BURY manager Ryan Lowe believes his side were worthy winners after they staged a gutsy second-half fightback to defeat derby rivals Oldham 3-1.

Nicky Maynard scored a late brace and Caolan Lavery also found the net to give promotion-chasing Shakers bragging rights, after Callum Lang had given the visitors the lead.

The victory means Bury are still unbeaten since Boxing Day and Lowe hailed the effort put in by his players after the restart in the pulsating League Two encounter.

“Fair play to the lads, they've been terrific in the second half,” he said. “They've taken it in their stride and in the end, we were worthy winners, I thought.

"The second-half performance was brilliant. We finally converted some good chances.

"It doesn't matter whether you score from three yards or 20 yards, it's about how you create the chances and then go and put them in.

"We'll just keep ourselves focused now, because this is still a very tough league, of course. Lincoln, Mansfield, MK Dons, Colchester – they're all really strong sides, but it is still all about what we do.

“I'm just concerned about us. There's no time to rest neither. We've got a massive game against Portsmouth in the Checkatrade Trophy on Tuesday and the focus is now firmly on that.

"Let's hope the fans turn out again and roar us to another big victory. Jordan [Rossiter] doesn't get many goals, but he does an absolutely great job in that midfield.

"You can just see he's got that quality that really stands out. He sees things that other players don't, and that can help make a big difference in big games like this.”

Amid a white-hot atmosphere at a packed Gigg Lane, it was the Shakers who threatened first in the fifth minute as Maynard saw his thumping shot palmed away by Daniel Iversen.

The visitors struck three minutes later, however. Jose Baxter dragged a low cross back into the path of Wigan loanee Lang, and he forced the ball home from inside the six-yard box.

Bury almost equalised when Latics' skipper Peter Clarke cleared Callum McFadzean's effort off the line, with Byron Moore firing the rebound over the top from eight yards.

Oldham's goal was beginning to lead a charmed life as unmarked defender Will Aimson then blazed woefully over the top, but the visitors managed to maintain their lead until half time.

It was Latics who created the first chance of the second period, with young loanee Zak Dearnley firing in a 20-yard drive which Joe Murphy saved well.

Oldham finally got their goal in the 72nd minute. McFadzean crossed in low from the left and there was Maynard, who bundled the ball home despite the brave efforts of Clarke.

Five minutes later the game was turned on its head when the Shakers struck again as Lavery scored after Nicky Adams delivered a dangerous cross.

Maynard made it 3-1 late on as he nipped in front of George Edmundson to tap home.