Atherton Collieries slipped to a 2-1 home defeat in their rearranged NPL Premier Division clash with Guiseley on Tuesday night.

The hosts began brightly against a Guiseley outfit managed by former Bury boss Andy Welsh.

Playing down the slope, Colls forced a free-kick and a corner in the first two minutes.

On 13 minutes Lewis Thompson hit the post with an angled drive with visiting stopper Ollie Battersby beaten.

Jordan Scanlon was proving a handful on Atherton’s right and fired wide from a promising position on 15 minutes.

Atherton had the territorial advantage and on 25 minutes an overhead kick by the dangerous Enock Lusiama was bravely blocked at close range by Ollie Brown.

As half time approached, the Lions grew into the game more, but had only misdirected headers by Tom Denton and Reece Kendall, a testing shot by Prince Ekpolo and a foray into the area by Jordi Nsaka to show for it as the first period ended goalless.

As soon as the second half kicked off it was clear Guiseley meant business and they began to string passes together.

On 47 minutes a Johnson strike was ruled out because the ball had run out of play before Nsaka crossed it, but the Lions were starting to purr.

Nevertheless, it was a stroke of luck which brought the opening goal. Denton laid off a long clearance to Liam Tongue who broke wide before sending in a tame effort to the near post, which somehow slipped through Tom Donaghy’s grasp and rolled apologetically into the net.

Donaghy redeemed himself moments later by tipping over a fine volley by Nsaka after a good cross by Brown and a Kendall header from a Leigh Whelan corner was then tipped on to the bar as the visitors began to dominate.

Then, on 74 minutes, Guisely made it 2-0 when a long Battersby kick fell to Gabriel Johnson, who cleverly made space and curled the ball into the bottom left corner.

The game looked safe for Guiseley but with 10 minutes to go, Colls launched an incisive counter attack, the ball was slipped inside Nsaka and the resulting low cross was prodded home by Lusiama for his 10th goal since signing in November.

It may have led to a frantic finale but Guiseley were able to see out the match without any serious alarms.