A man who assaulted his wife leaving her with bruising has been ordered to keep his distance.

John Taylor, who lives in Farnworth, pleaded guilty to assaulting and engaging in controlling/coercive behaviour.

Bolton Crown Court was told the relationship between the two started in 2012 but it started to deteriorate when Taylor started to drink heavily.

Prosecuting barrister Simon Blackbrough described how his wife, who The Bolton News has chosen not to name, had twice tried to leave her relationship with Taylor but he had ‘emotionally blackmailed’ her into returning after threatening to kill himself.

Sign up to our newsletters to get the latest stories sent straight to your inbox.

The 46-year-old of Lichfield Close, Farnworth, continued to drink and became increasingly controlling, the court heard, threatening to harm himself and making threats to his wife's former partner.

The court heard an argument took place after his partner woke Taylor, whom she found ‘drunk and asleep’ on the sofa.

The Bolton News: John Taylor was sentenced at Bolton Crown Court on ThursdayJohn Taylor was sentenced at Bolton Crown Court on Thursday (Image: Jack Fifield, Newsquest)


Her phone was knocked out of her hand in the incident which happened last summer.

She was then pushed by  Taylor and restrained by him.

The court heard he grabbed both of her hands around her wrists and then grabbed her legs, causing visible bruising and reddening.

Defending, Mark Friend pointed out that Taylor had already been in custody for six weeks, and said the defence did not oppose a restraining order.

The defence argued that the sentence should fall at the midpoint or lower end of the range available, and asked that any financial orders take into account that Mr Taylor had not received a wage ‘for many months’.

Sentencing, Judge Close said Taylor had behaved ‘quite appallingly’ and that his threats to kill himself would ‘inevitably have an emotional impact’ on his children.

Follow The Bolton News on Facebook, Instagram, X (Twitter), and TikTok.

He added that he intended to pass a single sentence to reflect the whole of the criminality, describing Mr Taylor’s actions as ‘an ongoing pattern of abuse’.

Handing Mr Taylor a suspended sentence, Judge Close said he believed that there was a ‘realistic prospect of rehabilitation’ given his abstinence from alcohol following his six weeks in custody and his lack of relevant previous convictions.

Taylor was given a suspended sentence of six months for engaging in controlling/coercive behaviour, and a concurrent sentence of two months for common assault. He was also ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work, 15 rehabilitation activity requirement days, and to undertake a ‘Building Better Relationships’ course.

Additionally, Mr Taylor was handed a restraining order for five years, meaning he cannot make contact or attempt to make with his wife, and must stay away from her home address.

No order for compensation or costs was made due to his financial position.

If you have a story, I cover the whole borough of Bolton. Please get in touch at jack.fifield@newsquest.co.uk or click to send me a message on WhatsApp or on Signal on 07517566383.