The rebuilding of a Bolton special school for hard-of-hearing students is back on the cards after it was backed by funding from the government.

Thomasson Memorial Special School's problems range from a flood two years ago to the discovery of asbestos at two separate times.

The rebuilding of the special school for hard-of-hearing students from the Bolton Council area, as well as from the area of a dozen other authorities, hit a hurdle in 2022 after a petition by parents and supporters from the National Deaf Children's Society was unsuccessful in swaying the Department for Education (DfE) to add the site on Devonshire Road to the first round of its School Rebuilding Programme.

However it is back on the cards after it was backed by funding from the government in an announcement on another round of the programme on February 8.

ALSO READ: Bolton RAAC schools no longer exempt from inspection

Headteacher of Thomasson Memorial Special School, Lisa Lane, said: "The DfE has not only acknowledged but understood the challenges we face on a daily basis.

"Their commitment to addressing these issues through the creation of a new build demonstrates a dedication to supporting our children in their learning journey. 

"This collaborative effort marks a significant step forward in shaping a brighter future for deaf education."

Martin Donaghy, the council's cabinet member for children's services, said: "We have known for some time the school building is no longer fit for purpose and I am delighted the DfE is of the same view.

"The hard work and dedication of the staff has been making up for the building’s shortcomings, but it is time these pupils get the facilities they deserve.

"I would like to thank the parents, staff, governors, DfE partners and everyone involved for their hard work in getting this funding decision over the line."

ALSO READ: Bolton's council tax rise is one step away from approval

Ahead of the announcement the special school was set to relocate to temporary accommodation at Halliwell UCAN to allow for repairs, which were set to take eight months.

In light of the announcement the council said it is set to relocate to temporary accommodation which is "more suitable" although the timetable is unknown at the time of writing.

This article was written by Jack Tooth. To contact him, email or follow @JTRTooth on Twitter.