Bolton's most senior police officer to be axed in cost-cutting move
THE post held by Bolton’s top cop Ch Supt David Hull is to be axed as part of controversial cash saving measures.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) will cut almost half of the chief superintendents in charge of the force’s 10 divisions.
The cost saving plans will see Ch Supt David Hull, who has been the town’s most senior officer for nearly three years, step aside to allow Bolton to merge with Wigan.
Wigan is headed up by Ch Supt Shaun Donnellan, who will take over the reins for Bolton and Wigan.
The latest changes will save GMP up to £250,000 a year.
GMP’s Ch Con Peter Fahy said: “I am confident the changes will not impact on the way we work together with the council on reducing crime and anti-social behaviour.”
Supt Andrea Jones, from Wigan police, will replace Bolton’s superintendents, Steve Nibloe and Mark Bell. She has previously worked in Bolton.
Supt Bell, who is charge of Bolton police's relationship with the council and other agencies, will stay in Bolton but will take on the role of a chief inspector in operations.
He moved to Bolton from a chief inspector post in Rochdale last summer.
And Supt Steve Nibloe, who currently heads up the town’s operations, will move to north Manchester.
- Man tells girlfriend he has been kidnapped so he can stay out and drink
- Celebrity chef Gino D’Acampo kicks off Saturday's food festival
- Straight A GCSE student congratulation by a national sports champion
- Fundraiser in memory of murdered teen Sasha Marsden
- Astley Bridge residents cannot park outside their own homes because shoppers are using their street instead of The Range car park
Ch Insp Carol Martin will stay in her partnership role.
Ch Con Peter Fahy said: “Recently, the Home Office said that budget cuts will continue until 2018 and that will affect all public services.
“I genuinely believe that, in the last few years, we have made some significant gains in the way Greater Manchester is policed.
“We do not want to go back to being a force that just responds to emergency situations and I believe that that will not be the case.”
He added: “When I took over the role in 2008, we had more than 8,000 officers and it is looking like, by 2018, we could be left with closer to 6,000.
“I am sure members of the public would much prefer we make cuts at the top rather than front-line services.”
Sean Harriss, chief executive of Bolton Council said: “I will be sad to see David Hull and Steve Nibloe move away from the town, and I’d like to thank them for all they have contributed to Bolton over the last few years.
"However, I am looking forward to working with the new senior team in the future.”
Salford’s Ch Supt Mary Doyle will stay at Salford and also take charge at Trafford, while Trafford’s Ch Supt Mark Roberts will be moved.
In Rochdale and Bury, Rochdale’s existing Ch Supt, Annette Anderson will stay at Rochdale and will also take charge at Bury. Bury Ch Supt Tim Forber will be moved.
Tameside Ch Supt Caroline Ball will stay at Tameside and will also take charge at Oldham.
Oldham Ch Supt Catherine Hankinson will move to South Manchester, replacing Ch Supt Robert Pots.
Stockport will keep Ch Supt Chris Sykes and Mancester North will keep Ch Supt Nick Adderley.
The changes will take place at the start of March.
Comments are closed on this article.