A DETERMINED and gritty second-half performance from Tyldesley gave them a bonus-point 26-17 win at Hoylake.

They did not make it easy for themselves, though, having to come from 17-7 down, eventually scoring the try to secure the bonus point with the last play of the game, for the second successive week.

Not much separated the two sides, with both having a couple of half-decent chances and a relatively, equal share of possession and territory.

Bongs struck first, after electing to go for the corner, from a penalty awarded.

From the resulting line out, they drove forward, via some solid pick-and-drives which brought some reward, through prop forward Damien Twizell, who touched down under the posts. Paul Martin converted.

Hoylake hit back with a converted try after charging down a Tyldesley kick, and then took the lead through a converted penalty on 26 minutes to make the half-time score 10-7.

The second half did not start well for Tyldesley, who were reduced to 14 players nine minutes in, with Hoylake stretching their lead to 10 points with their second converted try.

However, Bongs responded superbly and had the better of the play for the remainder of the game. On the back of some good attacking kicks, which kept the hosts pinned back, superb defending and counter-rucking saw the visitors win possession back.

With 16 minutes of the second period gone, Bongs pulled to within five points of Hoylake after solid forward plays enabled Mark Dickinson to touch down for an unconverted try.

Just six minutes remained when Dickinson hit a great line before linking well with Ash Worsfold, and crossed for his second try, the successful conversion putting them two points in front.

From the restart, Tyldesley sent the ball back downfield in a bid to keep Hoylake pinned back and run the clock down.

Just seconds remained when more Tyldesley pressure resulted in a turnover.

The ball was moved out to Danny Berrisford, who finished off in style, and Martin’s second conversion of the half completed the scoring and snatched a losing bonus away from Hoylake.

Bongs’ man of the match was Jack Weaver.

Tyldesley’s second team beat Broughton at home 32-14 while the thirds made it a clean sweep with a 62-8 win at Marple.

This weekend the first XV host Glossop, while the second team travel to Rossendale.