Ex-thief is a ‘hero’ for rescuing pensioner

A DECORATOR who was hailed a hero by a judge for rescuing an elderly man from attackers, is a convicted thief.

Dubbed “The Watchman”, Leslie Fishwick posed as an antiques dealer to steal from old people in a crime spree lasting more than a decade.

Fishwick was called a hero by Judge Peter Davies for chasing off two men who had gagged, slapped and attempted to tie up 88-year-old war hero William Glover in his Radcliffe Road home in May.

Mr Fishwick, from Breightmet, chased the men and detained one until police arrived.

The two men were jailed by Bolton Crown Court for the attack.

Mr Fishwick’s heroics come seven years after he was jailed for five years by the same court following a 10-year crime spree.

The then 55-year-old admitted he had tricked his way into the homes of scores of pensioners in Oswaldtwistle, Accrington, Bacup and across the North West by posing as an antiques dealer before stealing watches, clocks and cash.

His victims were aged between 78 to 94.

Police found £96,000 in cash in his house and £56,000 in a bank account after he was arrested, and believe he was responsible for more than 100 burlgaries.

In December, 2005, he admitted nine counts of burglary and asked for a further 17 offences, which he carried out in Lancashire and West Yorkshire between 1995 and 2005, to be taken into consideration.

Now working as a painter and decorator, Mr Fishwick refused to comment on his past or the fact he had turned his life around.

He said it had been “just instinct” to help Mr Glover and said he was “no hero”.

Mr Glover, who served in the RAF for five years during the Second World War, said: “It was lucky Leslie came in.

“He pulled them off, I think he is a hero.”

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:36am Thu 27 Dec 12

oftbewildered2 says...

It does not matter what he was - it is what he is now that matters in this instance. It seems like he has turned his life round and that is a good thing. A bit of a sour grapes act to bring up his past at the same time as commending him for a good action. Yes, his past is important because hopefully he will have learned from it. I would hate to be a journalist.
It does not matter what he was - it is what he is now that matters in this instance. It seems like he has turned his life round and that is a good thing. A bit of a sour grapes act to bring up his past at the same time as commending him for a good action. Yes, his past is important because hopefully he will have learned from it. I would hate to be a journalist. oftbewildered2
  • Score: 0

10:27am Thu 27 Dec 12

bolton-born-n-bred says...

I agree with the above 'oftbewildered2' the mans actions have spoken far louder than any words printed about his past.
I agree with the above 'oftbewildered2' the mans actions have spoken far louder than any words printed about his past. bolton-born-n-bred
  • Score: 0

1:12pm Thu 27 Dec 12

berushka says...

Society is always harping on about mending your ways, do your time and start a new life, but very few manage to do this. Yet, here we have a man who no doubt was a villain, but he paid the price, did his time and appears to have started a new life. That in itself deserves recommendation, but for the BN to find smug satisfaction in bringing up his past is typical of the gutter press doing anything to make a story. Just pray to whatever god you believe in, mr reporter, that you have nothing in your past that your family or friends do not know about. It might just rear up and bite you back, if there are other reporters as petty and meagre -minded as you appear to be.
Society is always harping on about mending your ways, do your time and start a new life, but very few manage to do this. Yet, here we have a man who no doubt was a villain, but he paid the price, did his time and appears to have started a new life. That in itself deserves recommendation, but for the BN to find smug satisfaction in bringing up his past is typical of the gutter press doing anything to make a story. Just pray to whatever god you believe in, mr reporter, that you have nothing in your past that your family or friends do not know about. It might just rear up and bite you back, if there are other reporters as petty and meagre -minded as you appear to be. berushka
  • Score: 0

1:45pm Thu 27 Dec 12

Hough64 says...

berushka wrote:
Society is always harping on about mending your ways, do your time and start a new life, but very few manage to do this. Yet, here we have a man who no doubt was a villain, but he paid the price, did his time and appears to have started a new life. That in itself deserves recommendation, but for the BN to find smug satisfaction in bringing up his past is typical of the gutter press doing anything to make a story. Just pray to whatever god you believe in, mr reporter, that you have nothing in your past that your family or friends do not know about. It might just rear up and bite you back, if there are other reporters as petty and meagre -minded as you appear to be.
Petty and meagre minded? As I said on the Fabrice story...take a look in the mirror. I suppose you just stayed quiet for two days on here to make people think you have a life?? Didn't take long for you to crawl back out from under your stone though did it?
[quote][p][bold]berushka[/bold] wrote: Society is always harping on about mending your ways, do your time and start a new life, but very few manage to do this. Yet, here we have a man who no doubt was a villain, but he paid the price, did his time and appears to have started a new life. That in itself deserves recommendation, but for the BN to find smug satisfaction in bringing up his past is typical of the gutter press doing anything to make a story. Just pray to whatever god you believe in, mr reporter, that you have nothing in your past that your family or friends do not know about. It might just rear up and bite you back, if there are other reporters as petty and meagre -minded as you appear to be.[/p][/quote]Petty and meagre minded? As I said on the Fabrice story...take a look in the mirror. I suppose you just stayed quiet for two days on here to make people think you have a life?? Didn't take long for you to crawl back out from under your stone though did it? Hough64
  • Score: 0

3:46pm Thu 27 Dec 12

flyingdagger says...

The fact that he was a convicted thief is a story in itself but it could and should have been reported in a more positive way. I get the impression that the reporter is happy to have dug up some dirt on a man who has turned his life around and did something that a lot of people woulldn't have the courage to do.
The fact that he was a convicted thief is a story in itself but it could and should have been reported in a more positive way. I get the impression that the reporter is happy to have dug up some dirt on a man who has turned his life around and did something that a lot of people woulldn't have the courage to do. flyingdagger
  • Score: 0

6:00pm Thu 27 Dec 12

taverner says...

in this case it was not this mans honesty that was in question ....it was his timely prevention that possibly stopped these low life scum from hurting or killing the old guy ....can nobody run a story on why when these scum are out ? and i have no doubt that will be sooner rather than later they are not banned and returned to there native origin....we should not have too keep accepting the low life scum in our country.has for the painter has Norman Stanley Fletcher used to say well i am a reformed man now Mr McKay.
in this case it was not this mans honesty that was in question ....it was his timely prevention that possibly stopped these low life scum from hurting or killing the old guy ....can nobody run a story on why when these scum are out ? and i have no doubt that will be sooner rather than later they are not banned and returned to there native origin....we should not have too keep accepting the low life scum in our country.has for the painter has Norman Stanley Fletcher used to say well i am a reformed man now Mr McKay. taverner
  • Score: 0

10:12pm Thu 27 Dec 12

Citizen Cane says...

So it's ok to steal from aged victims up to 94 years of age is it? No criminal should be allowed to forget their crimes - that attitude is what is behind the rising crime wave since the sixties when the criminal justice system went soft on criminals.

Whilst Leslie Fishwick deserves praise for his actions on this occasion, it doesn't suddenly make him impervious to criticism. It seemingly took 100 crimes before he was put away. I doubt that the posters would have been so charitable if THEY had been victims of Fishwick's crimes. Mental cruelty can be far more heinous than physical cruelty.

Well done BN for showing the less shiny side of this story - let's have more of this : usually it is lacking.
So it's ok to steal from aged victims up to 94 years of age is it? No criminal should be allowed to forget their crimes - that attitude is what is behind the rising crime wave since the sixties when the criminal justice system went soft on criminals. Whilst Leslie Fishwick deserves praise for his actions on this occasion, it doesn't suddenly make him impervious to criticism. It seemingly took 100 crimes before he was put away. I doubt that the posters would have been so charitable if THEY had been victims of Fishwick's crimes. Mental cruelty can be far more heinous than physical cruelty. Well done BN for showing the less shiny side of this story - let's have more of this : usually it is lacking. Citizen Cane
  • Score: 0

9:06am Fri 28 Dec 12

Tim Burr says...

I need two rooms painting sometime in February, I be asking Les for a quote, he's probably more honest than many work shy painters who think 9-2 is a full day.
I need two rooms painting sometime in February, I be asking Les for a quote, he's probably more honest than many work shy painters who think 9-2 is a full day. Tim Burr
  • Score: 0

10:35am Fri 28 Dec 12

The Running Man says...

9 til 2 a full day? I ain't working overtime for anyone, 9 til 12 and not a moment longer. The cheek of it, 9 til 2 indeed!
9 til 2 a full day? I ain't working overtime for anyone, 9 til 12 and not a moment longer. The cheek of it, 9 til 2 indeed! The Running Man
  • Score: 0

11:43am Fri 28 Dec 12

berushka says...

Hough64 wrote:
berushka wrote:
Society is always harping on about mending your ways, do your time and start a new life, but very few manage to do this. Yet, here we have a man who no doubt was a villain, but he paid the price, did his time and appears to have started a new life. That in itself deserves recommendation, but for the BN to find smug satisfaction in bringing up his past is typical of the gutter press doing anything to make a story. Just pray to whatever god you believe in, mr reporter, that you have nothing in your past that your family or friends do not know about. It might just rear up and bite you back, if there are other reporters as petty and meagre -minded as you appear to be.
Petty and meagre minded? As I said on the Fabrice story...take a look in the mirror. I suppose you just stayed quiet for two days on here to make people think you have a life?? Didn't take long for you to crawl back out from under your stone though did it?
Oh not you again! What is your problem houghypuffy? You slag me off at every opportunity, as you have done on other posts, the one about the car crash as an example. I have not posted on here recently because I have been spending precious time with my family and friends, something it is apparent you do not do, hence the evil that spills out of your dirty mouth. I think you need to get special help, drink a bit less and read a good book. 'How to be a human being', is one I would recommend. In the meantime, just get lost and if you deride me again I will have no option than to tell the world just who you really are and what dirty secrets you hold behind your dirty council house door. You total filthy moron.
[quote][p][bold]Hough64[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]berushka[/bold] wrote: Society is always harping on about mending your ways, do your time and start a new life, but very few manage to do this. Yet, here we have a man who no doubt was a villain, but he paid the price, did his time and appears to have started a new life. That in itself deserves recommendation, but for the BN to find smug satisfaction in bringing up his past is typical of the gutter press doing anything to make a story. Just pray to whatever god you believe in, mr reporter, that you have nothing in your past that your family or friends do not know about. It might just rear up and bite you back, if there are other reporters as petty and meagre -minded as you appear to be.[/p][/quote]Petty and meagre minded? As I said on the Fabrice story...take a look in the mirror. I suppose you just stayed quiet for two days on here to make people think you have a life?? Didn't take long for you to crawl back out from under your stone though did it?[/p][/quote]Oh not you again! What is your problem houghypuffy? You slag me off at every opportunity, as you have done on other posts, the one about the car crash as an example. I have not posted on here recently because I have been spending precious time with my family and friends, something it is apparent you do not do, hence the evil that spills out of your dirty mouth. I think you need to get special help, drink a bit less and read a good book. 'How to be a human being', is one I would recommend. In the meantime, just get lost and if you deride me again I will have no option than to tell the world just who you really are and what dirty secrets you hold behind your dirty council house door. You total filthy moron. berushka
  • Score: 0

12:22pm Fri 28 Dec 12

Hough64 says...

berushka wrote:
Hough64 wrote:
berushka wrote:
Society is always harping on about mending your ways, do your time and start a new life, but very few manage to do this. Yet, here we have a man who no doubt was a villain, but he paid the price, did his time and appears to have started a new life. That in itself deserves recommendation, but for the BN to find smug satisfaction in bringing up his past is typical of the gutter press doing anything to make a story. Just pray to whatever god you believe in, mr reporter, that you have nothing in your past that your family or friends do not know about. It might just rear up and bite you back, if there are other reporters as petty and meagre -minded as you appear to be.
Petty and meagre minded? As I said on the Fabrice story...take a look in the mirror. I suppose you just stayed quiet for two days on here to make people think you have a life?? Didn't take long for you to crawl back out from under your stone though did it?
Oh not you again! What is your problem houghypuffy? You slag me off at every opportunity, as you have done on other posts, the one about the car crash as an example. I have not posted on here recently because I have been spending precious time with my family and friends, something it is apparent you do not do, hence the evil that spills out of your dirty mouth. I think you need to get special help, drink a bit less and read a good book. 'How to be a human being', is one I would recommend. In the meantime, just get lost and if you deride me again I will have no option than to tell the world just who you really are and what dirty secrets you hold behind your dirty council house door. You total filthy moron.
You are going to tell the world who I am and my dirty secrets? Oh deary deary me, please do, go ahead, you know as much about me as I know about you. You come on here slagging off Bolton people when you dont even live here anymore, yet when someone dares to answer back or mock you in return you spit your dummy out like the spoilt little brat you are. As for drinking, I do not drink actually, its not something that has ever appealed to me, I get my highs in a more natural way, like living life to the full with my family and friends. So there you go, a bit more derision for you. I await your "outing" of me!!
[quote][p][bold]berushka[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hough64[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]berushka[/bold] wrote: Society is always harping on about mending your ways, do your time and start a new life, but very few manage to do this. Yet, here we have a man who no doubt was a villain, but he paid the price, did his time and appears to have started a new life. That in itself deserves recommendation, but for the BN to find smug satisfaction in bringing up his past is typical of the gutter press doing anything to make a story. Just pray to whatever god you believe in, mr reporter, that you have nothing in your past that your family or friends do not know about. It might just rear up and bite you back, if there are other reporters as petty and meagre -minded as you appear to be.[/p][/quote]Petty and meagre minded? As I said on the Fabrice story...take a look in the mirror. I suppose you just stayed quiet for two days on here to make people think you have a life?? Didn't take long for you to crawl back out from under your stone though did it?[/p][/quote]Oh not you again! What is your problem houghypuffy? You slag me off at every opportunity, as you have done on other posts, the one about the car crash as an example. I have not posted on here recently because I have been spending precious time with my family and friends, something it is apparent you do not do, hence the evil that spills out of your dirty mouth. I think you need to get special help, drink a bit less and read a good book. 'How to be a human being', is one I would recommend. In the meantime, just get lost and if you deride me again I will have no option than to tell the world just who you really are and what dirty secrets you hold behind your dirty council house door. You total filthy moron.[/p][/quote]You are going to tell the world who I am and my dirty secrets? Oh deary deary me, please do, go ahead, you know as much about me as I know about you. You come on here slagging off Bolton people when you dont even live here anymore, yet when someone dares to answer back or mock you in return you spit your dummy out like the spoilt little brat you are. As for drinking, I do not drink actually, its not something that has ever appealed to me, I get my highs in a more natural way, like living life to the full with my family and friends. So there you go, a bit more derision for you. I await your "outing" of me!! Hough64
  • Score: 0

2:44pm Sat 29 Dec 12

boltonnut says...

This slagging match is more interesting than the original article.Hough 64 V berushka,it would be a better fight than khan V Mayweather.
This slagging match is more interesting than the original article.Hough 64 V berushka,it would be a better fight than khan V Mayweather. boltonnut
  • Score: 0

7:18pm Sun 30 Dec 12

ALI MINIUM KHAN says...

we is goin to take over bolton soon, u are all doomed
we is goin to take over bolton soon, u are all doomed ALI MINIUM KHAN
  • Score: 0

5:56pm Thu 3 Jan 13

berushka says...

boltonnut wrote:
This slagging match is more interesting than the original article.Hough 64 V berushka,it would be a better fight than khan V Mayweather.
No it wouldn't, because I would fight with intelligence and logical thinking, whereas huffypuffy would use empty beer bottles, football programmes, used condom wrappings and his handbag. No contest! He wouldn't have the guts to show up anyway. hahahahahaha
[quote][p][bold]boltonnut[/bold] wrote: This slagging match is more interesting than the original article.Hough 64 V berushka,it would be a better fight than khan V Mayweather.[/p][/quote]No it wouldn't, because I would fight with intelligence and logical thinking, whereas huffypuffy would use empty beer bottles, football programmes, used condom wrappings and his handbag. No contest! He wouldn't have the guts to show up anyway. hahahahahaha berushka
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree