THEY won the match 4-1 but Bolton men’s first team will be unhappy to have let complacency creep in against Didsbury fifths.

Unbeaten Bolton top North West League Division Four North and after Joel Reiss scored the opening goal, hosts Didsbury fought back to equalise.

Any Bolton players who thought it would be an easy outing were forced to think again and raise their game. This they did and Carl Philbin collected Damien Pearse’s return pass and scored to put Bolton back in front, a lead they held at the break.

In the second half Bolton still played mainly as individuals and, although Pearse netted with a neat chip from the top of the D and Rob Lord dodged and weaved in the area to put in number four it was a dissatisfying win for Bolton.

Bolton’s ladies firsts were punished twice in the first 10 minutes at Sale and never got back on terms, losing 3-2.

Bolton did pull one back after a mazy run from Vicky Dean set up Jenny Brookfield, but some near misses in front of goal from Chrystal Swaries meant they turned around 2-1 down.

In the second half Sale put together some good moves and after the visitors’ keeper Sian Godwyn made some great saves she was eventually beaten for Sale’s third.

Brookfield converted at a penalty corner to set up an exciting finish but they could not find a third goal despite relentless pressure.

The seconds hosted Stockport in a miserably wet start to the weekend’s fixtures, the 2-0 result at least offering some cheer.

Good early link-up work from Debbie Green and Becky Denton led to early pressure and at a short corner Viv Lake pounced to put Bolton ahead.

Bolton held off a few attacks from Stockport who played some nice hockey but were thwarted by good defensive work from Imogen Hall, Rachel Dudley and Debbie Nicholson and late in the day Fiona Clarke set up Jess Flegg to calmly slot in Bolton’s second goal to seal victory.

The men’s second XI hosted Didsbury fourths but went down 7-0 after conceding two in the first five minutes and three more before half time.

Bolton improved slightly in the second half but it took some stout defence from Ryan Aldred and goalkeeper Tom Brants to keep the scoreline down.