Wedding cake to feed 5,000 given to charity
A NEWLY-married couple have shared their enormous wedding cake with their “Bolton family”.
The cake, big enough to feed 5,000 people, has been shared out between seven local charities after the wedding of law firm director Bilal Akram and Khair Un Nisar on Sunday.
Now, 25-year-old Mr Akram, who is compliance director of Asons in Bark Street, and his 21-year-old wife, have donated portions of the cake to Bolton CVS, based at Bolton Growth Hub, Bolton Hospice, Urban Outreach (the Foodbank), the YMCA, Homestart Bolton, Bolton Lads and Girls Club, and Bolton Women’s Refuge.
The multi-tier cake stood 10ft tall with a base measuring five feet and was the centre piece of the banquet.
Mr Akram said: “My wife and I had a fantastic time on Sunday. Family is everything. Our local charities, volunteers and support groups are like an extension of family for many people, providing critical support to those people in Bolton who really need it, whether it be our children, grandparents, or friends.
“That takes a lot of hard work that goes largely unseen. We donated our wedding cake to those people who do so much for so many. If it put a smile on people’s faces, it makes it all worth it.”
Guests flew from Pakistan, Germany, Spain, France and Portugal as well as travelling from across the UK to attend the society-style wedding at the weekend.
Luxury cars, including Rolls Royce Phantoms, Bentleys and Porsches were parked outside the 3D Centre.
Mr Akram is the most recent addition to the board at Asons, joining his brothers Kamran and Imran, who also run the firm. The couple are honeymooning in Dubai and Malaysia before travelling to Saudi Arabia for a holy pilgrimage.
A 10FT CELEBRATION CAKE WITH A DIFFERENCE
- The cake was made by a “top secret” midlands company, which also makes cakes for Harrods.
- The base was five feet wide and there were seven tiers in total — each tier measuring one foot thick.
- The total height of cake was 10ft.
- Flavours were chocolate, red velvet, madera and walnut.
- The design on the cake was made to match the stage decor and all elements of the sweet creation were handmade.
- The cake was driven to the venue at 7am on the day of wedding and it took four hours to assemble it on site.
Comments are closed on this article.