The paramedic who treated a man who died shortly after being detained by police has said he had no issues with the resuscitation efforts of officers.

Muhammedou Kinteh entered the Newbury Convenience Store on St James Street in Farnworth. 

The 45-year-old had behaved erratically and had got into a confrontation with staff in the shop.

After he was restrained police came and arrested him before realising he was in cardiac arrest.

He was taken to Royal Bolton Hospital where he died later that day.

An inquest into his death is taking place at Bolton Coroners' Court.

As the death took place after he had been detained by police, a jury is required to determine the case.

The court previously heard he behaved erratically and was wielding a knife which was used to stab boxes and threw items at another customer.

Read more: Tributes to two month old who died in sleep

Read more: 56-year-old woman died after drug overdose

Read more: Leigh man died after being arrested by police

The inquest heard from Paul Lowe, a paramedic from the North West Ambulance Service who attended at the scene.

He said: “I remember going in.

“I recall seeing there was a lot of damaged stuff.

“There had been some sort of incident.

“I remember police officers were there.

“They took us to the back of the counter and I remember seeing the patient.”

He said police officers had been attempting CPR and was asked whether he had any issues with the way they were doing this.

He said: “I felt like the CPR was good, having been on previous incidents with the police it is usually good.”

The paramedic also said the patient’s jaw was very tight, which he had never seen before in someone in a state of cardiac arrest.

He said during the journey to the hospital a heartbeat was twice detected including just as they arrived at the Royal Bolton.

The court was previously told the cause of death was cardiac failure with underlying causes of coronary artery atheroma, cocaine use and the pathophysiological effects of the struggle inside the store.

The inquest, before Coroner Peter Sigee, continues.