HOLDERS Queen Anne began their defence of the Bolton at Home Sunday League's Open Cup with a 3-0 first-round victory against Astley Bridge Elite.

Queen Anne started on the front foot, putting their Division One opponents under a lot of pressure and within 15 minutes they found themselves with a two-goal lead thanks to former Astley Bridge player Chris Donahue's brace.

The second-placed top-flight side were dominating and scored again before half time thanks to an excellent strike from Kris Powers.

The second half got under way and third-placed Astley Bridge looked more dominant, however with the damage already done in the first half Queen Anne saw the game out.

The only game to be played in Division One this week saw Farnworth United take on Top Club with Farnworth winning 3-1 thanks to goals from Joe Cappy (two) and Gaz French.

In Division Two, second-placed Westhoughton took on third-placed Wellington and both sides played their part in an exciting 4-4 draw.

Westhoughton started the brighter and within five minutes they found themselves two goals up thanks to Chris Thompson's double.

Wellington started to feel their way into the game and with 25 minutes gone they scored their first with a sublime finish by Shane Gartside.

A minute before half time they got an equaliser, again through Gartside.

Westhoughton came out in the second half much stronger and after 10 minutes they regained the lead with a nice finish from Josh Pennington after some excellent work by Jack Berry.

The game was now end to end with both teams creating chances.

And Wellington winger Kieron Wise produced a moment of class to get their third goal when he picked the ball up on the halfway line and beat two defenders before hitting a shot from 30 yards right into the top corner.

Both teams were going for victory and Westhoughton thought they had the match winner when winger Mickey Hughes slotted the ball past the Wellington keeper with only five minutes remaining.

However, with two minutes left on the clock, Wellington won a corner which Wise delivered and there was centre-half Mark Trent to head the ball home for a well-deserved equaliser.

The only other game to be played was between Deane FC and Heaton Casuals, with Deane claiming all three points with a 3-1 victory thanks to goals from Yaz Smajic (two) and Nathan Hatton.