Bolton man arrested after shotgun fired during suspected gang-related riot in Blackburn street

The Bolton News: Police at the scene of the incident in which a shotgun was fired after a suspected gang-related street riot Police at the scene of the incident in which a shotgun was fired after a suspected gang-related street riot

A BOLTON man has been arrested in connection with a suspected gang-related street riot in Blackburn that ended when someone fired a shotgun.

Three men were arrested after the riot in Kempton Rise, Blackburn, on Saturday night.

A 34-year-old man from Bolton and a 31-year-old man from Blackburn were arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and have been bailed.

A 30-year-old man from Blackburn has been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and is still in custody.

Onlookers called police when they heard gunfire after a fight involving up to 30 men erupted on Saturday night.

Armed police were called as the police helicopter flew overhead to try to catch the men.

A single barrel shotgun was found by police near the scene.

Two vehicles, which the police believe were used by the men, were also seized nearby.

A 20-year-old resident, who watched the incident from her bedroom window, said: “I saw a battered car with smashed in windows driving all over the place.

“Then I just saw a lot of men chasing after it with big sticks in their hands.

"I heard a screeching noise and a big bang.

“It was really scary to see and I was really frightened.

“I just kept wishing that they’d stop and not come near my house.”

Another resident, who did not wish to be named, said he saw "bullet holes" in a car and shots being fired in one man’s direction.

He said: “I could see that they’d shot at him but he got up and tried to run away.

“It was really scary.

“I’d heard loud bangs and I came outside to see what was going on.

“I saw a gang of what you can only describe as hooligans, with scarves pulled up over their noses to hide their faces.

“I saw them smashing a black car that had bullet holes in the windscreen.

“They had baseball bats in their hands and one of them had a gun.

“I have two children in my house and I was trying to keep them from seeing anything and telling them there was nothing to worry about - trying to play everything down.

“I just can’t understand why people behave like this and I’ve never seen anything like it before.

“They were all chanting and shouting and banging on doors and cars - it was like something that you’d see on a crime show on TV.”

Comments (41)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:29pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Robert2012 says...

Comments removed again!

its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs.

Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker! Robert2012

5:19pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Julian Thorpe says...

Robert2012 wrote:
Comments removed again!

its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs.

Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones.

Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
[quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please? Julian Thorpe

5:33pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Donkey Stone says...

Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote:
Comments removed again!

its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs.

Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones.

Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
[quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc. Donkey Stone

5:41pm Tue 17 Dec 13

thomas222 says...

Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .
[quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that . thomas222

5:49pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Julian Thorpe says...

thomas222 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .
As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.
[quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .[/p][/quote]As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want. Julian Thorpe

5:59pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Julian Thorpe says...

Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote:
Comments removed again!

its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs.

Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones.

Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
I think we've covered this ground before. If and when we can prove with legal certainty who those councillors are, then we can and will name them.

This accusation of being scared is bizarre - it was thanks to the hard work and investigation of our reporter that we found out that these councillors hadn't paid their council tax in the first place. You wouldn't know it had happened if it wasn't for us. Why would we do that if we were afraid of the consequences? It is our job to reveal things like this. We revel in it.

And, sadly, we do have to remove racial comments about white/Christian people. Although nowhere near as often as we have to remove comments about Asians/Muslims - for the simple reason there are a lot more racist comments pertaining to those groups.

It's a sad fact that our comment section seems to attract a number of people who are desperate to turn every story into a debate about race, religion and immigration, or, worse, just make racist comments. This is nothing to do with free speech - it's about providing an environment for our readers to discuss the news and current issues in Bolton without having to wade through hundreds of racist comments from a small group of agitators.
[quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]I think we've covered this ground before. If and when we can prove with legal certainty who those councillors are, then we can and will name them. This accusation of being scared is bizarre - it was thanks to the hard work and investigation of our reporter that we found out that these councillors hadn't paid their council tax in the first place. You wouldn't know it had happened if it wasn't for us. Why would we do that if we were afraid of the consequences? It is our job to reveal things like this. We revel in it. And, sadly, we do have to remove racial comments about white/Christian people. Although nowhere near as often as we have to remove comments about Asians/Muslims - for the simple reason there are a lot more racist comments pertaining to those groups. It's a sad fact that our comment section seems to attract a number of people who are desperate to turn every story into a debate about race, religion and immigration, or, worse, just make racist comments. This is nothing to do with free speech - it's about providing an environment for our readers to discuss the news and current issues in Bolton without having to wade through hundreds of racist comments from a small group of agitators. Julian Thorpe

6:07pm Tue 17 Dec 13

thomas222 says...

Julian Thorpe wrote:
thomas222 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .
As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.
Even shut down freedom of speech? be careful thats against the law.....
[quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .[/p][/quote]As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.[/p][/quote]Even shut down freedom of speech? be careful thats against the law..... thomas222

7:04pm Tue 17 Dec 13

George X says...

Julian Thorpe wrote:
thomas222 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .
As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.
Was it a joint decision to remove comments or is it just you alone calling the shots ? because if it is that's not right either !!!
[quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .[/p][/quote]As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.[/p][/quote]Was it a joint decision to remove comments or is it just you alone calling the shots ? because if it is that's not right either !!! George X

7:20pm Tue 17 Dec 13

questionairre says...

Julian
Is that really your name or is it Jeremy and you are of Liberal tendency.
Julian Is that really your name or is it Jeremy and you are of Liberal tendency. questionairre

7:59pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Comment777 says...

Julian Thorpe wrote:
thomas222 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .
As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.
But you do not do what YOU want to do, you base your decisions on what you think is expected of you within a set of rules laid down by others....
[quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .[/p][/quote]As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.[/p][/quote]But you do not do what YOU want to do, you base your decisions on what you think is expected of you within a set of rules laid down by others.... Comment777

8:07pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Comment777 says...

Julian Thorpe wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote:
Comments removed again!

its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs.

Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones.

Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
I think we've covered this ground before. If and when we can prove with legal certainty who those councillors are, then we can and will name them.

This accusation of being scared is bizarre - it was thanks to the hard work and investigation of our reporter that we found out that these councillors hadn't paid their council tax in the first place. You wouldn't know it had happened if it wasn't for us. Why would we do that if we were afraid of the consequences? It is our job to reveal things like this. We revel in it.

And, sadly, we do have to remove racial comments about white/Christian people. Although nowhere near as often as we have to remove comments about Asians/Muslims - for the simple reason there are a lot more racist comments pertaining to those groups.

It's a sad fact that our comment section seems to attract a number of people who are desperate to turn every story into a debate about race, religion and immigration, or, worse, just make racist comments. This is nothing to do with free speech - it's about providing an environment for our readers to discuss the news and current issues in Bolton without having to wade through hundreds of racist comments from a small group of agitators.
Julian I agree with a number of your replies to comments on this open forum.
However, if as you say you revel in discovering and exposing a news worthy story send one of your female reporters accompanied by you or another male and take a walk through Astley Bridge, Halliwell, Deane, Daubhill...

Report on what you experience and maybe you will realise why there is an undertone of what you call 'racism' in a large number of the comments...
[quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]I think we've covered this ground before. If and when we can prove with legal certainty who those councillors are, then we can and will name them. This accusation of being scared is bizarre - it was thanks to the hard work and investigation of our reporter that we found out that these councillors hadn't paid their council tax in the first place. You wouldn't know it had happened if it wasn't for us. Why would we do that if we were afraid of the consequences? It is our job to reveal things like this. We revel in it. And, sadly, we do have to remove racial comments about white/Christian people. Although nowhere near as often as we have to remove comments about Asians/Muslims - for the simple reason there are a lot more racist comments pertaining to those groups. It's a sad fact that our comment section seems to attract a number of people who are desperate to turn every story into a debate about race, religion and immigration, or, worse, just make racist comments. This is nothing to do with free speech - it's about providing an environment for our readers to discuss the news and current issues in Bolton without having to wade through hundreds of racist comments from a small group of agitators.[/p][/quote]Julian I agree with a number of your replies to comments on this open forum. However, if as you say you revel in discovering and exposing a news worthy story send one of your female reporters accompanied by you or another male and take a walk through Astley Bridge, Halliwell, Deane, Daubhill... Report on what you experience and maybe you will realise why there is an undertone of what you call 'racism' in a large number of the comments... Comment777

8:45pm Tue 17 Dec 13

longballs r us says...

Robert2012 wrote:
Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Any comments regarding the story on 14 arrested by the police or you will not because it's not Asian related?
[quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Any comments regarding the story on 14 arrested by the police or you will not because it's not Asian related? longballs r us

9:07pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Beyond News Forum says...

thomas222 wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
thomas222 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .
As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.
Even shut down freedom of speech? be careful thats against the law.....
Freedom of Speech Julian is Freedom of Speech, if a racist comment is made then that is not Freedom of Speech - The simple answer is that nowhere in any act does it state what exactly a 'Freedom of Speech' sentence can or cannot say, but equally it does not suggest in any form that hatred or racial epitomes are part and parcel of Freedom of Speech.

That being considered, the BN is very sketchy in what it does and does not allow in the comments, regardless of religion, colour or creed. In a 'multicultural society' we the people should be the judge and jury of what can and cannot be said within our communities. We should be responsible enough, adult enough and intelligent enough to be able decipher bigotry, hatred, racism and so forth and deal with those epitomes ourselves.

I would suggest that if the BN does not like to hold responsibility for comments then it states such at the top of the comments fields. WE THE PEOPLE CAN JUDGE WHO WE WISH TO SINGLE OUT AS SIMPLE MINDED IDIOTS, RACISTS, THUGS, RELIGIOUS HATERS AND COMPLETE PILLOCKS.

The pandering is tiresome and bothersome, yes some readers might not like what they read, but it is down to those people to be able to voice their concerns and work through differences. You cannot expect people to learn to behave within social circles and respect cultures via censorship. censorship is a form of chastising - it breeds animosity, hatred and resentment.

Do you read where I am going with this?
[quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .[/p][/quote]As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.[/p][/quote]Even shut down freedom of speech? be careful thats against the law.....[/p][/quote]Freedom of Speech Julian is Freedom of Speech, if a racist comment is made then that is not Freedom of Speech - The simple answer is that nowhere in any act does it state what exactly a 'Freedom of Speech' sentence can or cannot say, but equally it does not suggest in any form that hatred or racial epitomes are part and parcel of Freedom of Speech. That being considered, the BN is very sketchy in what it does and does not allow in the comments, regardless of religion, colour or creed. In a 'multicultural society' we the people should be the judge and jury of what can and cannot be said within our communities. We should be responsible enough, adult enough and intelligent enough to be able decipher bigotry, hatred, racism and so forth and deal with those epitomes ourselves. I would suggest that if the BN does not like to hold responsibility for comments then it states such at the top of the comments fields. WE THE PEOPLE CAN JUDGE WHO WE WISH TO SINGLE OUT AS SIMPLE MINDED IDIOTS, RACISTS, THUGS, RELIGIOUS HATERS AND COMPLETE PILLOCKS. The pandering is tiresome and bothersome, yes some readers might not like what they read, but it is down to those people to be able to voice their concerns and work through differences. You cannot expect people to learn to behave within social circles and respect cultures via censorship. censorship is a form of chastising - it breeds animosity, hatred and resentment. Do you read where I am going with this? Beyond News Forum

9:13pm Tue 17 Dec 13

thomas222 says...

Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Look at www.asianimage.co.uk that should give you a clue also Audley is aSIAN AREA.....
[quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Look at www.asianimage.co.uk that should give you a clue also Audley is aSIAN AREA..... thomas222

9:20pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Robert2012 says...

longballs r us wrote:
Robert2012 wrote:
Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Any comments regarding the story on 14 arrested by the police or you will not because it's not Asian related?
Makes no difference to me whether they are white,brown, black or green with yellow spots...

What I'm asking for is some equality in the reporting and sensor ship of this "newspaper"
[quote][p][bold]longballs r us[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Any comments regarding the story on 14 arrested by the police or you will not because it's not Asian related?[/p][/quote]Makes no difference to me whether they are white,brown, black or green with yellow spots... What I'm asking for is some equality in the reporting and sensor ship of this "newspaper" Robert2012

9:33pm Tue 17 Dec 13

thomas222 says...

Robert2012 wrote:
longballs r us wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Any comments regarding the story on 14 arrested by the police or you will not because it's not Asian related?
Makes no difference to me whether they are white,brown, black or green with yellow spots... What I'm asking for is some equality in the reporting and sensor ship of this "newspaper"
Well said this newspaper has decided on its own biased views and it has to stop or the paper will go more skint than it is now.... everyone i know is commenting how biased it is...
[quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]longballs r us[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Any comments regarding the story on 14 arrested by the police or you will not because it's not Asian related?[/p][/quote]Makes no difference to me whether they are white,brown, black or green with yellow spots... What I'm asking for is some equality in the reporting and sensor ship of this "newspaper"[/p][/quote]Well said this newspaper has decided on its own biased views and it has to stop or the paper will go more skint than it is now.... everyone i know is commenting how biased it is... thomas222

11:06pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Mick England says...

Don't forget that acts and statutes are only given the force of law through the consent of the governed, if as a human being rather your legal fiction (strawman) you don't consent, then under common law they mean nothing. We are still living in a common law jurisdiction, unless that is the Magna Carta 1215 was burned recently, and I don't recall that happening, do you? There is a big difference between what is unlawful and what is illegal, all illegal means is money in the bank for the greedy bankers, while the MP's and lawlords pass more statutes without your consent to pay the loan back! Unlawful is quite simple, don't cause injury, harm or loss to your fellow human being and you're ok, common law really does cover all crimes.
Don't forget that acts and statutes are only given the force of law through the consent of the governed, if as a human being rather your legal fiction (strawman) you don't consent, then under common law they mean nothing. We are still living in a common law jurisdiction, unless that is the Magna Carta 1215 was burned recently, and I don't recall that happening, do you? There is a big difference between what is unlawful and what is illegal, all illegal means is money in the bank for the greedy bankers, while the MP's and lawlords pass more statutes without your consent to pay the loan back! Unlawful is quite simple, don't cause injury, harm or loss to your fellow human being and you're ok, common law really does cover all crimes. Mick England

11:39pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Donkey Stone says...

Julian Thorpe wrote:
thomas222 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .
As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.
Well done Julian. That is without doubt the most arrogant response I have seen on here. I have offered the BN a few stories about the council lying and stealing and you have never returned my calls. All the stories are backed by written evidence. Please don't claim impartiality, it won't wash.
[quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .[/p][/quote]As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.[/p][/quote]Well done Julian. That is without doubt the most arrogant response I have seen on here. I have offered the BN a few stories about the council lying and stealing and you have never returned my calls. All the stories are backed by written evidence. Please don't claim impartiality, it won't wash. Donkey Stone

11:43pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Donkey Stone says...

Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
thomas222 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .
As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.
Well done Julian. That is without doubt the most arrogant response I have seen on here. I have offered the BN a few stories about the council lying and stealing and you have never returned my calls. All the stories are backed by written evidence. Please don't claim impartiality, it won't wash.
The BN sound more like Morris every day.
[quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .[/p][/quote]As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.[/p][/quote]Well done Julian. That is without doubt the most arrogant response I have seen on here. I have offered the BN a few stories about the council lying and stealing and you have never returned my calls. All the stories are backed by written evidence. Please don't claim impartiality, it won't wash.[/p][/quote]The BN sound more like Morris every day. Donkey Stone

11:43pm Tue 17 Dec 13

thomas222 says...

Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
thomas222 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .
As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.
Well done Julian. That is without doubt the most arrogant response I have seen on here. I have offered the BN a few stories about the council lying and stealing and you have never returned my calls. All the stories are backed by written evidence. Please don't claim impartiality, it won't wash.
Very astute ... BN are losing it for the wrong reasons...
[quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .[/p][/quote]As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.[/p][/quote]Well done Julian. That is without doubt the most arrogant response I have seen on here. I have offered the BN a few stories about the council lying and stealing and you have never returned my calls. All the stories are backed by written evidence. Please don't claim impartiality, it won't wash.[/p][/quote]Very astute ... BN are losing it for the wrong reasons... thomas222

1:58am Wed 18 Dec 13

Reality50 says...

Far from me to defend the local media but often in these cases for cultural sensitivity purposes,the police ask the media not to release religion or ethnicity of certain serious crime. Also often it could be a mixed gang rather than just Asian/Muslim. Of course we can come to assumption and most people who know Blackburn know Audley is an Asian dominated area. Also when you get Blackburn/Bolton cross over crime it often involves Asians as many have families in both towns. A recent case of that was the lesbian beaten up by members of an Asian family last month. Same with Bradford and Nelson/Burnley as they have large crossover crime too as Asian families and gangs mix in both areas. As an avid reader of the BN and Lancashire Telegraph and Bradford Teleraph&Argus i read these crossover crime stories regularly. Anyway let's see when all this comes to court. Yes 99pc certain they will be Pakistani Asian but as I said the media sometimes just follow police advice.
Far from me to defend the local media but often in these cases for cultural sensitivity purposes,the police ask the media not to release religion or ethnicity of certain serious crime. Also often it could be a mixed gang rather than just Asian/Muslim. Of course we can come to assumption and most people who know Blackburn know Audley is an Asian dominated area. Also when you get Blackburn/Bolton cross over crime it often involves Asians as many have families in both towns. A recent case of that was the lesbian beaten up by members of an Asian family last month. Same with Bradford and Nelson/Burnley as they have large crossover crime too as Asian families and gangs mix in both areas. As an avid reader of the BN and Lancashire Telegraph and Bradford Teleraph&Argus i read these crossover crime stories regularly. Anyway let's see when all this comes to court. Yes 99pc certain they will be Pakistani Asian but as I said the media sometimes just follow police advice. Reality50

10:49am Wed 18 Dec 13

Reed Lover says...

Anyone who thinks deleting arbitrary off-topic racist comments on a privately-owned comments page is denial of freedom of speech is intellectually dishonest in my opinion or deluded.
It's sickening to read the racist filth on these comments pages.
Anyone who thinks deleting arbitrary off-topic racist comments on a privately-owned comments page is denial of freedom of speech is intellectually dishonest in my opinion or deluded. It's sickening to read the racist filth on these comments pages. Reed Lover

11:07am Wed 18 Dec 13

Julian Thorpe says...

Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
thomas222 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .
As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.
Well done Julian. That is without doubt the most arrogant response I have seen on here. I have offered the BN a few stories about the council lying and stealing and you have never returned my calls. All the stories are backed by written evidence. Please don't claim impartiality, it won't wash.
Arrogant, maybe - but it is also simply a statement of fact. People seem to be under the mistaken impression that they have the right to say whatever they want on our comments section. They don't. There is no absolute freedom of speech in law- you can be punished for making death threats and for inciting people to violence or racial/religious hatred, for example, and there is certainly no freedom of speech on this website. Commenting here is a privilege, not a right, and we have guidelines on what is acceptable and what isn't. Racism is not acceptable.

As for stories about council misdeeds - we are always interested in such things. I can't comment on the stories you've offered because I don't know the specifics, but I'd be happy to speak to you about them. My contact details are on the "contact us" section of this site.
[quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .[/p][/quote]As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.[/p][/quote]Well done Julian. That is without doubt the most arrogant response I have seen on here. I have offered the BN a few stories about the council lying and stealing and you have never returned my calls. All the stories are backed by written evidence. Please don't claim impartiality, it won't wash.[/p][/quote]Arrogant, maybe - but it is also simply a statement of fact. People seem to be under the mistaken impression that they have the right to say whatever they want on our comments section. They don't. There is no absolute freedom of speech in law- you can be punished for making death threats and for inciting people to violence or racial/religious hatred, for example, and there is certainly no freedom of speech on this website. Commenting here is a privilege, not a right, and we have guidelines on what is acceptable and what isn't. Racism is not acceptable. As for stories about council misdeeds - we are always interested in such things. I can't comment on the stories you've offered because I don't know the specifics, but I'd be happy to speak to you about them. My contact details are on the "contact us" section of this site. Julian Thorpe

11:35am Wed 18 Dec 13

Julian Thorpe says...

Reality50 wrote:
Far from me to defend the local media but often in these cases for cultural sensitivity purposes,the police ask the media not to release religion or ethnicity of certain serious crime. Also often it could be a mixed gang rather than just Asian/Muslim. Of course we can come to assumption and most people who know Blackburn know Audley is an Asian dominated area. Also when you get Blackburn/Bolton cross over crime it often involves Asians as many have families in both towns. A recent case of that was the lesbian beaten up by members of an Asian family last month. Same with Bradford and Nelson/Burnley as they have large crossover crime too as Asian families and gangs mix in both areas. As an avid reader of the BN and Lancashire Telegraph and Bradford Teleraph&Argus i read these crossover crime stories regularly. Anyway let's see when all this comes to court. Yes 99pc certain they will be Pakistani Asian but as I said the media sometimes just follow police advice.
In my experience, you are correct in some respects. Police are sensitive about racial tensions - they don't want rioting in the streets. However, in 8 years of journalism (including a year-long stint as The Bolton News' crime reporter), I've never once seen police ask the media not to report someone's ethnicity.

Whether someone is named or not named in a newspaper report is a complex legal issue, but I can assure everyone that it never has anything to do with ethnicity. Usually police do not name people who are arrested, but will often supply names to media when they are charged. There are many exceptions to these practices.

As for the deletion of comments on this story - anyone who thinks it is because they pointed out that the people involved might be Asian is misunderstanding a fundamental concept.

Clearly there is a good chance that the gangs involved in this story are Asian, for many reasons that have been pointed out in earlier comments. It is not racist to point this out or to speculate on it. However, it is racist to suggest that somehow the ethnicity of the subjects of the story is relevant to the crime being committed. The tone of the comments that were deleted suggested "here is a crime - oh, it must be the Asians again - they're always at it, what a surprise". This is racism. If it was a story about a white man robbing a post office, people wouldn't comment "Oh what a surprise, it's a white robber again. They're always at it." Ethnicity is not relevant.

People come in all sorts of shapes, colours and sizes, they come from different places and they have different cultures and religions. To denigrate a whole group of people because of these factors is racism - and I'm addressing all commentators on our site here - please don't do it.
[quote][p][bold]Reality50[/bold] wrote: Far from me to defend the local media but often in these cases for cultural sensitivity purposes,the police ask the media not to release religion or ethnicity of certain serious crime. Also often it could be a mixed gang rather than just Asian/Muslim. Of course we can come to assumption and most people who know Blackburn know Audley is an Asian dominated area. Also when you get Blackburn/Bolton cross over crime it often involves Asians as many have families in both towns. A recent case of that was the lesbian beaten up by members of an Asian family last month. Same with Bradford and Nelson/Burnley as they have large crossover crime too as Asian families and gangs mix in both areas. As an avid reader of the BN and Lancashire Telegraph and Bradford Teleraph&Argus i read these crossover crime stories regularly. Anyway let's see when all this comes to court. Yes 99pc certain they will be Pakistani Asian but as I said the media sometimes just follow police advice.[/p][/quote]In my experience, you are correct in some respects. Police are sensitive about racial tensions - they don't want rioting in the streets. However, in 8 years of journalism (including a year-long stint as The Bolton News' crime reporter), I've never once seen police ask the media not to report someone's ethnicity. Whether someone is named or not named in a newspaper report is a complex legal issue, but I can assure everyone that it never has anything to do with ethnicity. Usually police do not name people who are arrested, but will often supply names to media when they are charged. There are many exceptions to these practices. As for the deletion of comments on this story - anyone who thinks it is because they pointed out that the people involved might be Asian is misunderstanding a fundamental concept. Clearly there is a good chance that the gangs involved in this story are Asian, for many reasons that have been pointed out in earlier comments. It is not racist to point this out or to speculate on it. However, it is racist to suggest that somehow the ethnicity of the subjects of the story is relevant to the crime being committed. The tone of the comments that were deleted suggested "here is a crime - oh, it must be the Asians again - they're always at it, what a surprise". This is racism. If it was a story about a white man robbing a post office, people wouldn't comment "Oh what a surprise, it's a white robber again. They're always at it." Ethnicity is not relevant. People come in all sorts of shapes, colours and sizes, they come from different places and they have different cultures and religions. To denigrate a whole group of people because of these factors is racism - and I'm addressing all commentators on our site here - please don't do it. Julian Thorpe

12:44pm Wed 18 Dec 13

cliff4treasurer says...

Seems to me there are a lot of commenters on here who need to open there eyes?
Seems to me there are a lot of commenters on here who need to open there eyes? cliff4treasurer

3:35pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Donkey Stone says...

Julian Thorpe wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
thomas222 wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .
As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.
Well done Julian. That is without doubt the most arrogant response I have seen on here. I have offered the BN a few stories about the council lying and stealing and you have never returned my calls. All the stories are backed by written evidence. Please don't claim impartiality, it won't wash.
Arrogant, maybe - but it is also simply a statement of fact. People seem to be under the mistaken impression that they have the right to say whatever they want on our comments section. They don't. There is no absolute freedom of speech in law- you can be punished for making death threats and for inciting people to violence or racial/religious hatred, for example, and there is certainly no freedom of speech on this website. Commenting here is a privilege, not a right, and we have guidelines on what is acceptable and what isn't. Racism is not acceptable.

As for stories about council misdeeds - we are always interested in such things. I can't comment on the stories you've offered because I don't know the specifics, but I'd be happy to speak to you about them. My contact details are on the "contact us" section of this site.
If you were so interested you would have taken the stories already.
[quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thomas222[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]The truth hurts and since when has saying the truth not been freedom of speech on a open forum. You have no right deciding what is a racial undertone or not. Everything said is one persons belief, who are the BN individuals that they are so above THE LAW to dictate that .[/p][/quote]As this is our website, we have every right to do whatever we want.[/p][/quote]Well done Julian. That is without doubt the most arrogant response I have seen on here. I have offered the BN a few stories about the council lying and stealing and you have never returned my calls. All the stories are backed by written evidence. Please don't claim impartiality, it won't wash.[/p][/quote]Arrogant, maybe - but it is also simply a statement of fact. People seem to be under the mistaken impression that they have the right to say whatever they want on our comments section. They don't. There is no absolute freedom of speech in law- you can be punished for making death threats and for inciting people to violence or racial/religious hatred, for example, and there is certainly no freedom of speech on this website. Commenting here is a privilege, not a right, and we have guidelines on what is acceptable and what isn't. Racism is not acceptable. As for stories about council misdeeds - we are always interested in such things. I can't comment on the stories you've offered because I don't know the specifics, but I'd be happy to speak to you about them. My contact details are on the "contact us" section of this site.[/p][/quote]If you were so interested you would have taken the stories already. Donkey Stone

4:57pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Lawlesschat says...

The misconceptions from people who comment on this site are hugely disproportionate to the what is evidently a harsh reality for them.

Criminal activity is reflective of the make up of the society /communities which inhabit a town/city. Bolton is of no exception.

Also true is that certain groups are more partial to commit certain crimes ...
Example.
Burglaries - white men
Robbery - Black men
Theft (shop lifting) - White male and female
Sexual assault and rape - white men
Paedophilia - White men
Drugs offences - mix of all races, however specific to Bolton and other Northwest towns, Asian men.
Fraud - All aspects of races
Gang violence - Black Men/women
Public order incidents - white men and women
Domestic Violence - White men
Anti social behaviour - by far the white populous.
Murder - by far, white populous.

In most cases white people are more likely to be alcoholic or hooked on hard drugs such as Heroin and Crack.

The emergency services, specifically the NHS and the Police are being drained by the lesser advantaged white populous, mainly owing to alcohol or drugs abuse.

It would very interesting, in fact extremely welcoming for the police to publish statistical data, detailing the ethnicities of those who commit crime.

Race / Hate crime is by far, much more in abundance by whites towards non white than the other way around.

These are the realities of our society.

It would be extremely naive to suggest anything to the contrary than what I have informed.
This is not me being unrealistic or biased, this is based on fact!

Julian, I congratulate you on your earlier comments.
The misconceptions from people who comment on this site are hugely disproportionate to the what is evidently a harsh reality for them. Criminal activity is reflective of the make up of the society /communities which inhabit a town/city. Bolton is of no exception. Also true is that certain groups are more partial to commit certain crimes ... Example. Burglaries - white men Robbery - Black men Theft (shop lifting) - White male and female Sexual assault and rape - white men Paedophilia - White men Drugs offences - mix of all races, however specific to Bolton and other Northwest towns, Asian men. Fraud - All aspects of races Gang violence - Black Men/women Public order incidents - white men and women Domestic Violence - White men Anti social behaviour - by far the white populous. Murder - by far, white populous. In most cases white people are more likely to be alcoholic or hooked on hard drugs such as Heroin and Crack. The emergency services, specifically the NHS and the Police are being drained by the lesser advantaged white populous, mainly owing to alcohol or drugs abuse. It would very interesting, in fact extremely welcoming for the police to publish statistical data, detailing the ethnicities of those who commit crime. Race / Hate crime is by far, much more in abundance by whites towards non white than the other way around. These are the realities of our society. It would be extremely naive to suggest anything to the contrary than what I have informed. This is not me being unrealistic or biased, this is based on fact! Julian, I congratulate you on your earlier comments. Lawlesschat

5:35pm Wed 18 Dec 13

davidjb says...

Lawlesschat wrote:
The misconceptions from people who comment on this site are hugely disproportionate to the what is evidently a harsh reality for them.

Criminal activity is reflective of the make up of the society /communities which inhabit a town/city. Bolton is of no exception.

Also true is that certain groups are more partial to commit certain crimes ...
Example.
Burglaries - white men
Robbery - Black men
Theft (shop lifting) - White male and female
Sexual assault and rape - white men
Paedophilia - White men
Drugs offences - mix of all races, however specific to Bolton and other Northwest towns, Asian men.
Fraud - All aspects of races
Gang violence - Black Men/women
Public order incidents - white men and women
Domestic Violence - White men
Anti social behaviour - by far the white populous.
Murder - by far, white populous.

In most cases white people are more likely to be alcoholic or hooked on hard drugs such as Heroin and Crack.

The emergency services, specifically the NHS and the Police are being drained by the lesser advantaged white populous, mainly owing to alcohol or drugs abuse.

It would very interesting, in fact extremely welcoming for the police to publish statistical data, detailing the ethnicities of those who commit crime.

Race / Hate crime is by far, much more in abundance by whites towards non white than the other way around.

These are the realities of our society.

It would be extremely naive to suggest anything to the contrary than what I have informed.
This is not me being unrealistic or biased, this is based on fact!

Julian, I congratulate you on your earlier comments.
and what group would these go to?
illegal importation of immigrants
visa fraud
genitalia mutilation
rape gangs
street racing
illegal marriage
counterfeit goods

and more whites are arrested or questioned over racial abuse but i've never heard a ethnic 'minority' charged or questioned over racial abuse, maybe being called white isn't offensive to whites.

i think julians responses are the most well spelt of all the other reporters to be fair. though if BN hired a street reporter then they'd have a lot more news to report on.
[quote][p][bold]Lawlesschat[/bold] wrote: The misconceptions from people who comment on this site are hugely disproportionate to the what is evidently a harsh reality for them. Criminal activity is reflective of the make up of the society /communities which inhabit a town/city. Bolton is of no exception. Also true is that certain groups are more partial to commit certain crimes ... Example. Burglaries - white men Robbery - Black men Theft (shop lifting) - White male and female Sexual assault and rape - white men Paedophilia - White men Drugs offences - mix of all races, however specific to Bolton and other Northwest towns, Asian men. Fraud - All aspects of races Gang violence - Black Men/women Public order incidents - white men and women Domestic Violence - White men Anti social behaviour - by far the white populous. Murder - by far, white populous. In most cases white people are more likely to be alcoholic or hooked on hard drugs such as Heroin and Crack. The emergency services, specifically the NHS and the Police are being drained by the lesser advantaged white populous, mainly owing to alcohol or drugs abuse. It would very interesting, in fact extremely welcoming for the police to publish statistical data, detailing the ethnicities of those who commit crime. Race / Hate crime is by far, much more in abundance by whites towards non white than the other way around. These are the realities of our society. It would be extremely naive to suggest anything to the contrary than what I have informed. This is not me being unrealistic or biased, this is based on fact! Julian, I congratulate you on your earlier comments.[/p][/quote]and what group would these go to? illegal importation of immigrants visa fraud genitalia mutilation rape gangs street racing illegal marriage counterfeit goods and more whites are arrested or questioned over racial abuse but i've never heard a ethnic 'minority' charged or questioned over racial abuse, maybe being called white isn't offensive to whites. i think julians responses are the most well spelt of all the other reporters to be fair. though if BN hired a street reporter then they'd have a lot more news to report on. davidjb

7:26pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Beyond News Forum says...

Reality50 wrote:
Far from me to defend the local media but often in these cases for cultural sensitivity purposes,the police ask the media not to release religion or ethnicity of certain serious crime. Also often it could be a mixed gang rather than just Asian/Muslim. Of course we can come to assumption and most people who know Blackburn know Audley is an Asian dominated area. Also when you get Blackburn/Bolton cross over crime it often involves Asians as many have families in both towns. A recent case of that was the lesbian beaten up by members of an Asian family last month. Same with Bradford and Nelson/Burnley as they have large crossover crime too as Asian families and gangs mix in both areas. As an avid reader of the BN and Lancashire Telegraph and Bradford Teleraph&Argus i read these crossover crime stories regularly. Anyway let's see when all this comes to court. Yes 99pc certain they will be Pakistani Asian but as I said the media sometimes just follow police advice.
The media is not owned by the police.

Pub;lic interest seems to be figured out already by those who think they can make up the minds of the public... it really is the modern journalistic ways.

Pander to government, councils and ethnicity
[quote][p][bold]Reality50[/bold] wrote: Far from me to defend the local media but often in these cases for cultural sensitivity purposes,the police ask the media not to release religion or ethnicity of certain serious crime. Also often it could be a mixed gang rather than just Asian/Muslim. Of course we can come to assumption and most people who know Blackburn know Audley is an Asian dominated area. Also when you get Blackburn/Bolton cross over crime it often involves Asians as many have families in both towns. A recent case of that was the lesbian beaten up by members of an Asian family last month. Same with Bradford and Nelson/Burnley as they have large crossover crime too as Asian families and gangs mix in both areas. As an avid reader of the BN and Lancashire Telegraph and Bradford Teleraph&Argus i read these crossover crime stories regularly. Anyway let's see when all this comes to court. Yes 99pc certain they will be Pakistani Asian but as I said the media sometimes just follow police advice.[/p][/quote]The media is not owned by the police. Pub;lic interest seems to be figured out already by those who think they can make up the minds of the public... it really is the modern journalistic ways. Pander to government, councils and ethnicity Beyond News Forum

7:28pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Beyond News Forum says...

Reality50 wrote:
Far from me to defend the local media but often in these cases for cultural sensitivity purposes,the police ask the media not to release religion or ethnicity of certain serious crime. Also often it could be a mixed gang rather than just Asian/Muslim. Of course we can come to assumption and most people who know Blackburn know Audley is an Asian dominated area. Also when you get Blackburn/Bolton cross over crime it often involves Asians as many have families in both towns. A recent case of that was the lesbian beaten up by members of an Asian family last month. Same with Bradford and Nelson/Burnley as they have large crossover crime too as Asian families and gangs mix in both areas. As an avid reader of the BN and Lancashire Telegraph and Bradford Teleraph&Argus i read these crossover crime stories regularly. Anyway let's see when all this comes to court. Yes 99pc certain they will be Pakistani Asian but as I said the media sometimes just follow police advice.
The media is not owned by the police.

Pub;lic interest seems to be figured out already by those who think they can make up the minds of the public... it really is the modern journalistic ways.

Pander to government, councils and ethnicity
[quote][p][bold]Reality50[/bold] wrote: Far from me to defend the local media but often in these cases for cultural sensitivity purposes,the police ask the media not to release religion or ethnicity of certain serious crime. Also often it could be a mixed gang rather than just Asian/Muslim. Of course we can come to assumption and most people who know Blackburn know Audley is an Asian dominated area. Also when you get Blackburn/Bolton cross over crime it often involves Asians as many have families in both towns. A recent case of that was the lesbian beaten up by members of an Asian family last month. Same with Bradford and Nelson/Burnley as they have large crossover crime too as Asian families and gangs mix in both areas. As an avid reader of the BN and Lancashire Telegraph and Bradford Teleraph&Argus i read these crossover crime stories regularly. Anyway let's see when all this comes to court. Yes 99pc certain they will be Pakistani Asian but as I said the media sometimes just follow police advice.[/p][/quote]The media is not owned by the police. Pub;lic interest seems to be figured out already by those who think they can make up the minds of the public... it really is the modern journalistic ways. Pander to government, councils and ethnicity Beyond News Forum

7:29pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Beyond News Forum says...

FFS: Give is EDIT!!!

Full Comment!

The media is not owned by the police.

Pub;lic interest seems to be figured out already by those who think they can make up the minds of the public... it really is the modern journalistic ways.

Pander to government, councils and ethnicity
FFS: Give is EDIT!!! Full Comment! The media is not owned by the police. Pub;lic interest seems to be figured out already by those who think they can make up the minds of the public... it really is the modern journalistic ways. Pander to government, councils and ethnicity Beyond News Forum

7:30pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Beyond News Forum says...

Why is my comment being chopped?
Why is my comment being chopped? Beyond News Forum

7:31pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Beyond News Forum says...

The media is not owned by the police.

Pub;lic interest seems to be figured out already by those who think they can make up the minds of the public... it really is the modern journalistic ways.

Pander to government, councils and ethnicity, far from that being racist. I for one can not possibly be racist for family reasons. However I do prefer the truth and not ethnic segregation whether that is a censored report or a racist fight outside a pub. The fact is the inequality breeds resentment... it always has and always will.

The law IS fictional, news is Fictional Fact, government is bleating fictional nonsense so that you believe the hype.
The media is not owned by the police. Pub;lic interest seems to be figured out already by those who think they can make up the minds of the public... it really is the modern journalistic ways. Pander to government, councils and ethnicity, far from that being racist. I for one can not possibly be racist for family reasons. However I do prefer the truth and not ethnic segregation whether that is a censored report or a racist fight outside a pub. The fact is the inequality breeds resentment... it always has and always will. The law IS fictional, news is Fictional Fact, government is bleating fictional nonsense so that you believe the hype. Beyond News Forum

10:17pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Mick England says...

But Julian, in most cases if the cap fits? Some crimes are more synonymous with different cultures, creeds and religions. So when we read a report about credit card fraud or child grooming, filthy take aways, cash for crash, pickpocketing etc, we can take an educated guess based on statistics and trends as to who the perpetrators are. The Irish never complained when the IRA were referred to as Catholics or Protestants, neither did the police or media get told to hide it from the public, in case people went on a rampage! The problem is that everybody is scared to death to even speak out because of threats of fines or violence. You may have the power to take our words, but you will never take our eyes, and we do see and know full well what's going on, and how crimes are being suppressed to protect the harmony and diversity that will never exist.
But Julian, in most cases if the cap fits? Some crimes are more synonymous with different cultures, creeds and religions. So when we read a report about credit card fraud or child grooming, filthy take aways, cash for crash, pickpocketing etc, we can take an educated guess based on statistics and trends as to who the perpetrators are. The Irish never complained when the IRA were referred to as Catholics or Protestants, neither did the police or media get told to hide it from the public, in case people went on a rampage! The problem is that everybody is scared to death to even speak out because of threats of fines or violence. You may have the power to take our words, but you will never take our eyes, and we do see and know full well what's going on, and how crimes are being suppressed to protect the harmony and diversity that will never exist. Mick England

10:42pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Reality50 says...

The original article on this in the LT was on Monday. Upon reading it,it seemed to me that the priority-rightly-was that of terrified and scared residents whose safety was paramount. Raising the potential of further gang or racial tensions in the area was something that was needed to be avoided as that area is about 70-30 Asian to white. The police as I said had priorities in addition to arresting the culprits. They will be Muslims as most gang trouble in Blackburn is by them but I agree that calming the situation with residents was the primary issue.On a separate issue that one commenter made about sex crimes largely being committed by white men,that isn't strictly true. Sinle paedophiles and rapists tend to be white however gang sex attacks tend to be by Asian and black men. That is statistically correct over the past 4 years in the UK.
The original article on this in the LT was on Monday. Upon reading it,it seemed to me that the priority-rightly-was that of terrified and scared residents whose safety was paramount. Raising the potential of further gang or racial tensions in the area was something that was needed to be avoided as that area is about 70-30 Asian to white. The police as I said had priorities in addition to arresting the culprits. They will be Muslims as most gang trouble in Blackburn is by them but I agree that calming the situation with residents was the primary issue.On a separate issue that one commenter made about sex crimes largely being committed by white men,that isn't strictly true. Sinle paedophiles and rapists tend to be white however gang sex attacks tend to be by Asian and black men. That is statistically correct over the past 4 years in the UK. Reality50

11:13pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Dr Martin says...

Julian , thanks for taking the time to explain your policy on commenting on this website, it's not something that happens very often on any paper
Julian , thanks for taking the time to explain your policy on commenting on this website, it's not something that happens very often on any paper Dr Martin

2:01pm Thu 19 Dec 13

WATOAOW says...

Comment777 wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Donkey Stone wrote:
Julian Thorpe wrote:
Robert2012 wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker!
Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?
Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.
I think we've covered this ground before. If and when we can prove with legal certainty who those councillors are, then we can and will name them. This accusation of being scared is bizarre - it was thanks to the hard work and investigation of our reporter that we found out that these councillors hadn't paid their council tax in the first place. You wouldn't know it had happened if it wasn't for us. Why would we do that if we were afraid of the consequences? It is our job to reveal things like this. We revel in it. And, sadly, we do have to remove racial comments about white/Christian people. Although nowhere near as often as we have to remove comments about Asians/Muslims - for the simple reason there are a lot more racist comments pertaining to those groups. It's a sad fact that our comment section seems to attract a number of people who are desperate to turn every story into a debate about race, religion and immigration, or, worse, just make racist comments. This is nothing to do with free speech - it's about providing an environment for our readers to discuss the news and current issues in Bolton without having to wade through hundreds of racist comments from a small group of agitators.
Julian I agree with a number of your replies to comments on this open forum. However, if as you say you revel in discovering and exposing a news worthy story send one of your female reporters accompanied by you or another male and take a walk through Astley Bridge, Halliwell, Deane, Daubhill... Report on what you experience and maybe you will realise why there is an undertone of what you call 'racism' in a large number of the comments...
I live in Astley Bridge with my other half AND I've got a news story.

The new take away curry place just up from the Lamb do a really nice mixed kebab on naan. Don't get me wrong, it's no Rice 'n' Three kebab sandwich, but it's worth trying.I recommend getting it with salad and sauce.

Mmmm kebab.

Think I might've missed the point of what you were trying to get at.
[quote][p][bold]Comment777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donkey Stone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert2012[/bold] wrote: Comments removed again! its been widely reported elsewhere that it was asian gangs. Bolton News in media sensor shocker![/p][/quote]Not censorship - just removal of comments that were, as far as we are aware, unfounded and with unnecessary racial overtones. Could you point me to this reporting elsewhere please?[/p][/quote]Could you point us to the councillors who didn't pay their council tax? Who made you the judge on what people can and cannot say? The BN seem to be afraid of everyone. I have never witnessed a racial comment being removed if it was about white/christian people. In another recent story you were happy to name Jason Bell etc.[/p][/quote]I think we've covered this ground before. If and when we can prove with legal certainty who those councillors are, then we can and will name them. This accusation of being scared is bizarre - it was thanks to the hard work and investigation of our reporter that we found out that these councillors hadn't paid their council tax in the first place. You wouldn't know it had happened if it wasn't for us. Why would we do that if we were afraid of the consequences? It is our job to reveal things like this. We revel in it. And, sadly, we do have to remove racial comments about white/Christian people. Although nowhere near as often as we have to remove comments about Asians/Muslims - for the simple reason there are a lot more racist comments pertaining to those groups. It's a sad fact that our comment section seems to attract a number of people who are desperate to turn every story into a debate about race, religion and immigration, or, worse, just make racist comments. This is nothing to do with free speech - it's about providing an environment for our readers to discuss the news and current issues in Bolton without having to wade through hundreds of racist comments from a small group of agitators.[/p][/quote]Julian I agree with a number of your replies to comments on this open forum. However, if as you say you revel in discovering and exposing a news worthy story send one of your female reporters accompanied by you or another male and take a walk through Astley Bridge, Halliwell, Deane, Daubhill... Report on what you experience and maybe you will realise why there is an undertone of what you call 'racism' in a large number of the comments...[/p][/quote]I live in Astley Bridge with my other half AND I've got a news story. The new take away curry place just up from the Lamb do a really nice mixed kebab on naan. Don't get me wrong, it's no Rice 'n' Three kebab sandwich, but it's worth trying.I recommend getting it with salad and sauce. Mmmm kebab. Think I might've missed the point of what you were trying to get at. WATOAOW

2:02pm Thu 19 Dec 13

WATOAOW says...

Julian Thorpe wrote:
Reality50 wrote: Far from me to defend the local media but often in these cases for cultural sensitivity purposes,the police ask the media not to release religion or ethnicity of certain serious crime. Also often it could be a mixed gang rather than just Asian/Muslim. Of course we can come to assumption and most people who know Blackburn know Audley is an Asian dominated area. Also when you get Blackburn/Bolton cross over crime it often involves Asians as many have families in both towns. A recent case of that was the lesbian beaten up by members of an Asian family last month. Same with Bradford and Nelson/Burnley as they have large crossover crime too as Asian families and gangs mix in both areas. As an avid reader of the BN and Lancashire Telegraph and Bradford Teleraph&Argus i read these crossover crime stories regularly. Anyway let's see when all this comes to court. Yes 99pc certain they will be Pakistani Asian but as I said the media sometimes just follow police advice.
In my experience, you are correct in some respects. Police are sensitive about racial tensions - they don't want rioting in the streets. However, in 8 years of journalism (including a year-long stint as The Bolton News' crime reporter), I've never once seen police ask the media not to report someone's ethnicity. Whether someone is named or not named in a newspaper report is a complex legal issue, but I can assure everyone that it never has anything to do with ethnicity. Usually police do not name people who are arrested, but will often supply names to media when they are charged. There are many exceptions to these practices. As for the deletion of comments on this story - anyone who thinks it is because they pointed out that the people involved might be Asian is misunderstanding a fundamental concept. Clearly there is a good chance that the gangs involved in this story are Asian, for many reasons that have been pointed out in earlier comments. It is not racist to point this out or to speculate on it. However, it is racist to suggest that somehow the ethnicity of the subjects of the story is relevant to the crime being committed. The tone of the comments that were deleted suggested "here is a crime - oh, it must be the Asians again - they're always at it, what a surprise". This is racism. If it was a story about a white man robbing a post office, people wouldn't comment "Oh what a surprise, it's a white robber again. They're always at it." Ethnicity is not relevant. People come in all sorts of shapes, colours and sizes, they come from different places and they have different cultures and religions. To denigrate a whole group of people because of these factors is racism - and I'm addressing all commentators on our site here - please don't do it.
Well said.
[quote][p][bold]Julian Thorpe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Reality50[/bold] wrote: Far from me to defend the local media but often in these cases for cultural sensitivity purposes,the police ask the media not to release religion or ethnicity of certain serious crime. Also often it could be a mixed gang rather than just Asian/Muslim. Of course we can come to assumption and most people who know Blackburn know Audley is an Asian dominated area. Also when you get Blackburn/Bolton cross over crime it often involves Asians as many have families in both towns. A recent case of that was the lesbian beaten up by members of an Asian family last month. Same with Bradford and Nelson/Burnley as they have large crossover crime too as Asian families and gangs mix in both areas. As an avid reader of the BN and Lancashire Telegraph and Bradford Teleraph&Argus i read these crossover crime stories regularly. Anyway let's see when all this comes to court. Yes 99pc certain they will be Pakistani Asian but as I said the media sometimes just follow police advice.[/p][/quote]In my experience, you are correct in some respects. Police are sensitive about racial tensions - they don't want rioting in the streets. However, in 8 years of journalism (including a year-long stint as The Bolton News' crime reporter), I've never once seen police ask the media not to report someone's ethnicity. Whether someone is named or not named in a newspaper report is a complex legal issue, but I can assure everyone that it never has anything to do with ethnicity. Usually police do not name people who are arrested, but will often supply names to media when they are charged. There are many exceptions to these practices. As for the deletion of comments on this story - anyone who thinks it is because they pointed out that the people involved might be Asian is misunderstanding a fundamental concept. Clearly there is a good chance that the gangs involved in this story are Asian, for many reasons that have been pointed out in earlier comments. It is not racist to point this out or to speculate on it. However, it is racist to suggest that somehow the ethnicity of the subjects of the story is relevant to the crime being committed. The tone of the comments that were deleted suggested "here is a crime - oh, it must be the Asians again - they're always at it, what a surprise". This is racism. If it was a story about a white man robbing a post office, people wouldn't comment "Oh what a surprise, it's a white robber again. They're always at it." Ethnicity is not relevant. People come in all sorts of shapes, colours and sizes, they come from different places and they have different cultures and religions. To denigrate a whole group of people because of these factors is racism - and I'm addressing all commentators on our site here - please don't do it.[/p][/quote]Well said. WATOAOW

12:21pm Mon 23 Dec 13

eatmytruth says...

I am a pakistani asian and I am an upright law abiding citizen. I live in Bolton. I work hard and pay taxes. I contribute more to the community than kost of you ever will. I dont commit crimes and I dont appreciate commentators associating crimes to my ethnic group on assumption. I dont feel comfortable reading the news comments because most of the time there are comments suggesting with the racial overtone.
If you guys think you can do a better job than the BN at reporting without 'bias', why dont you go start your own website and you can comment about asians and muslims till your heart is content.
The BN have a job to do. Its to report the facts as they confirm them. And they do a good job. Its also their responsibility to prevent racial abuse on their website. They do a good job of that too. And when the fact of the story is a predominantly asian group commited a crime. They dont hide it. They dont photoshop the colour on the pictures. They dont make anograms of the names. They report it. But to explicitly say the asians are doing it again. Thats not a fair comment. White people and black people do crimes too. I dont sit here commenting that its them again as usual. Because it isnt usual. Every man has a choice. The decision they make isnt based on their ethnicity. Its based on how big an a-hole they are
I am a pakistani asian and I am an upright law abiding citizen. I live in Bolton. I work hard and pay taxes. I contribute more to the community than kost of you ever will. I dont commit crimes and I dont appreciate commentators associating crimes to my ethnic group on assumption. I dont feel comfortable reading the news comments because most of the time there are comments suggesting with the racial overtone. If you guys think you can do a better job than the BN at reporting without 'bias', why dont you go start your own website and you can comment about asians and muslims till your heart is content. The BN have a job to do. Its to report the facts as they confirm them. And they do a good job. Its also their responsibility to prevent racial abuse on their website. They do a good job of that too. And when the fact of the story is a predominantly asian group commited a crime. They dont hide it. They dont photoshop the colour on the pictures. They dont make anograms of the names. They report it. But to explicitly say the asians are doing it again. Thats not a fair comment. White people and black people do crimes too. I dont sit here commenting that its them again as usual. Because it isnt usual. Every man has a choice. The decision they make isnt based on their ethnicity. Its based on how big an a-hole they are eatmytruth

12:24pm Mon 23 Dec 13

eatmytruth says...

Some of that comment is mistyped and doesnt make sense. Commenting on mobile is tricky. BN make a mobile site please!
Some of that comment is mistyped and doesnt make sense. Commenting on mobile is tricky. BN make a mobile site please! eatmytruth

12:29pm Mon 23 Dec 13

eatmytruth says...

And just to prove that BN report ethnicitt when required, for example when trying to find a suspect, they write something like this "The man was Asian, 5ft 5in tall, medium build, in his 30s and had a moustache." Taken from the sexual assault in great lever story.
They have right to stop comments as a preventative measure so idiots dont start something they dont take a hit for. Truth is youre all sat in your bedrooms making comments. But if something happened as a result, BN would be labelled as the instigator not you bedroom dwellers.
And just to prove that BN report ethnicitt when required, for example when trying to find a suspect, they write something like this "The man was Asian, 5ft 5in tall, medium build, in his 30s and had a moustache." Taken from the sexual assault in great lever story. They have right to stop comments as a preventative measure so idiots dont start something they dont take a hit for. Truth is youre all sat in your bedrooms making comments. But if something happened as a result, BN would be labelled as the instigator not you bedroom dwellers. eatmytruth

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree