Do you want fries with that? Teacher holds revision classes in McDonald's

The Bolton News: Caroline Molyneux and her pupils get down to revision at McDonald’s Caroline Molyneux and her pupils get down to revision at McDonald’s

SHE organises revision sessions in McDonald’s and makes a beeline for those who tell her they do not like science.

Now Caroline Molyneux’s dedication to inspiring the next generation has seen her as one of just three teachers nationwide shortlisted for the prestigious 2014 School Biology Teacher of the Year Award.

The award recognises the “very best and most inspiring biology teachers”.

Sharples School teacher Miss Molyneux said: “I was put forward for the award at my old school — Balshaw in Leyland.

“They kept it from me until I was shortlisted. I’m just one of three people — it was a big surprise.

“The assessors visited Sharples High School and spoke to the pupils — it is always nice to be nominated but it’s fantastic that this is because of student nominations.”

The assistant headteacher has been teaching for nine years. Before that she was a post-graduate researcher at the University of Molecular Microbiology where she found she enjoyed teaching.

Now she teaches biology, chemistry and astronomy. Miss Molyneux is also an educational leader for the National Space Agency.

She said: “If anyone tells me they don’t like science, I will find out why. Here we make science exciting and interesting.”

Miss Molyneux said: “Balshaw is an outstanding school and Sharples is on its way to being outstanding. I wanted to be part of that.”

As well as in the classroom, Miss Molyneux, who has been teaching for nine years, can be found in McDonald’s in Astley Bridge at the weekends staging revision sessions for GCSE pupils.

She said: “We stage revision sessions in school and we started this one a month ago. It has been really successful. It is quite relaxed and informal and the pupils stay for quite a bit.

“Some have their breakfast or their lunch, and there are ice-creams on hand as we look through past papers.”

Miss Molyneux added: “I think teaching is a vocation, and not just a job. I love it and to support the children in helping them get the most out of their five years in school.”

Dr Mark Downs chief executive of the Society of Biology said: “Excellent teachers have a profound positive effect on their students’ learning, career choices and aspirations.

“It is rewarding to know that once again, the entrants for this award are teaching outstanding and innovative lessons which inspire their students.”

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:32am Fri 30 May 14

filthy6 says...

Great article & good for her but shame it had to be McDonalds
Great article & good for her but shame it had to be McDonalds filthy6
  • Score: 12

11:00am Fri 30 May 14

Gore Seer says...

I Just Wonder If These Awards Are Just A Little Made Up Nonsense, Just A Propaganda Stunt.
I Just Wonder If These Awards Are Just A Little Made Up Nonsense, Just A Propaganda Stunt. Gore Seer
  • Score: -19

11:12am Fri 30 May 14

Chrome1 says...

I know, why the bloomin' heck does she have to choose a greasy fast food chain? I agree also that 'national' awards are just a publicity stunt. There are thousands of teachers out there that are probably brilliant at what they do it's just they are never recognised.
I know, why the bloomin' heck does she have to choose a greasy fast food chain? I agree also that 'national' awards are just a publicity stunt. There are thousands of teachers out there that are probably brilliant at what they do it's just they are never recognised. Chrome1
  • Score: -3

11:28am Fri 30 May 14

Puffin-Billy says...

Disgraceful.

This is England not America.

They're CHIPS not fries.

Doesn't she know there is an obesity epidemic raging throughout the western world because of the crass lifestyle of consumerist greed that she is promoting.
Disgraceful. This is England not America. They're CHIPS not fries. Doesn't she know there is an obesity epidemic raging throughout the western world because of the crass lifestyle of consumerist greed that she is promoting. Puffin-Billy
  • Score: -10

12:43pm Fri 30 May 14

Puffin-Billy says...

Puffin-Billy wrote:
Disgraceful.

This is England not America.

They're CHIPS not fries.

Doesn't she know there is an obesity epidemic raging throughout the western world because of the crass lifestyle of consumerist greed that she is promoting.
And - whilst biologists and other scientists in the food and drinks industry, - (whose bidding our government does) - try to convince us that we must accept genetically modified food, on the pretext that there is going to be a food shortage - we in the UK throw away around 15 million tonnes of food every year, and almost 50% of this comes from our homes.

Farmers are sometimes forced to waste between 20% and 40% of the food they produce,mostly for cosmetic reasons, a situation which has been brought about by the fast food industry and the supermarkets, which also are the cause of a vast amount of packaging waste.
[quote][p][bold]Puffin-Billy[/bold] wrote: Disgraceful. This is England not America. They're CHIPS not fries. Doesn't she know there is an obesity epidemic raging throughout the western world because of the crass lifestyle of consumerist greed that she is promoting.[/p][/quote]And - whilst biologists and other scientists in the food and drinks industry, - (whose bidding our government does) - try to convince us that we must accept genetically modified food, on the pretext that there is going to be a food shortage - we in the UK throw away around 15 million tonnes of food every year, and almost 50% of this comes from our homes. Farmers are sometimes forced to waste between 20% and 40% of the food they produce,mostly for cosmetic reasons, a situation which has been brought about by the fast food industry and the supermarkets, which also are the cause of a vast amount of packaging waste. Puffin-Billy
  • Score: -2

9:00am Sat 31 May 14

A Hybrid Lord says...

@Puffin-Billy: Oh dear, looks like the fun-police are out to spoil a good time.

Get a life miseryguts!
@Puffin-Billy: Oh dear, looks like the fun-police are out to spoil a good time. Get a life miseryguts! A Hybrid Lord
  • Score: 7

10:10am Sat 31 May 14

soup153 says...

I heard, guess where Miss took us? 'McNasties'
I heard, guess where Miss took us? 'McNasties' soup153
  • Score: 1

2:02pm Sat 31 May 14

mr.mark.c says...

Puffin needs to do some food revision, Fries and Chips have a difference, just look at them.
Also Fries are not American as you say but Belgian/French.

Well done Miss Molyneux, doing revision on neutral ground has to have nothing but positive results.
Puffin needs to do some food revision, Fries and Chips have a difference, just look at them. Also Fries are not American as you say but Belgian/French. Well done Miss Molyneux, doing revision on neutral ground has to have nothing but positive results. mr.mark.c
  • Score: 3

11:16pm Sun 1 Jun 14

lv8151 says...

i'll have a McMurder burger please
i'll have a McMurder burger please lv8151
  • Score: 1

7:47pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Puffin-Billy says...

mr.mark.c wrote:
Puffin needs to do some food revision, Fries and Chips have a difference, just look at them.
Also Fries are not American as you say but Belgian/French.

Well done Miss Molyneux, doing revision on neutral ground has to have nothing but positive results.
1. Yes fries are different from chips; that’s the very reason why I wrote the post.
2. The word fries, is an American English plural noun, used in the USA with specific reference to very thinly cut strips of potato: and so it isn’t in the ’96 Oxford English Dictionary. It refers to the French dish frites, a plural noun which refers to fried potatoes.
3. In North America, the singular noun chip refers to what the British call potato crisps.
4. The British English singular noun chip, is, according to the OED: a strip of potato, deep fried.
5. The Belgians claim that French fries are Belgian in origin, but they have no evidence for doing so, although most people in France associate fries with Belgium. Strangely enough, the Spanish claim that fries were invented in Spain.
6. French fries, or American fries are far less healthy than properly cooked British chips because fries which are mass produced are cooked in a mixture of about 7% cottonseed oil and 93% beef tallow which gives them flavour. They also coated with dextrose glucose sugar in order to improve their colour and flavour.
7. Mass produced fries also contain sodium (salt) and saturated fats. And the acryl amide which is produced when starch rich food stuffs are baked, fried, grilled or micro-waved at very high temperatures is carcinogenic, causing tumors and cancer. French Fries are fried at 190°C.
8. Fast food Fries have a greater surface area per amount of potato than properly cooked British chips whose recommended cross section is about half an inch. British chips are therefore by far the healthier option.

Time for a risk assessment Miss!
[quote][p][bold]mr.mark.c[/bold] wrote: Puffin needs to do some food revision, Fries and Chips have a difference, just look at them. Also Fries are not American as you say but Belgian/French. Well done Miss Molyneux, doing revision on neutral ground has to have nothing but positive results.[/p][/quote]1. Yes fries are different from chips; that’s the very reason why I wrote the post. 2. The word fries, is an American English plural noun, used in the USA with specific reference to very thinly cut strips of potato: and so it isn’t in the ’96 Oxford English Dictionary. It refers to the French dish frites, a plural noun which refers to fried potatoes. 3. In North America, the singular noun chip refers to what the British call potato crisps. 4. The British English singular noun chip, is, according to the OED: a strip of potato, deep fried. 5. The Belgians claim that French fries are Belgian in origin, but they have no evidence for doing so, although most people in France associate fries with Belgium. Strangely enough, the Spanish claim that fries were invented in Spain. 6. French fries, or American fries are far less healthy than properly cooked British chips because fries which are mass produced are cooked in a mixture of about 7% cottonseed oil and 93% beef tallow which gives them flavour. They also coated with dextrose glucose sugar in order to improve their colour and flavour. 7. Mass produced fries also contain sodium (salt) and saturated fats. And the acryl amide which is produced when starch rich food stuffs are baked, fried, grilled or micro-waved at very high temperatures is carcinogenic, causing tumors and cancer. French Fries are fried at 190°C. 8. Fast food Fries have a greater surface area per amount of potato than properly cooked British chips whose recommended cross section is about half an inch. British chips are therefore by far the healthier option. Time for a risk assessment Miss! Puffin-Billy
  • Score: -2

7:54pm Mon 2 Jun 14

mr.mark.c says...

Chips cooked in beef dripping, nom nom :)
Chips cooked in beef dripping, nom nom :) mr.mark.c
  • Score: 0

8:37pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Puffin-Billy says...

mr.mark.c wrote:
Puffin needs to do some food revision, Fries and Chips have a difference, just look at them.
Also Fries are not American as you say but Belgian/French.

Well done Miss Molyneux, doing revision on neutral ground has to have nothing but positive results.
Sorry - misunderstood your post - I meant to write "it's chips not fries" meaning the English say chips. Doh!
[quote][p][bold]mr.mark.c[/bold] wrote: Puffin needs to do some food revision, Fries and Chips have a difference, just look at them. Also Fries are not American as you say but Belgian/French. Well done Miss Molyneux, doing revision on neutral ground has to have nothing but positive results.[/p][/quote]Sorry - misunderstood your post - I meant to write "it's chips not fries" meaning the English say chips. Doh! Puffin-Billy
  • Score: 0

8:40pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Puffin-Billy says...

mr.mark.c wrote:
Chips cooked in beef dripping, nom nom :)
Properly cooked , and reet chunky, in beef dripping - is still healthier
[quote][p][bold]mr.mark.c[/bold] wrote: Chips cooked in beef dripping, nom nom :)[/p][/quote]Properly cooked , and reet chunky, in beef dripping - is still healthier Puffin-Billy
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree