Left in the cold after gas scare

A PENSIONER whose gas fire was disconnected following a carbon monoxide scare says she had to check into a hotel because she was so cold.

Gayle Sinclair claims social landlord Bolton at Home installed a new gas fire at her home in Athlone Avenue, Astley Bridge, on December 8, but that she and daughter, Stevie- Louise, aged 42, started to feel ill and drowsy.

The 73-year-old said when she told Bolton at Home about her symptoms on December 13 she was told to call the National Grid.

It sent engineers to shut the fire off and a safety warning was put on the fire saying “at risk, this appliance is unsafe and has been turned off for your safety”.

Ms Sinclair said Bolton at Home came out the next day to inspect the fire — but had not returned to install a new one.

She added: “We started feeling very sick and just wanting to go to sleep but we realised ‘no, we can’t ‘because we thought it was carbon monoxide. “They haven’t been back to replace the fire and it’s been really cold, we’ve been wearing fleeces.

“My son was so worried he booked us into a hotel.”

A National Grid spokeswoman said: “National Grid engineers were called out by the tenant who reported feeling drowsy when the gas fire was on.

“The gas engineer disconnected the fire as a safety precaution and advised the tenant to contact her landlord.

“Landlords have a responsibility to carry out safety checks on gas appliances once a year. Faulty appliances can give off carbon monoxide fumes.

“It is National Grid policy to disconnect appliances which are suspected to be faulty and recommend that people contact their landlord or a registered gas installer.”

Bolton at Home said it would be returning to test the fire.

A spokesman said: “We take health and safety very seriously.

“We’ll do more to address our customers’ concerns.

“We’ve already seen them about upgrading their storage heaters to central heating in the new year through our improvement programme.”

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:43am Thu 27 Dec 12

oftbewildered2 says...

from this report, not good enough Bolton at Home. Heating is essential and should have been dealt with quickly - although it is not clear whether there are storage heaters as well. Surely Bolton at Home would have provided an alternative means of heating while this was being sorted. Sounds like the fire was not correctly installed in the first place. I am sure this will be looked at. While most of us have smoke alarms, a carbon monoxide alarm is a good idea. They do not cost the earth and could save a life. I purchased mine following a similar scare.
from this report, not good enough Bolton at Home. Heating is essential and should have been dealt with quickly - although it is not clear whether there are storage heaters as well. Surely Bolton at Home would have provided an alternative means of heating while this was being sorted. Sounds like the fire was not correctly installed in the first place. I am sure this will be looked at. While most of us have smoke alarms, a carbon monoxide alarm is a good idea. They do not cost the earth and could save a life. I purchased mine following a similar scare. oftbewildered2
  • Score: 0

10:34am Thu 27 Dec 12

tony000 says...

the only heating they will supply are electric fan heaters if they have eny spare and they cost a small fortune to run .what a disgrace.
the only heating they will supply are electric fan heaters if they have eny spare and they cost a small fortune to run .what a disgrace. tony000
  • Score: 0

5:55pm Thu 27 Dec 12

watch it says...

why is this a disgrace
the lady had storage heaters which run off electricity used at the cheap rate during the night
maybe perhaps her son should have contributed something to her electricity bill rather than putting her up in a hotel and no doubt trying to claim the cost back from the landlord!
why is this a disgrace the lady had storage heaters which run off electricity used at the cheap rate during the night maybe perhaps her son should have contributed something to her electricity bill rather than putting her up in a hotel and no doubt trying to claim the cost back from the landlord! watch it
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Thu 27 Dec 12

pecky2k says...

watch it wrote:
why is this a disgrace
the lady had storage heaters which run off electricity used at the cheap rate during the night
maybe perhaps her son should have contributed something to her electricity bill rather than putting her up in a hotel and no doubt trying to claim the cost back from the landlord!
Its a disgrace that Bolton at Home have not sorted it out. Heating may not be a huge priority to some, it is to the elderly though. And are we not missing the point here, that the home has been left with faulty equipment.
Maybe nobody was available to repair or replace the appliance as they were too busy counting unoccupied bedrooms.
[quote][p][bold]watch it[/bold] wrote: why is this a disgrace the lady had storage heaters which run off electricity used at the cheap rate during the night maybe perhaps her son should have contributed something to her electricity bill rather than putting her up in a hotel and no doubt trying to claim the cost back from the landlord![/p][/quote]Its a disgrace that Bolton at Home have not sorted it out. Heating may not be a huge priority to some, it is to the elderly though. And are we not missing the point here, that the home has been left with faulty equipment. Maybe nobody was available to repair or replace the appliance as they were too busy counting unoccupied bedrooms. pecky2k
  • Score: 0

10:00pm Thu 27 Dec 12

Citizen Cane says...

Watch it makes an excellent point - the tenant had storage heaters throughout this debacle. The rest of it is about moaning by people who do not pay the bills but expect to be treated like royalty. Rights without responsibility appears to be the order of the day.

The victims of this piece are the taxpayers that bankroll both the grasping tenants and the seemingly inefficient Bolton at Home.
Watch it makes an excellent point - the tenant had storage heaters throughout this debacle. The rest of it is about moaning by people who do not pay the bills but expect to be treated like royalty. Rights without responsibility appears to be the order of the day. The victims of this piece are the taxpayers that bankroll both the grasping tenants and the seemingly inefficient Bolton at Home. Citizen Cane
  • Score: 0

8:30pm Sat 29 Dec 12

pecky2k says...

Seemingly inefficient, I think incompetent springs to mind.
Whether this person is on benefits or not has no bearing on the lack of customer service in this case. Bolton at Home has a poor track record for service, if they were up to the job this article wouldn't exist. And not all tenants are "grasping" they are just expecting certain standards of service, social housing is for people who are not high earners, they are for the likes of low income earners who work the jobs that many wouldn't like to do, examples being caring for the elderly, dinner ladies, cleaners, single parents on limited hours. So before you think that these social housing tenants are beneath you take a look around, you are in the midst of them!
Seemingly inefficient, I think incompetent springs to mind. Whether this person is on benefits or not has no bearing on the lack of customer service in this case. Bolton at Home has a poor track record for service, if they were up to the job this article wouldn't exist. And not all tenants are "grasping" they are just expecting certain standards of service, social housing is for people who are not high earners, they are for the likes of low income earners who work the jobs that many wouldn't like to do, examples being caring for the elderly, dinner ladies, cleaners, single parents on limited hours. So before you think that these social housing tenants are beneath you take a look around, you are in the midst of them! pecky2k
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree