Breightmet man had sexual relationship with 15-year-old girl
Updated 11:21am Saturday 15th February 2014 in News
A MAN who had a relationship with a 15-year-old girl has been spared jail.
Steven McConnell, aged 23, of Wasdale Avenue, Breightmet, was 21 when he began a sexual relationship with the girl in August, 2012.
The court heard that he told the girl he loved her and “was going to get her out of Bolton”.
The victim told officers she had initially felt sorry for McConnell because he suffers badly from Crohn’s disease.
Robert Galinski, prosecuting, said the pair had sex “about three or four times”, but she stopped because she no longer felt comfortable.
The girl’s parents became suspicious and police were informed, the court heard.
McConnell was arrested on October 10.
He denied there had been any sexual relationship and was warned by the police to stay away from the 15-year-old.
But he was arrested again on October 25 after the victim was seen visiting his flat.
Police found a used condom containing the DNA of both McConnell and the victim.
McConnell was given a jail sentence of 12 months, suspended for two years.
- UPDATED: Teenager raped in alleyway behind pub in Bolton town centre
- UPDATED: Young woman found dead in Rivington reservoir named
- UPDATED: Pane of glass falls 10 feet onto shopper in main entrance of Harwood Morrisons
- Man injured in holiday horror accident on huge water slide
- Call for Horwich to leave Bolton... and become part of Chorley