BOLTON Hockey Club’s men kept up their bid for promotion in the North West League Division Three North with a 6-1 victory at South Lakes.

Although Bolton went into the game with a weakened team it was an even encounter for much of the first half.

James Robinson scored two quick goals on the break beating the defence and keeper with ease, and with Scott Mather added another goal before the break the half-time score was 3-0, thanks in part to some great saves from young goalkeeper Max Turner.

Damien Pearse extended the lead with Bolton’s fourth in the second half but their goal was finally breached after some extended pressure from South Lakes.

Martin Luke restored the four-goal cushion with a strike from a short corner, and a great team goal was finished off by Pearse for his second to complete the scoring.

It was a good team performance on a tough trip that leaves Bolton just five points from the promotion places.

The second team fared less well, suffering a 3-2 derby defeat at home to Horwich.

The visitors edged an end-to-end contest after they took the lead and then fell 2-1 behind.

Horwich dominated the early stages of the game and led through Matthew Kirk.

But Bolton immediately responded with centre-back Marcus Starr slotting the ball into the net from close range after a short corner.

Bolton then took the lead as Sam Williams finished off from a sensational aerial ball from Reece Holmes.

Horwich responded with two quickfire goals from Andy Barr early in the second half to restore their advantage and with no more scoring they ran out 3-2 victors.

The club’s ladies first team eased to a 3-0 win at home to Didsbury Greys.

Applying immediate pressure on Didsbury for the opening 10 minutes, Bolton went ahead with a fine team goal, finished with an impressive reverse-stick smash into the back of the net from Jenny Brookfield.

Bolton were on top and they made it 2-0 when Louise Bull’s drag-flick saw the ball fly into the air before being inadvertently guided into the goal by a Didsbury stick.

After going into the break 2-0 down, Didsbury came out fiercely, turning the ball over and upping the pace, to the extent that Laura Watson’s frantic last-ditch challenge saw her sent to the sin bin.

Despite being down to 10 players, Bolton rallied and regained control and, once their captain had returned, they sealed victory with a third goal.

A powerful break upfield led to a scrappy pasage of play in the Didsbury D, and Rachel Gibb pounced to score her side’s third goal and complete the victory.