Marine produced a clinical performance as they defeated a lacklustre Atherton Collieries 5-0 at the Skuna Stadium on Tuesday night.

Sol Solomon hit a brace, while Finlay Sinclair-Smith, Connor Evans and Louis White all were on the scoresheet for the Lilywhites.

The Colls went into the fixture after two late goals against Whitby Town and were looking to build upon a noble performance.

But they were dealt an early blow, as Solomon was on hand to convert an expertly-delivered cross after a quick counter attack caught the Colls cold.

After this goal, the Colls appeared to thaw in the bitter conditions as hard work from Adam Dawson to force a rare error from the Marine defence led to Oli Putnam unleashing a curling effort from the edge of the area which was turned around the post by former Stripes man, Luke Hutchinson.

The first half appeared to be stuttering out with neither side really making any clear-cut chances until Sinclair-Smith slipped in between the Atherton central defenders collecting a long ball, only to be denied by Joe O’Shaughnessy in the home goal.

The beginning of the second half was briefly halted by a floodlight stoppage at the Skuna Stadium, though when the lights switched back on, the Colls didn’t.

It was Sinclair-Smith who wouldn’t be denied a second time on the hour mark, carrying the ball forward before unleashing a right-footed effort into the back of the net from just outside the area to double the lead.

The Colls responded positively as the returning Lewis Mansell chested the ball to Adam Dawson, who found Dylan Moonan just outside the area, but he could not quite get his foot around the shot and Hutchinson held on to the effort.

Dawson had control of the ball in the middle of the park before an apparent foul wasn’t given after he was pulled back and this non-call from the referee allowed a slipped pass for Connor Evans to slip the ball pass the outrushing O’ Shaughnessy.

The fourth would follow shortly after as Louis White received the ball just inside the area and calmly dispatch the ball into the far corner.

The third in a tumultuous five minutes, and fourth in 10, would come as the Colls were caught on the ball and Solomon was given the chance to complete his double and finish the scoring for the Lilywhites.

The Colls will be looking for a big response on Ssaturday when they travel to Warrington Rylands (3pm).

Then, on Boxing Day, Workington AFC visit the Skuna (3pm).