Newsagent gets alcohol licence despite objections from nearby school

Newsagent gets alcohol licence despite objections from nearby school

Newsagent gets alcohol licence despite objections from nearby school

First published in News The Bolton News: Photograph of the Author by , news feature writer

A NEWSAGENT has been granted an alcohol licence — despite local schools and neighbours claim it will lead to alcohol-related crime.

Ary Muhamed, who has run Smaczek in Derby Street, Daubhill since 2008, submitted an application for a licence to sell alcohol between 8am and 11pm.

The licence was granted with an amendment to the hours — from 10am until 11pm — to bring it in line with other shops in the area.

In his application, Mr Muhamed stated that he will operate a challenge 25 policy, train staff appropriately and use compliance log books to help the police and authorities to carry out any investigations relating to crime.

However Sunning Hill Primary School chairman of governors, Farook Atcha, raised concerns about how near the shop is to the school and its impact on pupils if the licence was granted.

He said: “I have been here for 40 years and I know people congregate outside that shop. Being so close to the school, people under the influence of alcohol may cause a nuisance for the school.”

June Clarke, representing Mr Muhamed, said the objections were “based on presumption and fear” and not fact.

She added: “You say you have been in the area for a long time but you can’t recall one incident.

“Since February, 2013, there have been four burglaries, one anti-social behaviour incident, one theft and one vehicle crime incident. Nothing in 18 months is alcohol-related.”

Written objections were also made by Bolton Muslim Girls’ School and Mohammad Razzak, written on behalf of local residents, who submitted a petition with 29 names.

Ms Clarke added: “The application is very standard. It is not asking for anything out of the normal for trading hours. My client has experience in selling alcohol. He just wants to carry on his business.”

Bolton Council’s licensing committee granted the licence, making the amendment to the hours of trade.

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:48am Sat 19 Jul 14

Thatissowrong says...

That is so wrong.
That is so wrong. Thatissowrong
  • Score: -14

12:39pm Sat 19 Jul 14

pondis says...

Its ridiculous, a newsagents should be just that "a newsagents" leave the alcohol sales to pubs, off licences and supermarkets. Just my opinion but i don't understand why newsagents need to be the best place to buy super strength lager. This stuff is mostly bought by alcoholics who drink it on a park bench and leave the empty can lying around. That is how it affects children not that fact that its near a school.
Challenge 25 doesn't seem to mean anything to these newsagents anyway especially in Bolton, im constantly seeing kids walking the streets with big bottles of cider on their way to bridgeman park for a nights worth of weed.
Its ridiculous, a newsagents should be just that "a newsagents" leave the alcohol sales to pubs, off licences and supermarkets. Just my opinion but i don't understand why newsagents need to be the best place to buy super strength lager. This stuff is mostly bought by alcoholics who drink it on a park bench and leave the empty can lying around. That is how it affects children not that fact that its near a school. Challenge 25 doesn't seem to mean anything to these newsagents anyway especially in Bolton, im constantly seeing kids walking the streets with big bottles of cider on their way to bridgeman park for a nights worth of weed. pondis
  • Score: 14

1:45pm Sat 19 Jul 14

markthementalist says...

Who in the name of GOD buys SKOL?
Who in the name of GOD buys SKOL? markthementalist
  • Score: 27

4:03pm Sat 19 Jul 14

boltonnut says...

Not allowed to brink it but allowed to sell it.
Not allowed to brink it but allowed to sell it. boltonnut
  • Score: 19

4:42pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Gore Seer says...

I Personally Am Against Alcohol Sales ,By Shops, And Super Markets, Pubs Can Control The Sale Of Alcohol, Shops Just Sell Alcohol As Do Super Markets, But That Is My Opinion.
I Personally Am Against Alcohol Sales ,By Shops, And Super Markets, Pubs Can Control The Sale Of Alcohol, Shops Just Sell Alcohol As Do Super Markets, But That Is My Opinion. Gore Seer
  • Score: 0

5:11pm Sat 19 Jul 14

Chrome1 says...

He should be ashamed of himself.
He should be ashamed of himself. Chrome1
  • Score: 7

6:49pm Sat 19 Jul 14

the hand says...

If the chair of governors and the Muslim girls school was not listened to I reckon a back hander might be a safe bet em just a thought
If the chair of governors and the Muslim girls school was not listened to I reckon a back hander might be a safe bet em just a thought the hand
  • Score: 15

6:54pm Sat 19 Jul 14

the hand says...

markthementalist wrote:
Who in the name of GOD buys SKOL?
Come on mate don't you remember drinking it when you were about twelve and thinking it was the dogs **** now it's just taste like knats urine and remember Hagar the horribles song on Tele skol skol skol skol skol skol skol skol skol and little Viking couldn't remember the words priceless
[quote][p][bold]markthementalist[/bold] wrote: Who in the name of GOD buys SKOL?[/p][/quote]Come on mate don't you remember drinking it when you were about twelve and thinking it was the dogs **** now it's just taste like knats urine and remember Hagar the horribles song on Tele skol skol skol skol skol skol skol skol skol and little Viking couldn't remember the words priceless the hand
  • Score: 5

7:25pm Sat 19 Jul 14

mickbolton90 says...

To be honest who gives a s*** if u wanna drink drink if u wanna smoke smoke. As long as your happy f*** the rest. Go complain about all the take always and fast food chains obeisety kills more than alcohol
To be honest who gives a s*** if u wanna drink drink if u wanna smoke smoke. As long as your happy f*** the rest. Go complain about all the take always and fast food chains obeisety kills more than alcohol mickbolton90
  • Score: 13

9:44pm Sat 19 Jul 14

davelarkmanloveskids says...

all this anger about a shop selling alcohol. so what if its near a school. doesnt make a blind bit of a difference. the authorities grant he licence and they should be responsible for monitoring the shop. not the owners fault hes just trying to earn a living
all this anger about a shop selling alcohol. so what if its near a school. doesnt make a blind bit of a difference. the authorities grant he licence and they should be responsible for monitoring the shop. not the owners fault hes just trying to earn a living davelarkmanloveskids
  • Score: 6

2:23am Sun 20 Jul 14

Snakestail says...

Sunning Hill is in a heavy Asian area of Derby Street and Muslim's consider Alcohol to be haram (Or whatever their word for it is) so don't drink it, I can't imagine he'd get many customers coming to him at 10am to buy cheap beer and those that do will get in their cars or walk away with it to take it home. I can't see what difference a primary school nearby has on the application, a secondary school maybe, if some big 16 yr old that looks older tried to buy beer but not a primary school kid. As for anyone buying beer during school hours 9am to 3:30pm and drinking so much as to cause a nuisance to school kids...I am sceptical that such an occurrence would happen at all but even if it did, a quick call to Bolton Police from a school headmaster/mistress should have the blues and two's turning up pretty sharpish.
Sunning Hill is in a heavy Asian area of Derby Street and Muslim's consider Alcohol to be haram (Or whatever their word for it is) so don't drink it, I can't imagine he'd get many customers coming to him at 10am to buy cheap beer and those that do will get in their cars or walk away with it to take it home. I can't see what difference a primary school nearby has on the application, a secondary school maybe, if some big 16 yr old that looks older tried to buy beer but not a primary school kid. As for anyone buying beer during school hours 9am to 3:30pm and drinking so much as to cause a nuisance to school kids...I am sceptical that such an occurrence would happen at all but even if it did, a quick call to Bolton Police from a school headmaster/mistress should have the blues and two's turning up pretty sharpish. Snakestail
  • Score: 8

12:29pm Sun 20 Jul 14

LoveBolton says...

boltonnut wrote:
Not allowed to brink it but allowed to sell it.
To correct you not allowed to drink it and NOT ALLOWED TO SELL IT... This newsagent has no morals, I think the locals should boycott his shop and leave him to the late night alcohol shoppers.
[quote][p][bold]boltonnut[/bold] wrote: Not allowed to brink it but allowed to sell it.[/p][/quote]To correct you not allowed to drink it and NOT ALLOWED TO SELL IT... This newsagent has no morals, I think the locals should boycott his shop and leave him to the late night alcohol shoppers. LoveBolton
  • Score: 7

4:53pm Sun 20 Jul 14

JustBecause says...

Who said he was a muslim? Grow up, hes runn7ng a business, he has apllied for a licence and thats that.

The fact is that if this was mr smith and the muslim girls school managed to have a licence regected there would be an outcry from the biggoted racists on here.
Who said he was a muslim? Grow up, hes runn7ng a business, he has apllied for a licence and thats that. The fact is that if this was mr smith and the muslim girls school managed to have a licence regected there would be an outcry from the biggoted racists on here. JustBecause
  • Score: -5

6:59pm Sun 20 Jul 14

calvin street says...

JustBecause wrote:
Who said he was a muslim? Grow up, hes runn7ng a business, he has apllied for a licence and thats that.

The fact is that if this was mr smith and the muslim girls school managed to have a licence regected there would be an outcry from the biggoted racists on here.
runn7ng ALSO KNOWN AS running
apllied applied
regected rejected
biggoted bigoted
If you cannot even spell these right ,whats the point in posting anything. People have to read your posts 3 or 4 times to understand what you are saying.
[quote][p][bold]JustBecause[/bold] wrote: Who said he was a muslim? Grow up, hes runn7ng a business, he has apllied for a licence and thats that. The fact is that if this was mr smith and the muslim girls school managed to have a licence regected there would be an outcry from the biggoted racists on here.[/p][/quote]runn7ng ALSO KNOWN AS running apllied applied regected rejected biggoted bigoted If you cannot even spell these right ,whats the point in posting anything. People have to read your posts 3 or 4 times to understand what you are saying. calvin street
  • Score: 4

7:17pm Sun 20 Jul 14

JustBecause says...

calvin street wrote:
JustBecause wrote:
Who said he was a muslim? Grow up, hes runn7ng a business, he has apllied for a licence and thats that.

The fact is that if this was mr smith and the muslim girls school managed to have a licence regected there would be an outcry from the biggoted racists on here.
runn7ng ALSO KNOWN AS running
apllied applied
regected rejected
biggoted bigoted
If you cannot even spell these right ,whats the point in posting anything. People have to read your posts 3 or 4 times to understand what you are saying.
Grow up keyboard warrioir, try typing on a crappy samsung note......

If you need to read something 3 or 4 times suggest you go back to school.

So crack on reading all tbe posts and picking up on spellings, probably makes you feel important.
[quote][p][bold]calvin street[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JustBecause[/bold] wrote: Who said he was a muslim? Grow up, hes runn7ng a business, he has apllied for a licence and thats that. The fact is that if this was mr smith and the muslim girls school managed to have a licence regected there would be an outcry from the biggoted racists on here.[/p][/quote]runn7ng ALSO KNOWN AS running apllied applied regected rejected biggoted bigoted If you cannot even spell these right ,whats the point in posting anything. People have to read your posts 3 or 4 times to understand what you are saying.[/p][/quote]Grow up keyboard warrioir, try typing on a crappy samsung note...... If you need to read something 3 or 4 times suggest you go back to school. So crack on reading all tbe posts and picking up on spellings, probably makes you feel important. JustBecause
  • Score: -3

8:30pm Sun 20 Jul 14

calvin street says...

JustBecause wrote:
calvin street wrote:
JustBecause wrote:
Who said he was a muslim? Grow up, hes runn7ng a business, he has apllied for a licence and thats that.

The fact is that if this was mr smith and the muslim girls school managed to have a licence regected there would be an outcry from the biggoted racists on here.
runn7ng ALSO KNOWN AS running
apllied applied
regected rejected
biggoted bigoted
If you cannot even spell these right ,whats the point in posting anything. People have to read your posts 3 or 4 times to understand what you are saying.
Grow up keyboard warrioir, try typing on a crappy samsung note......

If you need to read something 3 or 4 times suggest you go back to school.

So crack on reading all tbe posts and picking up on spellings, probably makes you feel important.
you have spelt warrioir wrong. It is spelt warrior. You are getting better though. Keep going ,you will get there eventually.
[quote][p][bold]JustBecause[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]calvin street[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JustBecause[/bold] wrote: Who said he was a muslim? Grow up, hes runn7ng a business, he has apllied for a licence and thats that. The fact is that if this was mr smith and the muslim girls school managed to have a licence regected there would be an outcry from the biggoted racists on here.[/p][/quote]runn7ng ALSO KNOWN AS running apllied applied regected rejected biggoted bigoted If you cannot even spell these right ,whats the point in posting anything. People have to read your posts 3 or 4 times to understand what you are saying.[/p][/quote]Grow up keyboard warrioir, try typing on a crappy samsung note...... If you need to read something 3 or 4 times suggest you go back to school. So crack on reading all tbe posts and picking up on spellings, probably makes you feel important.[/p][/quote]you have spelt warrioir wrong. It is spelt warrior. You are getting better though. Keep going ,you will get there eventually. calvin street
  • Score: 1

8:56pm Sun 20 Jul 14

chris25 says...

i got some wine from morrisons with my main shop when taxi came he made me lift it into his boot would not touch the bag even ,only happened once .
i got some wine from morrisons with my main shop when taxi came he made me lift it into his boot would not touch the bag even ,only happened once . chris25
  • Score: 2

9:37pm Sun 20 Jul 14

lv8151 says...

calvin street wrote:
JustBecause wrote:
calvin street wrote:
JustBecause wrote:
Who said he was a muslim? Grow up, hes runn7ng a business, he has apllied for a licence and thats that.

The fact is that if this was mr smith and the muslim girls school managed to have a licence regected there would be an outcry from the biggoted racists on here.
runn7ng ALSO KNOWN AS running
apllied applied
regected rejected
biggoted bigoted
If you cannot even spell these right ,whats the point in posting anything. People have to read your posts 3 or 4 times to understand what you are saying.
Grow up keyboard warrioir, try typing on a crappy samsung note......

If you need to read something 3 or 4 times suggest you go back to school.

So crack on reading all tbe posts and picking up on spellings, probably makes you feel important.
you have spelt warrioir wrong. It is spelt warrior. You are getting better though. Keep going ,you will get there eventually.
Grammatical (or grammar) pedantry syndrome is an illness or a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder where someone has a compulsive desire to correct any grammatical errors one has made and is obsessed with taking this peculiar, constant, and vexatious (from the target's perspective) action.
[quote][p][bold]calvin street[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JustBecause[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]calvin street[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JustBecause[/bold] wrote: Who said he was a muslim? Grow up, hes runn7ng a business, he has apllied for a licence and thats that. The fact is that if this was mr smith and the muslim girls school managed to have a licence regected there would be an outcry from the biggoted racists on here.[/p][/quote]runn7ng ALSO KNOWN AS running apllied applied regected rejected biggoted bigoted If you cannot even spell these right ,whats the point in posting anything. People have to read your posts 3 or 4 times to understand what you are saying.[/p][/quote]Grow up keyboard warrioir, try typing on a crappy samsung note...... If you need to read something 3 or 4 times suggest you go back to school. So crack on reading all tbe posts and picking up on spellings, probably makes you feel important.[/p][/quote]you have spelt warrioir wrong. It is spelt warrior. You are getting better though. Keep going ,you will get there eventually.[/p][/quote]Grammatical (or grammar) pedantry syndrome is an illness or a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder where someone has a compulsive desire to correct any grammatical errors one has made and is obsessed with taking this peculiar, constant, and vexatious (from the target's perspective) action. lv8151
  • Score: 0

10:00pm Sun 20 Jul 14

nigella farrage says...

Does it matter if the shop is a newsagents or not or whether the owner is Jewish, Christian or a Muslim?

In fact none of the above apply. The owner is there to make a profit, just like any company, and will sell products that sell in order to make a profit and keep the business going. If it sells then the owner will continue to sell it, if not then the owner will quietly drop the product. By the sound of it there seems to be a demand for the shop to sell alcohol and as such the owner applied for a licence to sell it - it has been granted and now will give it a go. Whether it is a success or not only time will tell.

BUt as, if the picture suggests, the owner will be selling Skol and Bavaria, then I will not be buying from the shop, unless they also stock Estrella, Jan Hertog, Grolsch - Het Kanon or even Oranjeboom (export)!
Does it matter if the shop is a newsagents or not or whether the owner is Jewish, Christian or a Muslim? In fact none of the above apply. The owner is there to make a profit, just like any company, and will sell products that sell in order to make a profit and keep the business going. If it sells then the owner will continue to sell it, if not then the owner will quietly drop the product. By the sound of it there seems to be a demand for the shop to sell alcohol and as such the owner applied for a licence to sell it - it has been granted and now will give it a go. Whether it is a success or not only time will tell. BUt as, if the picture suggests, the owner will be selling Skol and Bavaria, then I will not be buying from the shop, unless they also stock Estrella, Jan Hertog, Grolsch - Het Kanon or even Oranjeboom (export)! nigella farrage
  • Score: -5

10:01pm Sun 20 Jul 14

nigella farrage says...

Oops forgot to mention my favourite 2 beers - Kwak and La Chouffe, with their respective "glasses"!
Oops forgot to mention my favourite 2 beers - Kwak and La Chouffe, with their respective "glasses"! nigella farrage
  • Score: -4

10:47am Mon 21 Jul 14

BlueRay79 says...

Skol! It was 20/20 or White Lightning when I was a kid. Did me no harm (sat in a corner rocking and dribbling).
Skol! It was 20/20 or White Lightning when I was a kid. Did me no harm (sat in a corner rocking and dribbling). BlueRay79
  • Score: 3

6:46pm Tue 22 Jul 14

lv8151 says...

BlueRay79 wrote:
Skol! It was 20/20 or White Lightning when I was a kid. Did me no harm (sat in a corner rocking and dribbling).
lmao ... mad dog 20/20 ..... had many a night i could not remember on that stuff
[quote][p][bold]BlueRay79[/bold] wrote: Skol! It was 20/20 or White Lightning when I was a kid. Did me no harm (sat in a corner rocking and dribbling).[/p][/quote]lmao ... mad dog 20/20 ..... had many a night i could not remember on that stuff lv8151
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree