MPs united against plans to slash Bolton rail services
BOLTON’S MPs have slammed plans to reduce train services through Bolton.
Bolton North East MP David Crausby is outraged that what he considers to already be a “dreadful service” will be losing trains from Sunday.
Last month Mr Crausby voiced his concern at the level of overcrowding on Bolton rail services in a letter to the Secretary of State for Transport, Patrick McLoughlin, and called for Government intervention to ease overcrowding on services over the next three years before the line is electrified.
He said: “I wouldn’t mind the loss of a few trains if it was a reasonable service, but it is dreadful, you never get a seat and this has been going on for years — to take trains off an unacceptable service leaves me speechless.
First TransPennine Express have said it will aim to persuade commuters at Preston and Wigan to use a new, electrified service to Manchester that would free up space on the rush hour services through Bolton.
But Mr Crausby dismissed this approach as “window dressing”.
He added: “That is not going to be successful — I have no confidence in their expectations to persuade people to change their travel plans.”
He was joined in his criticism by Bolton West MP Julie Hilling, who feels the people of Bolton are being short changed.
She added: “This is a ridiculous time of year to implement these changes and I will be calling on First TransPennine Express to review their service.
“What we don’t want to see is more cars on the road and if they don’t sort this it will put us back years.”
Bolton South East MP, Yasmin Qureshi is a regular rail passenger and said she often finds herself squashed when travelling from Bolton.
She added: “I have raised this issue with the train companies and will continue to fight against these changes.
“I regularly see people who can’t get on the train as it is and it’s appalling.”
Comments are closed on this article.