AN elderly woman has been killed in a crash on the M55.
Jean Watson, aged 82, from Horwich, died at Royal Preston Hospital after the car she was driving was involved in a three-vehicle smash.
The Hyundai Getz being driven by Ms Watson crashed with a Ford Focus and a Vauxhall Zafira near junction three of the eastbound carriageway of the motorway at about 7.20pm last night.
It is not known what caused the accident and police are appealing for witnesses to contact them.
A passenger in the Hyundai car, also a woman in her 80s, suffered a broken arm and other injuries, while the man driving the Ford Focus suffered whiplash and shock.
The road was closed for more than seven hours.
Sgt Mick Young, from Lancashire Police’s road policing unit, said: “An investigation is underway into the circumstances of the collision and I would appeal to any witnesses to the collision to contact Lancashire Police.”
Any witnesses can call Lancashire Police on 101.
- Terrorist teacher Jamshed Javeed jailed
- UKIP candidate claims she was de-selected after saying 'racist' party document is 'worthy of the BNP'
- Hollands garden centre goes into receivership ahead of expected sports village plans
- University vice chancellor spent more than £17,000 on hotels and flights
- Motorists to face more travel chaos when A666 closes for two weekends