TEN-MAN Bury held on to beat Leicester City U21s after a double from Dominic Telford proved to be enough to earn an important three points in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Despite Callum McFadzean seeing red for a professional foul after 14 minutes, a clinical Shakers side held on for the win, even though they saw little of the ball.

The deadlock was broken after just four minutes, a wide ball from Callum Hulme finding Joe Adams on the left-hand side.

He skipped past Louis Ramsay before delivering a floated cross to the back post which was met by Telford to head back across goal past the helpless Eldin Jakupovic in the Leicester goal.

Tyrese Shade looked to be through on goal for the visitors on 14 minutes before he was cynically pulled down by Bury full-back McFadzean, leaving referee Ollie Yates no choice but to give him his marching orders.

After the sending off Leicester began to dominate, and they were quickly rewarded when Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall and Callum Elder combined, the later delivering a lovely ball across the face of goal which was met by an unmarked Shade to slot home.

The dominance continued with Dewsbury-Hall firing wide from 25 yards before goalscorer Shade was presented with a golden opportunity at the back post, only this time completely missing the ball.

The majority of Leicester’s success was coming down their left-hand side, Elder and Thakgalo Leshabela combining well to create a number of chances that were wasted.

Bury threatened just before the break, a cross from Joe Adams well met by Darnell Johnson to deny Telford at the back post.

On the stroke of half time Leicester’s Josh Knight found himself with a free header inside the six-yard box from a corner, only to see his effort blaze high over the bar.

Leicester continued to dominate the ball after the break, a wayward cross from Elder nearly catching keeper Matthew Hudson out, striking the top of the bar before going out for a goal kick.

The rugged Bury defence were rewarded for their work on 67 minutes, a lovely backheel from Jamie Barjonas found Ryan Cooney on the by-line who then sublimely cut back for Telford to grab his second goal of the game against the run of play, before being substituted by manager Ryan Lowe.

Moments later Leicester came close to equalising for a second time, another wayward cross deflecting off the bar before being hooked away by the Shakers' defence.

Despite desperately trying to find an equaliser, the visiting team struggled to create many clear-cut opportunities and keeper Hudson had very little to do.

A loose clearance from the stopper led to a free kick just outside the box, substitute Conor Tee delivering a great ball for Johnson to meet, before Hudson made up for his earlier error with a diving save to his left-hand side.

Leicester appealed for a late penalty when Kairo Edwards-John was brought down in the box but the appeals were correctly waved away by the referee.