RYAN Lowe told his Bury players not to 'let the dream of going to Wembley slip away' as his side roared back from two goals down to beat Accrington Stanley 2-4 and reach the quarter-finals of the Checkatrade Trophy.

The half-time team talk certainly did the job, too, as the Shakers recovered in style, overturning a 2-0 deficit with two goals from Dom Telford added to strikes from Nicky Maynard and Danny Mayor doing the business for Lowe.

"This is a special group of players don't forget, and at half time I said to them 'don't let the dream of going to Wembley slip away”, said the Shakers boss.

"In the end there were lots and lots of plusses and we've beaten a really good Accrington side.

"I thought we played some good football in the first half so we were all a bit disappointed to be two down at half time.

"They were a couple of poor goals to give away, but the lads responded brilliantly in the second half.

"We hadn't been clinical enough, but that certainly wasn't the case in the second half.

"We needed to sharpen up a bit going forward, and we did that.

"Overall, of course, I'm happy with the goals and really happy with the performance.

"Let's see who we get in the quarters now.”

Despite going a goal down, the Shakers maintained their decent early tempo, and they came close to a swift equaliser when Eoghan O'Connell volleyed narrowly over the top.

Stanley are going well in League One this term, however, and their threats throughout the team are numerous.

Attacking midfielder Sean McConville proved a big danger, not least when his curling free kick forced Shakers' 'keeper Joe Murphy into a terrific save.

The visitors responded with Telford seeing a shot cleared off the line by Will Wood, but again a missed opportunity was punished thanks to a second Stanley goal.

This time Clark squared neatly for an unmarked Billy Kee, and he couldn't miss from eight yards.

Skipper Adam Thompson, Telford and Mayor all fluffed presentable half-chances for Bury in the opening stages of the second period, so that at least signalled some intent.

The visitors then halved the deficit in the 55th minute.

Telford turned sweetly on the edge of the box before smashing home left-footed in off a post.

It was 'game on' two minutes later when sub Maynard fired home a rebound with his first touch after O'Connell's strike was blocked.

It was now anyone's tie for the taking, though there was a scare for the Shakers after 65 minutes when Mark Hughes somehow headed over the top from two yards.

The visitors turned the game around breathtakingly, however, as Telford converted Maynard's cross from close range to complete his brace, before Mayor hammered home a fourth from 15 yards with six minutes left.

Sub Maynard also had time late on to strike a post as rampant Bury almost grabbed a fifth.

Accrington (4-4-2): Maxted 6; Mohammed 6 (Mingoia, 46, 6), Hughes 7, Richards-Everton 7, Wood 6 (Sousa, 80, 5); Clark 8, Brown 6 (Finley, 71, 6), Conneely 7, McConville 8; Zanzala 6, Kee 7.

Subs not used: Savin, Williams, Mangan, Barlaser.

Bury (3-5-2): Murphy 7; Stokes 6, Thompson 7, O'Connell 6; Miller 7, Mayor 7 (J Adams, 90, 6), O'Shea 8, Cooney 6, McFadzean 7; Lavery 5 (Maynard, 53, 8), Telford 8 (Moore, 78, 6).

Subs not used: Moloney, Aimson, Omotayo, Hulme.

Referee: Matthew Donohue.

Attendance: 1,136.