WANDERERS will wait until they have negotiated Tuesday night’s FA Cup replay with Luton Town before deciding how to proceed with their replayed match against Cheltenham Town.

Saturday’s home fixture with the Robins was abandoned after 29 minutes with the score-line goal-less after a supporter went into cardiac arrest in the East Stand.

At 3.29pm referee Sunny Singh Gill stopped play, bringing the players back down the tunnel a couple of minutes later. At 4.02pm the crowd was informed that the decision had been taken to postpone the game with the blessing of both clubs and the officials.

The Whites face logistical problems in the remaining months of the season with only a couple of free midweek slots still available. Should they progress against Premier League Luton, their January 27 match at Carlisle United will also have to be rescheduled to accommodate a fourth round match against either Crystal Palace or Everton.

Three days later they face Blackpool in the Bristol Street Motors Trophy quarter final at Bloomfield Road, where victory would ensure a midweek fixture on the week commencing February 19.

Though entirely hypothetical at the moment, were Wanderers to reach the final there would then be another game (Bristol Rovers away) which would need to be addressed.

An international break could also force the rearrangement of Shrewsbury Town’s visit on March 23.

A free midweek slot is available for Bolton next Tuesday but Cheltenham play against Burton Albion the same night.

It is not the first time this season that a League One game has been abandoned because of a medical emergency in the crowd.

Leyton Orient – who provide Bolton’s next league opposition – halted their match against Lincoln City in October after 82 minutes when referee Stephen Martin was alerted to the situation by a supporter who had run on to the pitch.

Home fan Derek Renyolds was given CPR at the side of the pitch but, sadly, it was announced the following day that he had passed away.

Though the home side had led 1-0 when the players were taken off the pitch it was decided to replay in the match in full the following month. Lincoln won 1-0 with a late goal from Ethan Hamilton.

The EFL issues the following advice to fans if a medical emergency arises in a football stadium.

“With over 20 million supporters attending EFL fixtures each season, there will be occasions where a supporter will require medical treatment during a match.

“The health and safety of everybody attending matches at EFL Clubs’ stadiums is of paramount importance, so fans can be reassured that all Clubs have a Matchday Medical Plan with dedicated crowd medical teams in stadia, ready to assist at any point during the match. “If a supporter becomes unwell at an EFL Club’s stadium and requires medical assistance, then we strongly advise that the nearest steward is made aware, who will ensure that the crowd medical team is notified and that appropriate care is provided.

“It is important to note that the responsibilities of the crowd medical teams are separate to club medical support teams for players.

“This season, a number of EFL matches have been paused while medical treatment has been provided to supporters. On several occasions, the usual Matchday Medical Plan has been bypassed with members of the Clubs’ on-pitch medical teams called in to assist.

“Supporters are asked not to alert players or staff on the pitch as in most cases the crowd medical team will be able to provide medical care as the match continues.

“Should a situation arise where there is a need for the match to be halted, a decision will be taken between the crowd medical team, the ground safety team and the match officials with the information relayed to the supporters at the ground.

“This is in line with the briefing note produced by National Events Medicine Advisory Group (NEMAG) in conjunction with the Sports Grounds Safety Authority’s (SGSA) and football authorities.

“Again, it is important to remember that if you have any concerns or need assistance while at the match, then please notify your nearest steward.”