A 10-year-old boy from Bolton with a rare bone condition died in a tragic accident after his electric wheelchair fell while he was on the way to school.

Ibrahim Sirajudin suffered from osteogenesis imperfecta type three.

His electric chair toppled over while he was being taken to school by his carer from his home on Fifth Avenue, Heaton, in November last year.

He was taken first to Royal Bolton Hospital and then to the Manchester Royal Children’s Hospital where he died later that day.

An inquest into his death took place at Bolton Coroners Court.

In a statement mother Zaynab Sirajudin described him as a “sociable” boy who “enjoyed everything in life, loved meeting people, being with people, loved school, loved his friends” and had a “great sense of humour who found it easy to connect with people and to make friends”.

She said on the morning of November 14 his carer came to take him to school from his home.

While they moved up the road the carer left Ibrahim unattended momentarily to get items from her car.

During this time his chair fell to the ground.

The carer, in a statement, said he had turned around before the fall.

But coroner Timothy Brennand said this was not shown on the CCTV.

He said: “It was parked on a damp boggy verge.

“The wheelchair has moved and toppled, following which he has sustained a head injury when he made contact with the adjacent roadside.”

Read more: Atherton man died aged 30 after leg infection

Read more: 36-year-old died after hitting head on stairs

Read more: Loving dad died aged 52 after health struggle

The cause of death was given as an acute subdural bleed caused by head trauma with an underlying cause of his osteogenesis imperfecta type three.

The coroner accepted this and recorded a conclusion of accident.

He said: “The position on the road that was adopted by the health carer has caused an inadvertent chain of events.

“This is a salutary example of where someone is in a position of dependency such as Ibrahim was, even a momentary lapse in care and supervision can risk unintended consequences.”