Daisy Hill had a night to forget on Wednesday when they crashed to a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Garswood United in the semi-final of the Atherton Charity Cup.

Two first-half goals from Jebrin Jawad put the visitors in control, and once Joe Everard and Neil Weaver had added two more by the midway point in the second half, there was never any doubt about the outcome.

Daisy skipper Jake O’Brien offered no excuses after the game.

“All we can do is apologise to the management team after that performance, it was nowhere near good enough,” said O’Brien.

“Individual mistakes cost us the goals, but really there were mistakes all over the pitch.

“Garswood picked the right side for the game and they were miles better than us.

“We looked like a team that had just rolled up to play, and hope the lads up front would do it for us, and that doesn’t work at this level - everyone has to be bang on.

“I think we could have played all day and into tomorrow and never scored, it was just one of those days for us.

“I don’t think playing two games in three days helped us, but there’s still no excuse for that performance.

“They played the occasion better than us, and congratulations to them.

“We have to have this in the back of our minds now, how horrible it feels, and we need to use that as motivation for the game a week on Saturday against Walshaw Sports (in the Bolton Hospital Cup).

“We’ll sleep on this tonight but can’t just go past it, we need to be looking back at this.

“Everyone needs to look at their individual performances, look at themselves, and look to put it right in the next game”.

The evening got off to a bad start when Garswood opened the scoring in the third minute, with slack play by Daisy at the back coughing up possession, and when the ball was squared to Jawad he had time and space to comfortably slot home.

Daisy did create some half-chances as the half wore on, with an O’Brien shot saved by Garswood keeper Ryan Jones, a cross-shot from Jamie Ramwell that just missed the far post, and the same player narrowly missed the target with a shot from the edge of the box.

But two minutes before half time, Garswood doubled their lead when Daisy keeper Morgan Newns could only push out a shot from Weaver and the loose ball was tapped in by Jawad.

Any lingering hopes of a Daisy comeback were dashed when Garswood added a third goal three minutes into the second half, with Everard side-footing home at the second attempt after Newns had blocked his first effort.

Lewis Falkner came close to adding a fourth goal 10 minutes into the second half when he curled a shot just past the outside of the post from 25 yards, but Daisy’s respite was only temporary as a fourth goal did arrive on 64 minutes.

Again, the Daisy defence were slow to react when Newns blocked a shot from Jamal, and Weaver seized the loose ball to smash home from the edge of the box.

Daisy did keep going and after Ramwell glanced a header wide from Harvey Roberts’s cross, Sam Twist hit the bar with a well-struck effort from 20 yards.

But those were isolated moments in a second half the visitors controlled almost from start to finish.

Daisy’s next game is a week on Saturday in the Bolton Hospital Cup quarter-final, when they host Walshaw Sports at the Plumb Factory Stadium (3pm).