Smoke alarm scare at Turton Tower

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a smouldering boiler room at Turton Tower.

Smoke alarms at the Grade I listed building started sounding at about 10am yesterday, alerting fire crews from Bolton Central and Darwen.

The boiler room, which is at the back of the tower was full of smoke when crews arrived, but there were no flames.

Firefighters discovered an over-flowing pile of ashes from an eco-boiler.

It is thought the heat from the ash had caused the smoke and set off the alarm.

The new eco-boiler burns wooden pellets rather than gas and is supposed to burn 90 per cent of the pellets.

Turton’s boiler had been emptied on Friday, but had filled up over the weekend, causing it to over-heat.

A spokesman from Blackburn with Darwen Council confirmed no damage had been caused to the historic building.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:35am Tue 27 Nov 12

Nibelung says...

Lucky escape there.
Lucky escape there. Nibelung

9:37pm Tue 27 Nov 12

Citizen Cane says...

...the downside of an eco boiler...and perhaps a little pointless given the global cooling on 2010 and 2011...curious
...the downside of an eco boiler...and perhaps a little pointless given the global cooling on 2010 and 2011...curious Citizen Cane

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree