Eagley lifted the Bolton Hospital Cup in convincing style last Friday evening when they defeated CMB 5-1 in the final at the Neuven Stadium in Radcliffe.

A four-goal haul for striker Finlay Stafford that earned him the man-of-the-match award was the highlight of a fine all-round performance from the newly-crowned West Lancashire League Division One champions, who turned in a stylish display of attacking football that their 10-man Premier Division opponents could not match.

And manager Neil Hart was delighted with the win. He said: “Football is all about making memories and that is what we have done tonight.

“I know CMB had a man sent off, but I felt we were always in control. When we got the ball in the final third, I thought we were creating some fantastic openings when it was 11 against 11.

“We know we have real quality and pace at the top end of the pitch, and I said to the lads before the game that intensity and movement was going to win us the game and that proved to be the case. Some of the football we played in the final third was outstanding.

“At times we make life difficult for ourselves and put ourselves under pressure, but I thought the way we reacted when they scored their goal was great, and I thought that Jordan Lomax at the back for us was outrageously good.

“He’s the elder statesman if you like, with a lot of young kids alongside him, but he marshalled them superbly, along with Josh McGreavy the goalkeeper.

“I really expected a close and tight game, with maybe the odd goal in it, so to win it like we have done is incredible. I can’t praise the lads highly enough, to dominate the game like we did.

“I always know we have goals in us, we have scored a lot this season and when we get on a roll, we are always a threat.

“This just rounds off an unbelievable season. I’m so proud of the players, they are such a good group and such a good squad and what they have done this season is remarkable”.

The evening went well for Eagley right from the start when they took the lead after only three minutes from the penalty spot.

Alfie Cowen went down under a challenge from CMB’s Oliver Turner as he raced along the bye line, and after the referee pointed to the spot, Stafford stepped up to make no mistake from 12 yards.

From that point on, Eagley were always on the front foot as an attacking threat, and on 17 minutes they came close to doubling their advantage when CMB keeper Joe Leather made a fine block from a Stafford shot before Cowen smashed the loose ball wide.

The near miss sparked a frantic period of play where Eagley poured forward and created a succession of chances, with centre-half Lewis Nolan twice hitting the woodwork.

His first effort on 21 minutes was a 25-yard lob that rebounded to safety, and after Cowen and Stafford were denied by two more good saves from Leather, Nolan got his head to a corner from captain Kieran Sisson that grazed the top of the bar.

CMB’s first clear chance arrived on 36 minutes when Ben Thornton had a shot beaten away by Eagley keeper Josh McGreevy, but any hopes of a CMB revival were dealt a major blow two minutes later when they were reduced to 10, with Turner being shown a second yellow card for a trip on Cole Collins.

As the first half moved into stoppage time, Eagley doubled their lead with a fine finish from Stafford.

Harry Wood won a battle for the ball on the left and drove a low cross in to the box, which Stafford picked up with his back to goal, before turning past the covering defender and beating Leather with a sweet strike.

Eight minutes into the second half, Stafford completed his hat-trick with another successfully converted penalty, awarded after Collins had chased a Ben Kirkman through ball, only to be tripped by CMB’s James Garsden.

But to CMB’s credit they dug in and began to enjoy a larger share of possession as the half wore on, and at the midway point they managed to pull a goal back with the third penalty of the evening.

CMB’s Dylan Winstanley was blocked by a defender as he advanced into the penalty area, and although the referee initially waved play on, he eventually awarded the spot-kick following advice from his assistant.

Daniel Crook gave McGreevey no chance with a taken penalty, to reduce the arrears, but despite their best efforts, the CMB front men got little joy out of a well-marshalled Eagley defence led by the commanding Jordan Lomax.

With seven minutes remaining, Eagley restored their three goal lead with a fine solo goal from Cowen, who outpaced the CMB defence on the left before cutting inside and burying a shot across the keeper into the far corner of the net.

A minute from time, Cowen turned provider, with another left wing run that led to him firing a cross to the far post that was headed back across goal by Sam Rigby and Stafford had a simple finish from close range to bag his fourth goal of the game, and round off a great night for the Eagles.

CMB manager Matt Taylor said: “We had the early penalty (awarded against CMB) and I think a bit dubious is the politest thing you can say about that.

“The fact none of their players appealed is the telltale sign, and the linesman didn’t see anything either.

“But after going behind to a dodgy penalty, the real killer for us was the sending off, and the fact that Eagley are a very good side meant that it was going to be a long night for us, which is a shame.

“When it was 11 against 11, we were okay, but a goal down and down to 10 men it was contest over really.

“We tried, and to give us credit we scored to get it back to 3-1, and we had a bit of a spell then but our lads were tired, against 10 men on a big pitch it was difficult, but fair play to them.

“Dylan (Winstanley) was up front on his own, because of the tactical changes we had to make after going to 10 men, and he was feeding off scraps.

“But there is a bigger picture to what we have done in the Hospital Cup this season. When the draw was made, we were still challenging for the league and we had a cup final in the Richardson Cup to come as well.

“You can only use 20 players (in the Hospital Cup), and once you have used 16 in the first game you are up against it, so we decided to bring some lads in who hadn’t had many minutes this season.

“We have had a successful competition, and just to get to the final is great for us. I am really proud of the young lads who came in, proud of the team, and we have had a brilliant season.

“It wasn’t to be tonight, but the result doesn’t detract from what has been a great season.

“We’ve won the Richardson Cup which is the biggest cup the club has ever won, and everyone knows the circumstances of how we lost the league in the 97th minute on the final day, so I couldn’t be prouder of the lads.”