Dog starts kitchen fire

The Bolton News: Dog causes fire by knocking hob switch Dog causes fire by knocking hob switch

A DOG caused a kitchen fire by accidentally switching on a hob.

Neighbours saw smoke and heard the fire alarm from the semi-detached home in Greenhill Avenue, New Bury at about 11am today.

Firefighters from Farnworth Fire Station were called and forced entry to the home. Nobody was in the home but a beagle dog was rescued but suffered from smoke inhalation.

Firefighters say the dog is believed to have knocked the switch for the hob, turning it on. Clothing near to the hob caught fire.

A woman, who lives in the home, was at work and was contacted. The kitchen was badly damaged.

Ian Gardner, watch manager at Farnworth Fire Station, said: “The lady had gone to work and the dog has jumped around in the kitchen and she has clothing and washing near the top of the cooker.

"The dog managed to turn the cooker right on and its set fire to the clothing. We managed to save the dog, a beagle.

"It was congested due to there being a lot of smoke The damage was quite bad, the kitchen was destroyed.

"There was a lot of smoke damage throughout the house. It is not the first time a dog has switched on a hob.”

People can get free fire home safety checks by calling 0800 555 815.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:43am Sun 22 Dec 13

wild one says...

unbelievable. a dog can cook its own food?
unbelievable. a dog can cook its own food? wild one

7:45am Sun 22 Dec 13

Boltonresident2012 says...

accidently turned it - not deliberate then ;)
accidently turned it - not deliberate then ;) Boltonresident2012

8:47am Sun 22 Dec 13

oftbewildered2 says...

I think all switches on cookers should be the 'push in and turn' type - this is a design fault; even a child could turn them on accidentally if a dog can. A gas cooker cannot be turned on accidentally as you have to hold the switch depressed until it ignites.
I think all switches on cookers should be the 'push in and turn' type - this is a design fault; even a child could turn them on accidentally if a dog can. A gas cooker cannot be turned on accidentally as you have to hold the switch depressed until it ignites. oftbewildered2

9:53am Sun 22 Dec 13

Citizen Cane says...

...so the householder has no responsibility for leaving combustible material near a source of ignition and a dog alone, unsupervised in that situation? Yet a cooker manufacturer is supposed to imagine that someone will do this. Incredible and yet another symptom of the blame without personal responsibility culture.
...so the householder has no responsibility for leaving combustible material near a source of ignition and a dog alone, unsupervised in that situation? Yet a cooker manufacturer is supposed to imagine that someone will do this. Incredible and yet another symptom of the blame without personal responsibility culture. Citizen Cane

12:31pm Sun 22 Dec 13

macauley says...

made me laugh this one.most of humans don't know how to cook in farnworth.
made me laugh this one.most of humans don't know how to cook in farnworth. macauley

10:20pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Rupert T Bear says...

...this very same dog also ate my homework!
...this very same dog also ate my homework! Rupert T Bear

8:19am Mon 23 Dec 13

macauley says...

send the dog to me to cook Christmas dinner please.
send the dog to me to cook Christmas dinner please. macauley

1:17pm Mon 23 Dec 13

boltonnut says...

The beagle wanted a toasted bagel.
The beagle wanted a toasted bagel. boltonnut

4:19pm Mon 23 Dec 13

Hough64 says...

macauley wrote:
send the dog to me to cook Christmas dinner please.
The dog is cooking your Christmas...your mother!!
[quote][p][bold]macauley[/bold] wrote: send the dog to me to cook Christmas dinner please.[/p][/quote]The dog is cooking your Christmas...your mother!! Hough64

7:11pm Mon 23 Dec 13

Igor biscan63 says...

Was the dog responsible for the lizard fire death ??
Was the dog responsible for the lizard fire death ?? Igor biscan63

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree