Horwich firefighters warn residents about Christmas cooking fires

The Bolton News: Horwich firefighters with Cllr Kevin McKeon, second right Horwich firefighters with Cllr Kevin McKeon, second right

FIREFIGHTERS from Horwich fire station are working to keep people safe this winter.

In the run-up to Christmas the crews are raising awareness of the dangers of cooking-related fires in the home and they met with Horwich Town councillor Kevin McKeon as part of their campaign.

Firefighter Jason Smith said: “Food and drink are often central to celebrations over the Christmas period.

“We ask people to remember not to leave cooking unattended and, if you are the cook, wait until you have finished cooking before you have a drink.

“We are committed to reducing fire deaths by ensuring that every home in our station area has a working smoke alarm.

“To make certain this happens, we carry out free home safety checks, which may include the fitting of free smoke alarms.”

The fire service has also released a raft of safety advice for winter.

People are also being warned to be careful when using open fires to keep warm. They should make sure they always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers.

If residents are using portable heaters, they should be keep them away from curtains and furniture and never use them for drying clothes.

Always unplug electric heaters before going to bed.

People are also advised to keep a torch and batteries handy in the event of a power cut.

If anyone uses candles, special care should be taken and they should be put out before leaving the room or going to bed.

To arrange a free home safety check, call 0800 555 815 and for more information visit the website safe4winter.com.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree