DOMINIC Telford hit the winner as 10-man Bury booked their place in the third round of the Checkatrade Trophy with an impressive win at Mansfield Town.

Telford clinically finished after he was played clean through in the 35th minute to give the Shakers a richly-deserved win at their League Two promotion rivals.

It should have been even more comfortable with Telford guilty of missing a glorious second-half chance and Caolan Lavery fluffing his lines from the penalty spot.

But the visitors rarely looked like conceding in a game which they bossed from start to finish, though they did have to withstand late pressure after Stephen Dawson was sent off for fouling Tyler Walker with six minutes to go.

Bury showed their intent from the off with Chris Dagnall having a shot cleared off the line by Matt Preston inside the opening 30 seconds.

Callum McFadzean flashed a powerful cross on to the roof of the net minutes later.

Conrad Logan alertly smothered Dagnall’s cut-back as he looked to play in Telford.

Adam Thompson and Will Aimson both headed over from Jamie Barjonas free kicks as the visitors continued to boss possession.

McFadzean failed to find the target on 32 minutes after he beat a defender and cut inside the box before firing wide.

Neal Bishop side-footed an effort straight at Matthew Hudson as Mansfield finally had their first shot after 34 minutes.

Telford gave Bury a deserved lead when he clinically fired through the legs of Logan after an attempted clearance by Mal Benning fell into is path.

Walker smashed a long-range effort over two minutes later, before Otis Khan fired a tame effort at Hudson as the visitors continued to look comfortable.

Hudson saved low down by his left post from Bishop on 48 minutes as Mansfield showed improved attacking intent after the restart.

Aimson was booked on 53 minutes for bringing down sub CJ Hamilton after he was beaten for pace.

Hamilton had a goalbound shot accidentally blocked by Danny Rose from the resulting free kick before Jacob Mellis went close with a stinging half-volley.

Walker headed wide from a corner on 57 minutes as the home began to step up the pressure.

Telford missed a glorious chance to put the Shakers two up when he dinked the ball over the keeper and wide after was played clean through on 64 minutes.

Hamilton then dragged a shot across the face of goal from a narrow angle on 70 minutes as Walker closed in looking for a touch.

Hudson did well to get down and a push away a shot by Hamilton from the edge of the box on 75 minutes.

The visitors were forced to defend heroically in the closing stages after Dawson caught Walker late and was given his marching orders.

Lavery should have made the game safe but he saw his penalty brilliantly saved by Logan after Barjonas had been brought down when he rounded the keeper with four minutes to go.

But the Shakers held on to progress to round three.