PHIL Parkinson insists he should not have been sent to the stands during Wanderers’ 5-1 defeat at Wolves.

For the second time this season, the Whites boss had to vacate the touchline after a heated argument with opposite number Nuno Santo.

Parkinson could now face a touchline ban in the Football Association decide his actions were over the top – but speaking immediately after the game he plans to speak with referee Keith Stroud to plead his case.

“I am going to go and see the ref,” he said. “We have just had an argument on the touchline. That happens every single week.

“The fourth official seems very young and inexperienced. If managers are going to get sent off for arguing in the dugout then there’s going to be none of us left.

“It was only an argument. They jumped up responding to Wheater’s tackle, I was frustrated with how many of them had jumped up and how vociferous they were. They were not happy with the tackle.

“We exchanged a few words but that’s not anything that doesn’t happen every single week.

“All he had to do was come over and say ‘come on lads, manage it, settle down.’”

It is understood Parkinson and Nuno did meet after the game and shook hands.

Wanderers were outclassed, with Parkinson adding the Molineux men would win the Championship by “at least 10 points.”

But from his own side’s perspective the Whites boss was disappointed with his team’s defending against the division’s highest-scoring team.

“We gave some poor goals away against a very, very good side,” he said. “I have got to say Wolves are by far the best team in the Championship, have spent millions of pounds all over the pitch and they have got Premiership quality through the team. However, the first two goals we conceded, from the set play and the ball over the top, our judgement wasn’t right.

“Against a good side you have to give yourself more of a chance of staying in the game.

“At 3-1 we were back in it, went 4-4-2, and it opened up. When you do that you become vulnerable.”

Nuno backed up Parkinson’s stance, insisting there had only been an exchange of words.

"This is something that happens every week in football – there was a tackle which I think was tough and I reacted to it and there's an argument, nothing more than that,” he said.

"The referee stepped in and thought we should go out. He did his job.

"I speak now with Phil, we had a good conversation so it's nothing that doesn't happen.

"I've sorted it with Phil – we're grown up men.

"When the referee speaks with us we were totally calm, but it was his decision.

"It's not acceptable – I have to say I'm sorry for my behaviour.

"I have standards. Before I'm a manager I'm a person, I live in society and respect every single human being."