Candles spark blaze at town centre hotel

FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning about the dangers of using candles in hotel rooms after a blaze at the Travelodge in River Street, Bolton.

The fire broke out at about 3pm on Friday after tealights dotted about the room, which had not been placed in proper candle holders, set fire to bedding.

The smoke alarm alerted residents to the blaze and all were safely evacuated from the hotel.

Watch commander Ian Ainsworth, from Bolton Central fire station, praised the hotel staff for getting everyone out quickly and safely.

He said: “The hotel acted brilliantly in ensuring everybody was out.

“The smoke alarm activated and the damage to the third floor room was minimal.”

But he added: “Using candles in hotel rooms is putting other people at risk.

“If you are using candles at home ensure they are placed in a proper receptacle.”

Firefighters were on the scene for around 30 minutes.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:24am Mon 18 Feb 13

steveG says...

Ian Ainsworth is right to issue this warning,it's surprising this kind of incident doesn't happen more frequently,I'm continuously warning my wife about lighting these silly candles for no apparent reason.
Call me sexist but I'm guessing the culprit was a woman.
Ian Ainsworth is right to issue this warning,it's surprising this kind of incident doesn't happen more frequently,I'm continuously warning my wife about lighting these silly candles for no apparent reason. Call me sexist but I'm guessing the culprit was a woman. steveG
  • Score: 1

2:08pm Mon 18 Feb 13

boltonnut says...

I always stay at the Holiday Inn, they have them thar new eeeeelectric lights thar.
I always stay at the Holiday Inn, they have them thar new eeeeelectric lights thar. boltonnut
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree