Lennon Wheeldon, Dajaune Brown and Owen Eames were all on target for the Rams, while Daeshon Lawrence pulled one back at the death.

The visitors started on the front foot, with George Barlow rushing off his line and doing just enough to put off Brown before Oliver Smith made an important clearance in front of goal.

The Bolton goalkeeper was again called into action when Johnson Osong managed to break free down the left, making a smart stop with his legs after narrowing the angle.

Cruz Allen picked out Osong from the resulting corner but his looping header landed on the roof of the net.

Brown then saw a strike deflected just wide after latching onto Billy Gough’s as Derby cranked up the pressure.

Wanderers didn’t have many chances in the opening 45 minutes, with Conor Lewis forcing Jack Thompson into a routine save after a good move down the right flank involving Anthony Pinto and Harrison Fleury.

Midway through the half, Wheeldon sent a low drive wide of the far post before Osong’s curling effort from distance wasn’t too far away.

The young Whites nearly shot themselves in the foot after losing possession in a dangerous area, but Niall McAndrew failed to hit the target at full stretch.

Barlow made a couple more good stops to deny Brown and McAndrew, and it seemed like Darby’s side might make it to half time on level terms.

But the breakthrough came five minutes before the break when Hawkins drilled home from the edge of the area after Wanderers had cleared an initial corner.

Derby doubled their lead with virtually the final kick of the half as Wheeldon gave Barlow the eyes before smashing in at the near post.

The visitors picked up where they left off in the second half, with Brown beating his man and firing just wide.

The youngster’s direct running continued to cause the Bolton backline problems and he was awarded a penalty before the hour mark. Brown took it himself, keeping his cool to send Barlow the wrong way from 12 yards.

The young Whites nearly pulled one back when Fleury’s volley was deflected wide after a good flick-in by Yestin Shakespear.

Lewis also had a chance to get on the scoresheet after a wayward pass from Thompson but he was denied by a good block.

Harry Leigh, Lawrence and David Abimbola were all introduced off the bench, the latter replacing Sam Inwood after he took a knock.

Ten minutes from time, Wheeldon went close with a low drive that had Barlow scrambling to his left but crept just wide.

Substitute Eames added a fourth moments later, providing a clinical finish after he was teed up by Wheeldon.

Lawrence gave the Bolton fans in attendance something to celebrate with the final kick of the game, slotting home from close range after getting on the end of Abimbola’s low cross.

Derby advance to the third round, where a trip to Manchester United awaits.

Barlow, Pinto, Oliver, Hogan, Inwood (Abimbola 72), Smith, Westwood (Leigh 56), Irwin, Shakespear (Lawrence 68), Fleury, Lewis. Unused: Lomax, O’Neill, Nutall, Ritchie