Another exclusive from Chief Soccer Writer Gordon SharrockAlthough the game was played at Highbury after Arsenal's move to the Emirates Stadium, Wanderers FA Cup clash at Arsenal on Sunday, January 28, brought back memories of one of their most impressive sequence of results in modern times.

The "White Hot" years as they came to be known after then Bolton Evening News Editor Andrew Smith coined the front page headline for wins at Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal in the early 90s, entered fans' folklore.

Andrew has written a special article for this website recalling those heady times HERE. Chief Soccer Writer Gordon Sharrock, pictured, was at all the games, of course, and you can remember the excitement of those great triumphs in our reports reprinted from the Bolton Evening News below.

And now Burnden hero Tony Kelly has added his own memories of the famous day he "scored" a tremendous free-kick at Highbury which would have made the score 4-1 HERE.

If you were at any of the games or have any special memories send your comments to Internet Editor Chris Sudlow HERE.

How it all began: A thrilling 2-0 win at Anfield in January, 1993 WHITE HOT 1: January 13, 1993


THE date will be forever red in the Bolton Wanderers calendar.
It will go down in history as the night 8,500 Bolton fans, a magnanimous beaten manager and the famous Kop saluted each and every one of Bruce Rioch's heroes.
Bolton Wanderers, the club that in days long gone revelled in FA Cup glory, became true giant-killers for the first time last night.
Every player outstanding in his own right, they outplayed the proud holders, who knew they'd survived a fright at Burnden in the first game but didn't for one minute think they'd be so humiliated in the replay.
Yet Wanderers were in charge from start to finish, even before John McGinlay headed them in front so spectacularly in the third minute. When Andy Walker headed the second 11 minutes from time it merely confirmed their overwhelming dominance of an amazing cup tie.
They controlled the game, played the better football and quite ruthlessly embarrassed the most successful club side of modern times.
This was no fluke. There were no hard luck stories for Graeme Souness to relate as he reflected on the effective end of Liverpool's season � in mid-January would you believe? No Anfield manager has been in that position for more than 30 years.
True, Liverpool are not the side they were � even before being ravaged by injuries. Nevertheless they were still able to field seven internationals.
Take nothing away from Wanderers. Last night they damaged the bedrock of Merseyside football. They might even have signalled the end of an era � although not a single Bolton player would delight in that.
What they will delight in is a richly deserved win � one of the most remarkable victories in their history, which includes four tremendous FA Cup triumphs.
They tried to milk the occasion for all it was worth but the celebrations in front of their vast army of ecstatic supporters were all too brief. Each Bolton player would have embraced every fan, if time had permitted.
The scenes were fantastic.
Those who saw it witnessed a famous victory, the biggest upset of the season. But, to those who have seen this revitalised Bolton side set standards higher than anything seen in more than a decade, the performance was no real shock.
Maybe others will now start to wonder why David Lee didn't make it at Southampton. We all continue to be puzzled by Liam Brady's opinion that Andy Walker was surplus to requirements at Celtic.
What people might now start acknowledging is that Wanderers can be a force in the game. But that is for the days to come. The night that mattered saw Lee, in breath-takingly menacing mood, set up one of the most comprehensive demolition jobs ever effected on a Liverpool side.
He left Mike Marsh for dead before deIivering the perfect early cross for McGinlay to head home at the back post to give Wanderers a dream start.
They'd had a similar early tonic, also from McGinlay, in the first game. But the difference was that this time they weren't going to waste it.
They had their scares. Keith Branagan came to the rescue when Ronnie Rosenthal got the better of Mark Winstanley. Then Winstanley atoned for that clumsiness and his own goal in the dramatic second half of the Burnden game with three magnificent saving tackles, first on Rosenthal then twice on Mark Walters.
Mark Seagraves got away with a dangerous back-header when Rosenthal shot wide and David Burke survived strong appeals for a penalty when he bundled Walters off the ball.
All the time Lee was causing mayhem at the other end, bamboozling the Liverpool defence with a remarkable display. One run took him from inside his own half, past three defenders and into the penalty area, where his final shot was deflected off target by Jamie Redknapp's last ditch tackle.
In fact, had his finishing been better, he might have had a hat-trick. But wasn't that the story of the game?
Strangely, the 1-0 half-time lead at Anfield didn't seem as precarious as the 2-0 lead at Burnden. Such was Wanderers control of the proceedings. The back four magnificent, midfield over-running the Liverpool quartet and the strikers always menacing.
The confidence was not misplaced. Wanderers never looked like surrendering what they had worked so hard to achieve.
Branagan had to save well from Redknapp and the switch of full-backs (Rob Jones giving Marsh a break from the awesome tack of marking Lee) kept things quiet for a while. But it said everything about Wanderers dominance when the bewildered Kop began to plead: �Attack! Attack!�
There were even signs that Wanderers, who knocked the ball around confidently throughout, were actually taking the Mickey with some sweet, sweeping, even arrogant passing play!
When John Barnes, almost as anonymous as in the first game, headed Marsh's corner into the side netting, it was a reminder of the vulnerability of a one goal lead. But the doubts lasted only until McGinlay skipped past Stig Bjornebye and supplied another early cross for Walker to head his 18th goal of the season. The contest was over and suddenly the penny dropped that Wanderers have a fourth round date at Molineux on January 24.

Victory over Everton at Goodison Park in 1994 WHITE HOT 2: January 19, 1994


NOW the whole of Merseyside � the blue persuasion as well as the red � will be forever haunted by the spirit of Bolton Wanderers.
Giant-killers supreme, Bruce Rioch's boys completed a never-to-be-forgotten FA Cup double, pairing glory at Goodison with last season's Anfield triumph, on a night when Premier League reputations once again counted for nothing.
Passion, desire and a neversay-die spirit set up a fourth round showdown with Arsenal, the holders, in 11 days' time. And you can bet all the marble in Highbury's famous halls that George Graham will not relish his visit to Burnden one bit!
They said the Anfield success could not he equalled but there are some in the Wanderers camp who rate last night's victory as an even greater achievement.
Two goals down 30 seconds into the second half and the manager's half-time words blowing in the wind, lesser teams would have wilted. But John McGinlay's sweet strike, Alan Stubbs's opportunism to capitalise on a Neville Southall fumble and Owen Coyle's killer finish in the first period of extra time said more about the character of this Bolton side than the 2-0 trouncing of Liverpool.
"It was better because we did it the hard way!" was McGinlay's assessment. "At 2-0 down nobody would have fancied us!"
Even Rioch was honest enough to admit: "At 2-0 I thought it might not be our day!" But the Burnden boss knows better than anyone that his side can never be written off. Liverpool thought they were onto a good thing when they rescued the tie at Burnden last year; the entire Second Division had dismissod Wanderers' promotion credentials until they finished the season with five straight wins; and, just when the Everton faithful in the third biggest Goodison crowd of the season were ready to celebrate a replay romp, they proved the doubters wrong once again.
Mike Walker laid into his players for allowing the tie to slip from their grasp. No Premier League team, he argued, should throw away a two-goal lead.
But Everton were powerless against the spirit of Bolton Wanderers.
When they thought they were coasting, they were hit by a white tidal wave that proved to he an irresistable force.
Coyle, recalled after being banished to the reserves for what Rioch described as �speaking out of turn� in a critical newspaper article in Scotland, missed a golden opportunity to put Wanderers in front on 24 minutes, overstretching and stabbing a shot which Southall saved with his shins.
So when Stuart Barlow � the man the Goodison cynics have nicknamed Jigsaw because he falls to pieces in the box � latched onto Peter Beagrie's defence-splitter, rounded Mark Winstanlcy and put Everton in front on 28 minutes, you could be forgiven for thinking Wanderers had truly missed the boat when they failed to finish it at Burnden.
After all that had been said pre-match, the team that shouldn't have needed motivating simply didn't perform in the first half.
Rioch thought he had sorted things out during the interval but he saw them caught cold, Barlow bravely getting in a header a split second before colliding with Aidan Davison after Gary Ablett headed on Ian Snodin's free-kick.
Ten or 15 minutes of Everton control and not even Wanderers could have found a way back. But there was something fateful about the way Scott Green and Coyle managed to turn Jimmy Phillips' deep cross into McGinlay's path and it was as if the Scots goal star was merely fulfilling some sort of destiny when his left foot volley found its way in off Southall's fingertips and Hinchcliffe's boot.
Wanderers knew they were now in with a shout but they needed stability and patience. The stability came with the introduction of Kelly - like Stubbs a boy-hood Everton fanatic. The patience came in the shape of a return to the passing and moving game that Rioch has preached since his arrival at Burnden.
Apart from frantic and increasingly desperate attempts to rescue something at the end, Everton were out-played from that point on.
Stubbs was unlucky with a header that beat Southall and was cleared by Hinchcliffe but six minutes from the end of normal time, he had all the luck and, considering what the chance meant to him and the team, all the composure in the world when Southall bumped into Ablett and dropped David Lee's cross.
Stubbs has struck the ball cleaner in his time but never with such stunning effect. With Wanderers playing all the football, it was no surprise, although a thrill nevertheless, when Lee's jinking run, Jason McAteer's carefully weighted pass and Coyle's stylish finish, put them ahead in the tie for the first time with 100 minutes on the clock.
Robert Warzycha, who had re-placed the dazzling but dazed Barlow, shot into the side netting while Phillips and Stubbs managed to make dramatic clearances under nail-biting conditions. But the sight of Everton players losing their cool and the sound of the Goodison fans venting their frustrations told Wanderers they had this one in the bag.
"To come from behind against any Premier League side is a great achievement," Coyle said as his match-winner was being toasted by 8,000 ecstatic Bolton fans. "At 2-0 it would have been easy to think about trying not to be humiliated. But this team never knows when its beaten. The character is unbelievable."

Static HTML image WHITE HOT 3: February 9, 1994


THE Triple Crown is in the bag � now it's all systems go for the Grand Slam.
After rocking the foundations of Anfield and sending shock waves through Goodison, Wanderers hit Highbury with a hat-trick clinching hurricane.
Now the most feared giant-killing force in the land is ready to annihilate Aston Villa in the fifth round of an FA Cup competition that is fast becoming a graveyard for the Premier League set.
Only seven of the last 16 are from the top flight and, although Bruce Rioch has expressed his doubts, this could turn out to be the year of the underdog. This could be the year of Bolton Wanderers!
This Highbury highlight will rank as the club's greatest single triumph since they lifted the FA Cup at Wembley in 1958. It even eclipsed the two third round upsets on Merseyside - at Liver-pool last year and at Everton three weeks ago.
It was achieved at the citadel of one of the most formidable clubs. Arsenal � a team third in the Premier League, holders of the two major domestic knockout trophies, the nation's sole survivors in Europe and beaten only once in 28 cup ties � were put to the sword by the �upstarts� from the First Division of the Endsleigh Insurance League.
Proud and triumphant Bolton captain Phil Brown, who led the team at Anfield and Goodison, rates the victory as bigger and better than anything that has gone before.
"A bigger win than either Liverpool or Everton!" he claimed, without reservation. �They came on this back of lulls in the other clubs' fortunes. Graeme Souness was having a bad time and Mike Walker had just arrived.
"Arsenal is a club settled in its ways. George Graham is one of the best managers in the country. That's what makes it better."
Jason McAteer, who matched his performance in the first game with another goal to cap another tireless display, suggested: "This has got to be one of the biggest games in Bolton's history and I'm just proud to have been part of it."
McAteer's strike, in the ninth minute of extra time, put Wanderers 2-1 ahead � the third time they had been in front in a tie which saw Rioch's underdogs outclass and outgun the cup holders over 210 minutes.
For the manager who has taken Bolton from one high to another in his 19-month reign, the triumph was in the proud tradition of one of the FA Cup's most famous clubs. "This was a great night for the team, a great feeling for the supporters � those who were here and those who couldn't get here � and for the town. Industry will pick up because people are happy.
"Bolton has a cup tradition and that stands for a great deal. Winners in 1923, 26 and 29, finalists in 1953, and back again as winners in 1958.
"We haven't even thought about Aston Villa yet. We'll just take stock of this game first.�
Taking stock is a satisfying exercise � even though Rioch was not altogether happy with the performance.
Wanderers weren't as fluent as they can be but they refused to be overawed, matched the Gunners head on and having taken the lead through John McGinlay in stunning fashion on 20 minutes, always looked capable of adding another famous scalp to their collection. George Graham moaned about the chances his side missed and the gift of the first two goals.
Kevin Campbell fluffed so many opportunities he was given the �John Barnes� treatment by the angry Arsenal crowd whole Graham � ignoring two strong penalty appeals his defence survived � claimed it should have been sewn up inside 90 minutes.
But the Arsenal boss was wrong to suggest McGiinlay was offside when he reacted first to nod Brown's overhead kick past David Seaman after Tony Kelly had rescued one of Mark Patterson's least impressive corner kicks. He had cause to grumble though when Nigel Winterburn's backpass blunder led to the decisive second goal.
Owen Coyle pounced and, when his shot came back off the post, McAteer was there to add another string of noughts to the figures the speculators continually add to his valuation!
In between, Tony Adams and Ian Wright � scorers at Burnden � managed to cause enough confusion to distract Aldan Davison and turn Lee Dixon's long throw into an equaliser for Alan Smith.
There were chances and heartstopping moments before Wanderers got their noses in front again but Arsenal were a spent force by the time Andy Walker made the game safe � largely due to the efforts of an outstanding Bolton defence in which Alan Stubbs was a colossus.
However, the third goal did more than just emphasise the magnitude of this famous victory. It came in Walker's third appearance as substitute and precisely 305 days since his name � once such a regular feature � last appeared on a firsr team scoresheet.
More than 4,500 Bolton fans created a carnival atmosphere at the Clock End with a sea of blue and white balloons at the start and ended with optimistic chants of �We want four!� as Kelly lined up a last minute free kick.
Sadly, Worcester referee Gerald Ashby denied the supporters and Kelly the satisfaction, making him re-take the kick after he had comprehensively beaten Seaman only to have his �goal� disallowed for encroachment by Martin Keown, who had earlier been booked and was duly sent off!