WANDERERS had to settle for a point against struggling Charlton Athletic, twice coming back from a goal down in the second half.

The Addicks had not won a game since November and had League One’s second-worst away record behind rock-bottom Carlisle United. But they gave Ian Evatt’s side a mighty fright in a game that was hard to predict all afternoon long.

Victor Adeboyejo’s opener was cancelled out by Thierry Small and then Lloyd Jones – both profiting from some dreadful Bolton defending.

Paris Maghoma got Bolton level again but that was followed quickly by a controversial third for Daniel Kanu, scored as Josh Dacres-Cogley lay prone in the penalty area with a head injury.

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson grabbed another equaliser and the Whites tried desperately to find a fourth deep into stoppage time, to no avail.

Wanderers made three changes to the side that beat Wycombe, bringing in Zac Ashworth, Josh Sheehan and Adeboyejo replacing Nat Ogbeta, Aaron Morley and the injured Dion Charles.

The first half might have started brightly, but it soon descended into a right mess for the Whites, who let themselves down badly in defence to go back in at half time 2-1 down.

Things looked bright when Zac Ashworth’s cross was turned in at the near post by Adeboyejo for his ninth goal of the season.

The new strike partnership of Adeboyejo and Aaron Collins had shown some promising signs in the opening 20 minutes and had nearly linked-up moments earlier when debutant Small played a blind back-pass to keeper Harry Isted, setting Adeboyejo free on goal.

The lead lasted just three minutes, however, as Small drifted a rather tame cross in from the left which dropped over Eoin Toal and striker Freddie Ladapo, and then bounced past Joel Coleman into the net.

That was not an isolated issue of miscommunication, either. Wanderers looked nervous whenever Charlton stuck the ball into the box, and keeper Coleman – in for the injured Nathan Baxter – will not want to see a replay of either of Charlton’s first-half goals.

Five minutes before half time, more sloppy defending gifted the Londoners a lead. George Dobson’s corner arrived at the edge of the box with Lloyd Jones reacting quickest to send a low shot dribbling past a prone Coleman into the net.

The home crowd made their annoyance perfectly clear at the interval, and Evatt made a change in attack, bringing off his goalscorer for Jon Dadi Bodvarsson.

Wanderers showed a lot more energy at the start of the second half and quickly got themselves level again – Maghoma twisting and turning in the penalty box before curling a delightful shot into the top corner.

It would have been a brave person to put money on Charlton at that point, with the atmosphere suddenly buoyant around the Toughsheet and Bolton starting to find their rhythm. But just 10 minutes later the jeers appeared again, only this time directed towards official, Ross Joyce.

Charlton were on the attack when Josh Dacres-Cogley caught a stray arm in the face, falling to the floor. Bolton’s players looked to the official to stop the game – but Charlton carried on, and with the Whites defenders stood in stunned bemusement, Daniel Kanu nudged the ball into the net from close range.

Once again, Bolton found a way to pull level. Dacres-Cogley picked himself up and after some intricate build-up on the right, his cross was turned into the net by sub Bodvarsson for his second goal in four days.

But could Bolton find their way back into the lead? Maghoma had a golden chance to get a second, skipping past a couple of challenges to get a clear sight of Isted’s goal, only to blast a shot high and wide when more finesse was needed.

The fourth official flashed up nine minutes of stoppage time – and Chuks Aneke sent hearts fluttering with an angled drive which was pushed over the bar by Coleman.

Charlton killed all the time they could to hold on to a point, with keeper Isted spending a fair bit of time getting treatment. The irony of referee Joyce stopping the game instantly for this to happen was not lost on 20,000 Boltonians.

In the 100th minute, and following a succession of corners, Gethin Jones rose to head Aaron Morley’s cross just wide in what proved to be the final chance of the game.

Nathan Jones and his Charlton players went over to take the applause of their small contingent after the final whistle. Wanderers’ own walk around the emptying stands was rather more reflective.

There were six goals but not much to be thrilled about.