Breightmet man had sexual relationship with 15-year-old girl
Updated 11:21am Saturday 15th February 2014 in News
A MAN who had a relationship with a 15-year-old girl has been spared jail.
Steven McConnell, aged 23, of Wasdale Avenue, Breightmet, was 21 when he began a sexual relationship with the girl in August, 2012.
The court heard that he told the girl he loved her and “was going to get her out of Bolton”.
The victim told officers she had initially felt sorry for McConnell because he suffers badly from Crohn’s disease.
Robert Galinski, prosecuting, said the pair had sex “about three or four times”, but she stopped because she no longer felt comfortable.
The girl’s parents became suspicious and police were informed, the court heard.
McConnell was arrested on October 10.
He denied there had been any sexual relationship and was warned by the police to stay away from the 15-year-old.
But he was arrested again on October 25 after the victim was seen visiting his flat.
Police found a used condom containing the DNA of both McConnell and the victim.
McConnell was given a jail sentence of 12 months, suspended for two years.
- Man charged with murder after woman's body found in garden
- Warning as Bolton population predicted to hit 300,000 in 20 years
- Bolton 20mph speed limit plan delayed by cash shortage
- Mystery as dog walker attacks woman in Little Hulton
- Teaching assistant named one of best school gardeners in country