ANDY Procter rejoined former club Accrington Stanley on a two-year deal just hours after being released from his contract at Bury.
The move fuelled rumours the Shakers were set to go back in for Stanley’s 22-year-old attacking midfielder Kal Naismith, but sources close to the east Lancashire club said no offers had been received for the player.
And a deal now looks unlikely before the transfer window closes at 11pm tonight (Monday, September 1).
David Flitcroft made it clear after Saturday’s 2-1 victory over Accrington that Procter, who he placed on the transfer list at the end of last season, would not be let go on the cheap.
But his contract, which had just under 12 months remaining, was terminated by mutual consent earlier today, freeing up Procter’s move back to the club he once captained.
“I think Accrington were trying to do something with him (Procter),” Flitcroft said after Saturday’ match.
“What I do know with Proc is, come Monday, if nothing has happened, we won’t be letting people go for no money.”
But he added: “Proccy is in a place where he has to get out and start playing again. He’s got 40-odd games left in the season and can make a big difference for someone.”
Flitcroft suggested Bury, who are understood to have made a £20,000 offer for Naismith last month, would not be pursuing any permanent deals in the transfer window but may be interested in a loan signing.
He also ruled out pursuing Naismith after their offer was made public by Accrington, but the club's decision to waive a fee for Procter was seen as a sign they may be interested in reviving the deal.