MIKE Walsh had been given the go-ahead to continue as Bury boss by chairman Terry Robinson and major shareholder Hugh Eaves – now he wanted to build a promotion-winning squad.

Having been given a clear directive to ‘take us up’ from the boardroom, Walsh identified what he needed to turn the team into winners in 1994/1995.

He had already added the likes of Lennie Johnrose, Chris Lucketti and Ryan Cross in a season which would end in mid-table obscurity but now had his eyes on strengthening further.

And there was a distinct shift away from the developing younger talent - which the club had been compelled to do in recent years - towards the finished product.

“I am looking for a defender who can organise things and talk the younger players through games,” he said. “We also need to fill a gap in midfield and bring in a big, strong centre-forward.

“We have some excellent young players and they can only benefit from having more senior professionals on the field.

“The younger players will have gained from this season’s experience and if we can get the men we want then we will be even better equipped.”

Flashback photo

The Bolton News:

ONE of the most exciting players to come through the Shakers’ system in the late sixties, Scottish winger Jimmy Kerr would sadly remain a case of unfilled potential when he left Gigg Lane for Blackburn Rovers. Aged just 20 he headed to Ewood Park for £40,000 – although some reports valued the deal higher – but picked up a serious injury just a few weeks into his Blackburn stay and his professional career ended there.

This week in Shakers history

1961 Dave Russell’s Shakers had already clinched promotion but added the league title to their trophy cabinet with a 3-0 victory against Hull City – Bury’s first such honour since 1895.

The team broke all sorts of records that season – registering a club-best 108 goals, most points, most away victories and most games without defeat.

1975 Derek Spence proved the match-winner in successive games as Bury beat Watford at Gigg Lane and Charlton Athletic at the Valley to inch away from the relegation zone in Division Three.

He would cap an excellent week by winning his first international cap for Northern Ireland against Yugoslavia.

1986 Flying full-back Lee Dixon scored his sixth goal of the season as Bury beat Blackpool 4-1 at Gigg Lane to effectively secure their Third Division status. The defender was soon to be crowned the club’s young player of the year and would sign for Stoke City the following summer.