'Only a matter of time' before fracking comes to Bolton, says expert

The Bolton News: 'Only a matter of time' before fracking comes to Bolton, says expert 'Only a matter of time' before fracking comes to Bolton, says expert

A BOLTON geophysicist has warned it is “only a matter of time” before fracking licences are submitted to Bolton council — and is urging the town’s leaders to get up to speed on the controversial issue now.

Ainslie Casson, a Westhoughton scientist now working for the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, has written to all 60 Bolton councillors claiming there are risks of small earthquakes and the use of cancer-causing chemicals in the process.

With almost 30 years’ experience working in the oil and gas industry, Mr Casson said Bolton — with its rich history of mining — is a likely target for energy companies looking to cash in on untapped gas supplies.

Hydraulic fracking is the controversial technique of drilling into the earth and directing a high-pressure water mixture into the rock to release the gas inside.

But the process can cause small earth tremors and Mr Casson said ground water could be contaminated by the chemicals used to release the gas.

In his letters to councillors, Mr Casson highlights the “possible and likely” contamination of water by chemicals such as benzene, xylene and toluene.

In recent months environmental activists, including members of Bolton Green Party, have swarmed Barton Moss in Salford to protest against the exploratory drilling being carried out by iGas.

The Bolton News reported how the government has said local authorities would be allowed to keep 100 per cent of the business rates if they allow companies to frack in their area.


MORE:


Mr Casson, previously of Church Walks, said he is concerned that council chiefs do not fully understand the implications and dangers of the process — or know about the alternative methods available to companies.

He said: “Pretty much the whole of the Lancashire basin has coal deposits with associated shale.

“The areas of interest would be those where that strata comes closer to the surface, so reducing drilling costs.

“If there is an area of interest then drilling can be selected away from urban areas and drilling can be done with horizontal drilling techniques.

“Directional drilling is a common technique, but it adds costs, as does seismic surveying. Therein lies the problem.

“But Bolton Council do not have the knowledge base to put these conditions in place, and they are not likely to listen to the likes of me ‘officially’.”

Bolton Council has previously said it would judge each fracking application on its individual merits. 

He added: “What happened in the US is a different situation than that which would occur in the UK.

“The geology is different, ownership is different and the environmental legislation in place (including EU directives) would stop the excesses seen in the US.

“George W. Bush specifically excluded gas drilling companies from Environment Protection Agency legislation in the US — that is why the US had so many issues with fracking.”

He added: “I would urge very strongly that the Bolton Council environmental department get up to speed on fracking quickly because there is a lot of misinformation out there driven by fear and lack of knowledge.”

Comments (53)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:52am Tue 18 Feb 14

danssoncabaret says...

You are scaremongering Sir and inciting protest and violence. I have seen ''fracking'' in Europe and people there have the benefit of cheaper fuel, jobs and a future fuel security.
Had you and your ilk been around during the industrial revolution we should all be still be living in with poor sanitation, no heating or lighting. Living In disease and squalor, with no modern medicine, health infrastructure and no modern transport system. I am surprised at The Bolton News for publishing such a contentious article. Without the benefit of a counter opinion, this article will certainly incite a negative reaction among the petrol pump stickers the ''fracking campers'' and naysayers.
You are scaremongering Sir and inciting protest and violence. I have seen ''fracking'' in Europe and people there have the benefit of cheaper fuel, jobs and a future fuel security. Had you and your ilk been around during the industrial revolution we should all be still be living in with poor sanitation, no heating or lighting. Living In disease and squalor, with no modern medicine, health infrastructure and no modern transport system. I am surprised at The Bolton News for publishing such a contentious article. Without the benefit of a counter opinion, this article will certainly incite a negative reaction among the petrol pump stickers the ''fracking campers'' and naysayers. danssoncabaret
  • Score: -16

9:06am Tue 18 Feb 14

Jim271 says...

LOL Ask the question.

Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE????
LOL Ask the question. Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE???? Jim271
  • Score: 27

9:10am Tue 18 Feb 14

lassogaia says...

danssoncabaret wrote:
You are scaremongering Sir and inciting protest and violence. I have seen ''fracking'' in Europe and people there have the benefit of cheaper fuel, jobs and a future fuel security.
Had you and your ilk been around during the industrial revolution we should all be still be living in with poor sanitation, no heating or lighting. Living In disease and squalor, with no modern medicine, health infrastructure and no modern transport system. I am surprised at The Bolton News for publishing such a contentious article. Without the benefit of a counter opinion, this article will certainly incite a negative reaction among the petrol pump stickers the ''fracking campers'' and naysayers.
Let's just get this straight. Fossil fuels are harmful to the environment. So why aren't we looking for renewables? Because they don't make money for the big companies. Make no mistake - your energy prices will still be controlled by the big energy companies. I think you are somewhat scaremongering yourself here and pandering to the right wingers and climate change deniers. This is real and this is happening.
Fossil fuels are NOT a way forward. Had my ilk been around during the industrial revolution I would have looked to harness the power of wind, water and sun to generate heating and lighting. The fact is this - we are destroying the planet and the environment.
Let's go FORWARDS and not BACKWARDS.
[quote][p][bold]danssoncabaret[/bold] wrote: You are scaremongering Sir and inciting protest and violence. I have seen ''fracking'' in Europe and people there have the benefit of cheaper fuel, jobs and a future fuel security. Had you and your ilk been around during the industrial revolution we should all be still be living in with poor sanitation, no heating or lighting. Living In disease and squalor, with no modern medicine, health infrastructure and no modern transport system. I am surprised at The Bolton News for publishing such a contentious article. Without the benefit of a counter opinion, this article will certainly incite a negative reaction among the petrol pump stickers the ''fracking campers'' and naysayers.[/p][/quote]Let's just get this straight. Fossil fuels are harmful to the environment. So why aren't we looking for renewables? Because they don't make money for the big companies. Make no mistake - your energy prices will still be controlled by the big energy companies. I think you are somewhat scaremongering yourself here and pandering to the right wingers and climate change deniers. This is real and this is happening. Fossil fuels are NOT a way forward. Had my ilk been around during the industrial revolution I would have looked to harness the power of wind, water and sun to generate heating and lighting. The fact is this - we are destroying the planet and the environment. Let's go FORWARDS and not BACKWARDS. lassogaia
  • Score: 24

10:50am Tue 18 Feb 14

comment230 says...

"Ainslie Casson, a Westhoughton scientist now working for the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company",

Says it all.
"Ainslie Casson, a Westhoughton scientist now working for the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company", Says it all. comment230
  • Score: 12

12:03pm Tue 18 Feb 14

underwater says...

Would be the first time Bolton Council got up to speed on anything .
Would be the first time Bolton Council got up to speed on anything . underwater
  • Score: 17

12:50pm Tue 18 Feb 14

The Righteous One says...

Jim271 wrote:
LOL Ask the question.

Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE????
Because the Government have sahres in the energy companies that tend to deal with Nuclear power! Have a look for yourself!


With regards to fracking - the prcoess has been happening in mainland Europe for well over 40 years, and Canada has had no problem with fracking whatsoever - the only scare stories have come from mid-south USA and nowhere else - why is that?
[quote][p][bold]Jim271[/bold] wrote: LOL Ask the question. Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE????[/p][/quote]Because the Government have sahres in the energy companies that tend to deal with Nuclear power! Have a look for yourself! With regards to fracking - the prcoess has been happening in mainland Europe for well over 40 years, and Canada has had no problem with fracking whatsoever - the only scare stories have come from mid-south USA and nowhere else - why is that? The Righteous One
  • Score: -34

1:40pm Tue 18 Feb 14

lassogaia says...

The Righteous One wrote:
Jim271 wrote:
LOL Ask the question.

Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE????
Because the Government have sahres in the energy companies that tend to deal with Nuclear power! Have a look for yourself!


With regards to fracking - the prcoess has been happening in mainland Europe for well over 40 years, and Canada has had no problem with fracking whatsoever - the only scare stories have come from mid-south USA and nowhere else - why is that?
There are different types of fracking. The type making the news here involves horizontal drilling and a lethal cocktail of chemicals. This is the type that is also used in America. So that's why the stories have come from there.

Hope that helps.

PS there have been some stories from Europe if you look for them.
[quote][p][bold]The Righteous One[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jim271[/bold] wrote: LOL Ask the question. Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE????[/p][/quote]Because the Government have sahres in the energy companies that tend to deal with Nuclear power! Have a look for yourself! With regards to fracking - the prcoess has been happening in mainland Europe for well over 40 years, and Canada has had no problem with fracking whatsoever - the only scare stories have come from mid-south USA and nowhere else - why is that?[/p][/quote]There are different types of fracking. The type making the news here involves horizontal drilling and a lethal cocktail of chemicals. This is the type that is also used in America. So that's why the stories have come from there. Hope that helps. PS there have been some stories from Europe if you look for them. lassogaia
  • Score: 10

1:48pm Tue 18 Feb 14

Hollieanne says...

Bolton Council's (ie Morris' decision) on fracking will be in direct proportion to the amount of money (ie backhanders) he is likely to make out of it.
Bolton Council's (ie Morris' decision) on fracking will be in direct proportion to the amount of money (ie backhanders) he is likely to make out of it. Hollieanne
  • Score: 18

3:42pm Tue 18 Feb 14

JShepard says...

The Righteous One wrote:
Jim271 wrote:
LOL Ask the question.

Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE????
Because the Government have sahres in the energy companies that tend to deal with Nuclear power! Have a look for yourself!


With regards to fracking - the prcoess has been happening in mainland Europe for well over 40 years, and Canada has had no problem with fracking whatsoever - the only scare stories have come from mid-south USA and nowhere else - why is that?
What started as a peaceful protest by the Mi’kmaq First Nation in Elsipogtog, New Brunswick against a shale gas project has now spun violently out of control. After the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) advanced on the anti-fracking protest, demonstrators clashed with police, chemical agents were deployed and at least half a dozen police vehicles were destroyed by Molotov cocktails.

At least 40 arrests have been confirmed by authorities, who also report that a gunshot was fired. According to the New Brunswick police, their officers have not discharged their firearms. The First Nation protesters have accused the RCMP of causing the clash by raiding their anti-fracking protest with arms drawn.
[quote][p][bold]The Righteous One[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jim271[/bold] wrote: LOL Ask the question. Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE????[/p][/quote]Because the Government have sahres in the energy companies that tend to deal with Nuclear power! Have a look for yourself! With regards to fracking - the prcoess has been happening in mainland Europe for well over 40 years, and Canada has had no problem with fracking whatsoever - the only scare stories have come from mid-south USA and nowhere else - why is that?[/p][/quote]What started as a peaceful protest by the Mi’kmaq First Nation in Elsipogtog, New Brunswick against a shale gas project has now spun violently out of control. After the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) advanced on the anti-fracking protest, demonstrators clashed with police, chemical agents were deployed and at least half a dozen police vehicles were destroyed by Molotov cocktails. At least 40 arrests have been confirmed by authorities, who also report that a gunshot was fired. According to the New Brunswick police, their officers have not discharged their firearms. The First Nation protesters have accused the RCMP of causing the clash by raiding their anti-fracking protest with arms drawn. JShepard
  • Score: 5

3:48pm Tue 18 Feb 14

JShepard says...

Light Your Water On Fire from Gas Drilling, Fracking

http://www.youtube.c
om/watch?v=4LBjSXWQR
V8

Fracking - Serious concerns

http://www.youtube.c
om/watch?v=dEB_Wwe-u
BM

Water near fracking leads to cancer and infertility

http://www.youtube.c
om/watch?v=fclBw4rdV
RU
Light Your Water On Fire from Gas Drilling, Fracking http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=4LBjSXWQR V8 Fracking - Serious concerns http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=dEB_Wwe-u BM Water near fracking leads to cancer and infertility http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=fclBw4rdV RU JShepard
  • Score: 4

3:48pm Tue 18 Feb 14

lassogaia says...

11th February in Canada. Explosion from fracking site owned by Chevron. People who have been evicted for days from their homes have been offered a free pizza as compensation.
11th February in Canada. Explosion from fracking site owned by Chevron. People who have been evicted for days from their homes have been offered a free pizza as compensation. lassogaia
  • Score: 13

6:08pm Tue 18 Feb 14

steveG says...

Fracking is the future - embrace it.
Fracking is the future - embrace it. steveG
  • Score: -14

6:32pm Tue 18 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

lassogaia wrote:
11th February in Canada. Explosion from fracking site owned by Chevron. People who have been evicted for days from their homes have been offered a free pizza as compensation.
But was it due to fracking or was it any other explanation?

It would like saying an explosion on a oil rig owned by BP, everyone had to be rescued and taken back to the mainland - but would it be down to drilling for oil?
[quote][p][bold]lassogaia[/bold] wrote: 11th February in Canada. Explosion from fracking site owned by Chevron. People who have been evicted for days from their homes have been offered a free pizza as compensation.[/p][/quote]But was it due to fracking or was it any other explanation? It would like saying an explosion on a oil rig owned by BP, everyone had to be rescued and taken back to the mainland - but would it be down to drilling for oil? BWFC71
  • Score: -35

6:49pm Tue 18 Feb 14

Back oth Bank Boy says...

IF THIS GO THROUGH OUR HOME INSURANCE,CAR INSURANCE, HEALTH INSURANCE, WILL GO UP SKY HIGH. NO WE DON'T WANT THAT.
THERE IS NOTHING TO GAIN IN THIS 'CON'. START WRITING TO YOUR COUNCILLORS.
IF THIS GO THROUGH OUR HOME INSURANCE,CAR INSURANCE, HEALTH INSURANCE, WILL GO UP SKY HIGH. NO WE DON'T WANT THAT. THERE IS NOTHING TO GAIN IN THIS 'CON'. START WRITING TO YOUR COUNCILLORS. Back oth Bank Boy
  • Score: 7

7:13pm Tue 18 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

Back oth Bank Boy wrote:
IF THIS GO THROUGH OUR HOME INSURANCE,CAR INSURANCE, HEALTH INSURANCE, WILL GO UP SKY HIGH. NO WE DON'T WANT THAT.
THERE IS NOTHING TO GAIN IN THIS 'CON'. START WRITING TO YOUR COUNCILLORS.
Will you be doing the same when we have brownouts and blackouts and not enough energy to keep a property warm?

Renewable energy may be the way forward but it is not at its optimum yet, and won't bee for the next 50-100 years due to how the technology should be for it to work efficiently, therefore until then where are we going to get our energy?

Gas via the Russians who like cutting countries off at the slightest twitch?
Oil via the Yanks who are hoarding so much and making the price sky-high thus blackmailing countries to buy more for less?
Coal, again very uneconomical and as such is high in price and is the most dirtiest fuel of the fossil collection?
Nuclear - it will take on average between 20 and 45 years to build the number of power stations required to power just the UK - so what do we do until then?

So call me selfish or whatever, if this fracking gives us the time to create other forms of energy then I am all for it - and yes, just like any other fuel which we dig/drill for there are dangers but it gives us that precious time required!!!
[quote][p][bold]Back oth Bank Boy[/bold] wrote: IF THIS GO THROUGH OUR HOME INSURANCE,CAR INSURANCE, HEALTH INSURANCE, WILL GO UP SKY HIGH. NO WE DON'T WANT THAT. THERE IS NOTHING TO GAIN IN THIS 'CON'. START WRITING TO YOUR COUNCILLORS.[/p][/quote]Will you be doing the same when we have brownouts and blackouts and not enough energy to keep a property warm? Renewable energy may be the way forward but it is not at its optimum yet, and won't bee for the next 50-100 years due to how the technology should be for it to work efficiently, therefore until then where are we going to get our energy? Gas via the Russians who like cutting countries off at the slightest twitch? Oil via the Yanks who are hoarding so much and making the price sky-high thus blackmailing countries to buy more for less? Coal, again very uneconomical and as such is high in price and is the most dirtiest fuel of the fossil collection? Nuclear - it will take on average between 20 and 45 years to build the number of power stations required to power just the UK - so what do we do until then? So call me selfish or whatever, if this fracking gives us the time to create other forms of energy then I am all for it - and yes, just like any other fuel which we dig/drill for there are dangers but it gives us that precious time required!!! BWFC71
  • Score: -40

7:29pm Tue 18 Feb 14

millarcy says...

BWFC71 wrote:
Back oth Bank Boy wrote:
IF THIS GO THROUGH OUR HOME INSURANCE,CAR INSURANCE, HEALTH INSURANCE, WILL GO UP SKY HIGH. NO WE DON'T WANT THAT.
THERE IS NOTHING TO GAIN IN THIS 'CON'. START WRITING TO YOUR COUNCILLORS.
Will you be doing the same when we have brownouts and blackouts and not enough energy to keep a property warm?

Renewable energy may be the way forward but it is not at its optimum yet, and won't bee for the next 50-100 years due to how the technology should be for it to work efficiently, therefore until then where are we going to get our energy?

Gas via the Russians who like cutting countries off at the slightest twitch?
Oil via the Yanks who are hoarding so much and making the price sky-high thus blackmailing countries to buy more for less?
Coal, again very uneconomical and as such is high in price and is the most dirtiest fuel of the fossil collection?
Nuclear - it will take on average between 20 and 45 years to build the number of power stations required to power just the UK - so what do we do until then?

So call me selfish or whatever, if this fracking gives us the time to create other forms of energy then I am all for it - and yes, just like any other fuel which we dig/drill for there are dangers but it gives us that precious time required!!!
I can't believe the vote is so close. What sort of idiot would vote yes to this question? I can only assume some halfwit keeps wiping his history cache so he can keep voting yes again! Is that you Cllr. Morris?
[quote][p][bold]BWFC71[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Back oth Bank Boy[/bold] wrote: IF THIS GO THROUGH OUR HOME INSURANCE,CAR INSURANCE, HEALTH INSURANCE, WILL GO UP SKY HIGH. NO WE DON'T WANT THAT. THERE IS NOTHING TO GAIN IN THIS 'CON'. START WRITING TO YOUR COUNCILLORS.[/p][/quote]Will you be doing the same when we have brownouts and blackouts and not enough energy to keep a property warm? Renewable energy may be the way forward but it is not at its optimum yet, and won't bee for the next 50-100 years due to how the technology should be for it to work efficiently, therefore until then where are we going to get our energy? Gas via the Russians who like cutting countries off at the slightest twitch? Oil via the Yanks who are hoarding so much and making the price sky-high thus blackmailing countries to buy more for less? Coal, again very uneconomical and as such is high in price and is the most dirtiest fuel of the fossil collection? Nuclear - it will take on average between 20 and 45 years to build the number of power stations required to power just the UK - so what do we do until then? So call me selfish or whatever, if this fracking gives us the time to create other forms of energy then I am all for it - and yes, just like any other fuel which we dig/drill for there are dangers but it gives us that precious time required!!![/p][/quote]I can't believe the vote is so close. What sort of idiot would vote yes to this question? I can only assume some halfwit keeps wiping his history cache so he can keep voting yes again! Is that you Cllr. Morris? millarcy
  • Score: 2

7:30pm Tue 18 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

JShepard wrote:
The Righteous One wrote:
Jim271 wrote:
LOL Ask the question.

Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE????
Because the Government have sahres in the energy companies that tend to deal with Nuclear power! Have a look for yourself!


With regards to fracking - the prcoess has been happening in mainland Europe for well over 40 years, and Canada has had no problem with fracking whatsoever - the only scare stories have come from mid-south USA and nowhere else - why is that?
What started as a peaceful protest by the Mi’kmaq First Nation in Elsipogtog, New Brunswick against a shale gas project has now spun violently out of control. After the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) advanced on the anti-fracking protest, demonstrators clashed with police, chemical agents were deployed and at least half a dozen police vehicles were destroyed by Molotov cocktails.

At least 40 arrests have been confirmed by authorities, who also report that a gunshot was fired. According to the New Brunswick police, their officers have not discharged their firearms. The First Nation protesters have accused the RCMP of causing the clash by raiding their anti-fracking protest with arms drawn.
But funnily enough nothing to suggest that fracking did any of these problems but extremists and protestors getting out of hand!

Therefore fracking is not at fault - how can anyone blame a fossil fuel extraction process for a group of holligans creating havoc?
[quote][p][bold]JShepard[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Righteous One[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jim271[/bold] wrote: LOL Ask the question. Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE????[/p][/quote]Because the Government have sahres in the energy companies that tend to deal with Nuclear power! Have a look for yourself! With regards to fracking - the prcoess has been happening in mainland Europe for well over 40 years, and Canada has had no problem with fracking whatsoever - the only scare stories have come from mid-south USA and nowhere else - why is that?[/p][/quote]What started as a peaceful protest by the Mi’kmaq First Nation in Elsipogtog, New Brunswick against a shale gas project has now spun violently out of control. After the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) advanced on the anti-fracking protest, demonstrators clashed with police, chemical agents were deployed and at least half a dozen police vehicles were destroyed by Molotov cocktails. At least 40 arrests have been confirmed by authorities, who also report that a gunshot was fired. According to the New Brunswick police, their officers have not discharged their firearms. The First Nation protesters have accused the RCMP of causing the clash by raiding their anti-fracking protest with arms drawn.[/p][/quote]But funnily enough nothing to suggest that fracking did any of these problems but extremists and protestors getting out of hand! Therefore fracking is not at fault - how can anyone blame a fossil fuel extraction process for a group of holligans creating havoc? BWFC71
  • Score: -30

7:36pm Tue 18 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

JShepard wrote:
Light Your Water On Fire from Gas Drilling, Fracking

http://www.youtube.c

om/watch?v=4LBjSXWQR

V8

Fracking - Serious concerns

http://www.youtube.c

om/watch?v=dEB_Wwe-u

BM

Water near fracking leads to cancer and infertility

http://www.youtube.c

om/watch?v=fclBw4rdV

RU
There has not bee recorded case of igniting water outside the US!

But what about coal extraction - how many people have died over the last couple of centuries? How many houses have been lost due to collapsing tunnels? How many sink-holes are appearing due to mining? How many people have died of caner or other illnesses that have come from mining coal?

What about gas extraction - how many explosions have their been, how many sinkholes have opened up, how many people have died due to extracting gas?

What about oil - do you remember the last oil platform fire - how many died, how many have lost their homes due to oil extraction.

If you want to put a sensible argument forward, against fracking, then you have to remember the dangers of extracting other fossil fuels and how many people have died because of their processes.

Also, lets not forget, that there have been no earth movement or igniting water in The Netherlands where they have been drilling for over 40 years!!! Nor in many African countries and not in Canada either!!!
[quote][p][bold]JShepard[/bold] wrote: Light Your Water On Fire from Gas Drilling, Fracking http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=4LBjSXWQR V8 Fracking - Serious concerns http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=dEB_Wwe-u BM Water near fracking leads to cancer and infertility http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=fclBw4rdV RU[/p][/quote]There has not bee recorded case of igniting water outside the US! But what about coal extraction - how many people have died over the last couple of centuries? How many houses have been lost due to collapsing tunnels? How many sink-holes are appearing due to mining? How many people have died of caner or other illnesses that have come from mining coal? What about gas extraction - how many explosions have their been, how many sinkholes have opened up, how many people have died due to extracting gas? What about oil - do you remember the last oil platform fire - how many died, how many have lost their homes due to oil extraction. If you want to put a sensible argument forward, against fracking, then you have to remember the dangers of extracting other fossil fuels and how many people have died because of their processes. Also, lets not forget, that there have been no earth movement or igniting water in The Netherlands where they have been drilling for over 40 years!!! Nor in many African countries and not in Canada either!!! BWFC71
  • Score: -18

7:38pm Tue 18 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

millarcy wrote:
BWFC71 wrote:
Back oth Bank Boy wrote:
IF THIS GO THROUGH OUR HOME INSURANCE,CAR INSURANCE, HEALTH INSURANCE, WILL GO UP SKY HIGH. NO WE DON'T WANT THAT.
THERE IS NOTHING TO GAIN IN THIS 'CON'. START WRITING TO YOUR COUNCILLORS.
Will you be doing the same when we have brownouts and blackouts and not enough energy to keep a property warm?

Renewable energy may be the way forward but it is not at its optimum yet, and won't bee for the next 50-100 years due to how the technology should be for it to work efficiently, therefore until then where are we going to get our energy?

Gas via the Russians who like cutting countries off at the slightest twitch?
Oil via the Yanks who are hoarding so much and making the price sky-high thus blackmailing countries to buy more for less?
Coal, again very uneconomical and as such is high in price and is the most dirtiest fuel of the fossil collection?
Nuclear - it will take on average between 20 and 45 years to build the number of power stations required to power just the UK - so what do we do until then?

So call me selfish or whatever, if this fracking gives us the time to create other forms of energy then I am all for it - and yes, just like any other fuel which we dig/drill for there are dangers but it gives us that precious time required!!!
I can't believe the vote is so close. What sort of idiot would vote yes to this question? I can only assume some halfwit keeps wiping his history cache so he can keep voting yes again! Is that you Cllr. Morris?
What sort of idiot would rather have open-cast mining and mining of other sorts that has more than detrimental results on property and lives than what fracking does?

Which of these processes are the lesser evil?
[quote][p][bold]millarcy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BWFC71[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Back oth Bank Boy[/bold] wrote: IF THIS GO THROUGH OUR HOME INSURANCE,CAR INSURANCE, HEALTH INSURANCE, WILL GO UP SKY HIGH. NO WE DON'T WANT THAT. THERE IS NOTHING TO GAIN IN THIS 'CON'. START WRITING TO YOUR COUNCILLORS.[/p][/quote]Will you be doing the same when we have brownouts and blackouts and not enough energy to keep a property warm? Renewable energy may be the way forward but it is not at its optimum yet, and won't bee for the next 50-100 years due to how the technology should be for it to work efficiently, therefore until then where are we going to get our energy? Gas via the Russians who like cutting countries off at the slightest twitch? Oil via the Yanks who are hoarding so much and making the price sky-high thus blackmailing countries to buy more for less? Coal, again very uneconomical and as such is high in price and is the most dirtiest fuel of the fossil collection? Nuclear - it will take on average between 20 and 45 years to build the number of power stations required to power just the UK - so what do we do until then? So call me selfish or whatever, if this fracking gives us the time to create other forms of energy then I am all for it - and yes, just like any other fuel which we dig/drill for there are dangers but it gives us that precious time required!!![/p][/quote]I can't believe the vote is so close. What sort of idiot would vote yes to this question? I can only assume some halfwit keeps wiping his history cache so he can keep voting yes again! Is that you Cllr. Morris?[/p][/quote]What sort of idiot would rather have open-cast mining and mining of other sorts that has more than detrimental results on property and lives than what fracking does? Which of these processes are the lesser evil? BWFC71
  • Score: -31

7:48pm Tue 18 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

http://en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/Pretoria_Pi
t_Disaster

Have you all forgotten about the dangers of mining for coal

Or are you suddenly blind about the dangers of drilling for oil

http://en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/Deepwater_H
orizon_oil_spill

Or what about the "natural" (non shale) gas disasters that have suddenly become hidden in this debate

http://en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/List_of_pip
eline_accidents

And lets not forget Chernobyl - which was actually highlighted on top Gear last Sunday....

http://en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/Chernobyl_d
isaster

And lets not forget about the wildlife, especially with opencast mining!!!

http://www.wildlifee
xtra.com/go/news/den
niston-mine013.html#
cr

As I ay, lets see ALL the evidence and not just one small bit of the picture, for a more informed and more intellect approach to any sort of fossil fuel extraction!
http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Pretoria_Pi t_Disaster Have you all forgotten about the dangers of mining for coal Or are you suddenly blind about the dangers of drilling for oil http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Deepwater_H orizon_oil_spill Or what about the "natural" (non shale) gas disasters that have suddenly become hidden in this debate http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/List_of_pip eline_accidents And lets not forget Chernobyl - which was actually highlighted on top Gear last Sunday.... http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Chernobyl_d isaster And lets not forget about the wildlife, especially with opencast mining!!! http://www.wildlifee xtra.com/go/news/den niston-mine013.html# cr As I ay, lets see ALL the evidence and not just one small bit of the picture, for a more informed and more intellect approach to any sort of fossil fuel extraction! BWFC71
  • Score: -38

8:23pm Tue 18 Feb 14

aardwolf says...

The information is indeed out there.
It is pointless engaging with the deluded anti-frackers because as the old maxim states "you should never argue with an idiot: the best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot."
So rest assured there is nothing to worry about.
There is everything to gain.
Roll on fracking !!!
The information is indeed out there. It is pointless engaging with the deluded anti-frackers because as the old maxim states "you should never argue with an idiot: the best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot." So rest assured there is nothing to worry about. There is everything to gain. Roll on fracking !!! aardwolf
  • Score: -5

8:41pm Tue 18 Feb 14

millarcy says...

To BWFC71
Seriously, in answer to the survey question "Do you want to see fracking IN BOLTON?" Yes or No?
Are you trying to make out that there are absolutely no environmental consequences associated with fracking. That it is some sort of miracle cure for our energy problems? Who do you think you are kidding?
To BWFC71 Seriously, in answer to the survey question "Do you want to see fracking IN BOLTON?" Yes or No? Are you trying to make out that there are absolutely no environmental consequences associated with fracking. That it is some sort of miracle cure for our energy problems? Who do you think you are kidding? millarcy
  • Score: 0

9:18pm Tue 18 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

YES!!!


There is environmental consequences in EVERYTHING that we dig or drill for and all come with wasted lives.

There is no cure for our need for energy but any little bit of extra fuel is a great help.

If anything the dangers of fracking are either equal to or less than the current, and past, dangers of other fossil fuel extractions!

Therefore, I do believe the risk is worth it! Just like the pioneers of the Industrial Revolution went against luddites and forged the world we have today. Its about keeping an open mind and trying anything as anything and everything IS possible!
YES!!! There is environmental consequences in EVERYTHING that we dig or drill for and all come with wasted lives. There is no cure for our need for energy but any little bit of extra fuel is a great help. If anything the dangers of fracking are either equal to or less than the current, and past, dangers of other fossil fuel extractions! Therefore, I do believe the risk is worth it! Just like the pioneers of the Industrial Revolution went against luddites and forged the world we have today. Its about keeping an open mind and trying anything as anything and everything IS possible! BWFC71
  • Score: -44

9:39pm Tue 18 Feb 14

lassogaia says...

When people have to resort to name calling then I think it's fair to say that they have lost their argument. Please don't call educated professionals "idiots". Some folk clearly have a very narrow view of who anti fracking campaigners are. We can afford renewables but they don't make enough money for energy companies. It's capitalism versus the environment yet again.

We will all have to live with the environmental impact of this so let's stand together, as normal human beings who have the right to clean water, to grow our own crops and to live a clean life.

Whose side are you on?
When people have to resort to name calling then I think it's fair to say that they have lost their argument. Please don't call educated professionals "idiots". Some folk clearly have a very narrow view of who anti fracking campaigners are. We can afford renewables but they don't make enough money for energy companies. It's capitalism versus the environment yet again. We will all have to live with the environmental impact of this so let's stand together, as normal human beings who have the right to clean water, to grow our own crops and to live a clean life. Whose side are you on? lassogaia
  • Score: 7

9:46pm Tue 18 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

Renewables are a high cost at this moment in time because the technology is not there, yet. Yes we have wind farms, waves farms, etc etc etc but the technology is still very rudimentary - that won't come profitable , or easily accessible, for about another 25-50 years - but the truth of the matter is we cannot wait that long anymore. The worlds population is rising at a fast pace (and that doesn't just mean the UK with migrant workers) but every countrys population is rising. Therefore we do need more and more energy and as such cost does have an implication - we cannot live on hope and handouts as the market economy has been around since cavemen (i.e. its not new and has been there since the start of human history).
Renewables are a high cost at this moment in time because the technology is not there, yet. Yes we have wind farms, waves farms, etc etc etc but the technology is still very rudimentary - that won't come profitable , or easily accessible, for about another 25-50 years - but the truth of the matter is we cannot wait that long anymore. The worlds population is rising at a fast pace (and that doesn't just mean the UK with migrant workers) but every countrys population is rising. Therefore we do need more and more energy and as such cost does have an implication - we cannot live on hope and handouts as the market economy has been around since cavemen (i.e. its not new and has been there since the start of human history). BWFC71
  • Score: -40

10:05pm Tue 18 Feb 14

lassogaia says...

There were fifteen major breakthroughs in renewable technology in 2013, including solar panels that store energy in salt and floating wind turbines. Who says it is expensive? The government? The energy companies? Of course they will!
There were fifteen major breakthroughs in renewable technology in 2013, including solar panels that store energy in salt and floating wind turbines. Who says it is expensive? The government? The energy companies? Of course they will! lassogaia
  • Score: 5

10:25pm Tue 18 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

lassogaia wrote:
There were fifteen major breakthroughs in renewable technology in 2013, including solar panels that store energy in salt and floating wind turbines. Who says it is expensive? The government? The energy companies? Of course they will!
Nope but the companies that provide the materials. You have to remember the breakthroughs are NOT mass produced and produced in small amounts because of the cost of building the machines and the materials used.

Basically not enough is being made and won't be for a while because of the technology to produce the materials and machinery.

How long did it take for the phone to be mass produced after Alexander Graham Bell invented it? Same with cars and again with anything else that is new. Even HD TV's took about 20 years before the machinery to produce them was cheap enough to mass produce. And although Japan currently have the next level of D it will be about 10-15 years before we get it because of the cost of producing machines to mass produce!!!

Whilst it is great to know breakthroughs are being made each day/week/year and that is down to entrepreneurship of many many people one has to remember that they are basically doing through a cottage style industry and cannot produce enough. One can see it week in and week out even just by watching dragon's Den that most people need funding to produce more or funding to refine their ideas!!!!
[quote][p][bold]lassogaia[/bold] wrote: There were fifteen major breakthroughs in renewable technology in 2013, including solar panels that store energy in salt and floating wind turbines. Who says it is expensive? The government? The energy companies? Of course they will![/p][/quote]Nope but the companies that provide the materials. You have to remember the breakthroughs are NOT mass produced and produced in small amounts because of the cost of building the machines and the materials used. Basically not enough is being made and won't be for a while because of the technology to produce the materials and machinery. How long did it take for the phone to be mass produced after Alexander Graham Bell invented it? Same with cars and again with anything else that is new. Even HD TV's took about 20 years before the machinery to produce them was cheap enough to mass produce. And although Japan currently have the next level of D it will be about 10-15 years before we get it because of the cost of producing machines to mass produce!!! Whilst it is great to know breakthroughs are being made each day/week/year and that is down to entrepreneurship of many many people one has to remember that they are basically doing through a cottage style industry and cannot produce enough. One can see it week in and week out even just by watching dragon's Den that most people need funding to produce more or funding to refine their ideas!!!! BWFC71
  • Score: -35

10:37pm Tue 18 Feb 14

Bob Shaftoe says...

Fracking is the future so get used to it.
The county's on his backside and, thanks to Thatcher we don't have coal anymore, we are held to ransom by foreign owned energy companies; Putin's gas company Gazprom and all the middle east shieks you can shake a stick at.
Fracking for natural gas will, eventually, make this country self sufficient in energy like the USA, What's wrong with that?
It's a good job some of the green zealots on here weren't around during the industrial revolution.
Fracking is the future so get used to it. The county's on his backside and, thanks to Thatcher we don't have coal anymore, we are held to ransom by foreign owned energy companies; Putin's gas company Gazprom and all the middle east shieks you can shake a stick at. Fracking for natural gas will, eventually, make this country self sufficient in energy like the USA, What's wrong with that? It's a good job some of the green zealots on here weren't around during the industrial revolution. Bob Shaftoe
  • Score: -5

11:38pm Tue 18 Feb 14

mr.mark.c says...

lassogaia wrote:
There were fifteen major breakthroughs in renewable technology in 2013, including solar panels that store energy in salt and floating wind turbines. Who says it is expensive? The government? The energy companies? Of course they will!
Good, now potter off and invest your Billions into development and production.
[quote][p][bold]lassogaia[/bold] wrote: There were fifteen major breakthroughs in renewable technology in 2013, including solar panels that store energy in salt and floating wind turbines. Who says it is expensive? The government? The energy companies? Of course they will![/p][/quote]Good, now potter off and invest your Billions into development and production. mr.mark.c
  • Score: -4

8:12am Wed 19 Feb 14

lassogaia says...

They manage to invest millions into Trident... And they seem to be able to find enough money to bail out the banks that got us into this economic climate. They are also offering tax breaks for businesses and money to open free schools when there are perfectly good state schools. They can also offer monetary incentives to the shale gas companies.
So, I'm sorry, but I don't buy into this myth that they can't afford it. Because, if the energy companies and government really want to, they could. But, as I said earlier, it doesn't make them enough money.
It's capitalism at the expense of health and the environment.
They manage to invest millions into Trident... And they seem to be able to find enough money to bail out the banks that got us into this economic climate. They are also offering tax breaks for businesses and money to open free schools when there are perfectly good state schools. They can also offer monetary incentives to the shale gas companies. So, I'm sorry, but I don't buy into this myth that they can't afford it. Because, if the energy companies and government really want to, they could. But, as I said earlier, it doesn't make them enough money. It's capitalism at the expense of health and the environment. lassogaia
  • Score: 3

8:26am Wed 19 Feb 14

Jim271 says...

They claimed North Sea Oil would make this country independent on energy.

Its Foreign companies like TOTAL that want to rip up the British countryside for profits and the final irony is UKIP fully support it.

The police should be protecting the British taxpayer, not acting as a mercenary security force for big companies.
They claimed North Sea Oil would make this country independent on energy. Its Foreign companies like TOTAL that want to rip up the British countryside for profits and the final irony is UKIP fully support it. The police should be protecting the British taxpayer, not acting as a mercenary security force for big companies. Jim271
  • Score: 0

10:50am Wed 19 Feb 14

Beyond News Forum says...

danssoncabaret wrote:
You are scaremongering Sir and inciting protest and violence. I have seen ''fracking'' in Europe and people there have the benefit of cheaper fuel, jobs and a future fuel security.
Had you and your ilk been around during the industrial revolution we should all be still be living in with poor sanitation, no heating or lighting. Living In disease and squalor, with no modern medicine, health infrastructure and no modern transport system. I am surprised at The Bolton News for publishing such a contentious article. Without the benefit of a counter opinion, this article will certainly incite a negative reaction among the petrol pump stickers the ''fracking campers'' and naysayers.
You are a liar and a complete retard sir. I lived in the USA, saw first hand the destruction of the environment Fracking causes. Not only is it destructive to the environment it is a shareholder and CEO financial scam. Despite the USA having its own resources in oil wells and gas well, the excess of gas produced from Fracking HAS NOT BROUGHT THE PRICE OF GAS DOWN, INSTEAD IT HAS GONE UP.

Europe hardly has any Fracking wells, France has outlawed the practice and banned it yet want to take the pi$$ and use British land to reap profit.

If you want cheaper power that is cleaner and less destructive to the environment, then stop being a sheeple and turn to something that is greener such as solar and wind - stop winging about ever increasing bills - the oil companies are the ones that do not want you go green. They want to scam you with another environmental disaster and profit making racket. LMAO if you think that these corporations are interested in the slightest in saving you money and cutting down the billion £ profiteering you are more foolish than your retarded statement reads.
[quote][p][bold]danssoncabaret[/bold] wrote: You are scaremongering Sir and inciting protest and violence. I have seen ''fracking'' in Europe and people there have the benefit of cheaper fuel, jobs and a future fuel security. Had you and your ilk been around during the industrial revolution we should all be still be living in with poor sanitation, no heating or lighting. Living In disease and squalor, with no modern medicine, health infrastructure and no modern transport system. I am surprised at The Bolton News for publishing such a contentious article. Without the benefit of a counter opinion, this article will certainly incite a negative reaction among the petrol pump stickers the ''fracking campers'' and naysayers.[/p][/quote]You are a liar and a complete retard sir. I lived in the USA, saw first hand the destruction of the environment Fracking causes. Not only is it destructive to the environment it is a shareholder and CEO financial scam. Despite the USA having its own resources in oil wells and gas well, the excess of gas produced from Fracking HAS NOT BROUGHT THE PRICE OF GAS DOWN, INSTEAD IT HAS GONE UP. Europe hardly has any Fracking wells, France has outlawed the practice and banned it yet want to take the pi$$ and use British land to reap profit. If you want cheaper power that is cleaner and less destructive to the environment, then stop being a sheeple and turn to something that is greener such as solar and wind - stop winging about ever increasing bills - the oil companies are the ones that do not want you go green. They want to scam you with another environmental disaster and profit making racket. LMAO if you think that these corporations are interested in the slightest in saving you money and cutting down the billion £ profiteering you are more foolish than your retarded statement reads. Beyond News Forum
  • Score: 1

11:11am Wed 19 Feb 14

Beyond News Forum says...

The Righteous One wrote:
Jim271 wrote:
LOL Ask the question.

Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE????
Because the Government have sahres in the energy companies that tend to deal with Nuclear power! Have a look for yourself!


With regards to fracking - the prcoess has been happening in mainland Europe for well over 40 years, and Canada has had no problem with fracking whatsoever - the only scare stories have come from mid-south USA and nowhere else - why is that?
Canada do not give two sh!ts about the environment and you obviously know nothing about French or Canadian energy companies - you are talking CR@P.

Canada's Fracking zones are under a lot of pressure from the environmental department of the country to clean up there act. The French have an interest in Nuclear and a limited vested interest. But they still reap a lot from natural resources. They just do not see Fracking as safe.

Also I would hasten you to view and buff up on Tar Sands and take a look at your beloved oil companies in action,.

The scaremongering coming from the USA you absolute dunce is because the FACTS are being ignored about the poisonous and dangerous nature of the industry. People are waking up to the nonsense that is Fracking. Why DO YOU NOT WANT FREE ENERGY?

DO YOU sir have an interest in the monetary side of the oil and gas business?

You declare that yet another rape of the Earths resources is a viable and sustainable option, declaring that it will bring cheaper fuel, without knowing the facts - but like a good corporate puppet you defend the profiteering and extortion of cash from your fellow citizens when the actual fact of the matter is that WE THE PEOPLE CAN HAVE CLEAN FREE ENERGY but the oil lobby own the fecking GOVERNMENTS around this planet.

SO tell me sir... do you tell stories to your grandchildren? Tell them this one... In the future we ruined this planet for you, we created paradoxes that caused climate change and screwed the economy of the planet. The planet will bake and your only hope is to get off this rock and find another planet to screw over for its resources.

All these ridiculous statements defending any oil or gas corporation are being made by self servers, me me me, stuck in the past, idiots that do not want change or viable green energies because the change will disturb your comfort and usual routines.

You are one of these people that will only protest against these corporations when your petrol reaches £2.50 per litre and heating your home is £4000 per year.

You and your kind are a travesty to society and the younger generations who are supposed to look up to you - how can we look up to you old pompous twits when all you do is back the very people that destroy economies and ruin lives?
[quote][p][bold]The Righteous One[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jim271[/bold] wrote: LOL Ask the question. Why is FRACKING banned in FRANCE????[/p][/quote]Because the Government have sahres in the energy companies that tend to deal with Nuclear power! Have a look for yourself! With regards to fracking - the prcoess has been happening in mainland Europe for well over 40 years, and Canada has had no problem with fracking whatsoever - the only scare stories have come from mid-south USA and nowhere else - why is that?[/p][/quote]Canada do not give two sh!ts about the environment and you obviously know nothing about French or Canadian energy companies - you are talking CR@P. Canada's Fracking zones are under a lot of pressure from the environmental department of the country to clean up there act. The French have an interest in Nuclear and a limited vested interest. But they still reap a lot from natural resources. They just do not see Fracking as safe. Also I would hasten you to view and buff up on Tar Sands and take a look at your beloved oil companies in action,. The scaremongering coming from the USA you absolute dunce is because the FACTS are being ignored about the poisonous and dangerous nature of the industry. People are waking up to the nonsense that is Fracking. Why DO YOU NOT WANT FREE ENERGY? DO YOU sir have an interest in the monetary side of the oil and gas business? You declare that yet another rape of the Earths resources is a viable and sustainable option, declaring that it will bring cheaper fuel, without knowing the facts - but like a good corporate puppet you defend the profiteering and extortion of cash from your fellow citizens when the actual fact of the matter is that WE THE PEOPLE CAN HAVE CLEAN FREE ENERGY but the oil lobby own the fecking GOVERNMENTS around this planet. SO tell me sir... do you tell stories to your grandchildren? Tell them this one... In the future we ruined this planet for you, we created paradoxes that caused climate change and screwed the economy of the planet. The planet will bake and your only hope is to get off this rock and find another planet to screw over for its resources. All these ridiculous statements defending any oil or gas corporation are being made by self servers, me me me, stuck in the past, idiots that do not want change or viable green energies because the change will disturb your comfort and usual routines. You are one of these people that will only protest against these corporations when your petrol reaches £2.50 per litre and heating your home is £4000 per year. You and your kind are a travesty to society and the younger generations who are supposed to look up to you - how can we look up to you old pompous twits when all you do is back the very people that destroy economies and ruin lives? Beyond News Forum
  • Score: 0

11:30am Wed 19 Feb 14

Beyond News Forum says...

I was listening to a director of one of these fracking franchises discussing and bragging about the money about to be made in Westhoughton on the train last Saturday. His tone was not that of a man incensed by saving money for people or creating jobs. His tone was that of profit, and such a shame, haha a crying shame to ruin a beautiful zone.

If any of you here defending an industry that will cost billions to build, cost billions in wages and millions in taxes - think that the cost of fuel will come down you have another thing coming.

Firstly before any possible savings the corporations will need to quickly recoup and money spent on the infrastructure of such fracking projects, logistics, land surveys, buy-offs, compensation and of course wages and balancing out financial losses to their other fossil fuel projects - hence NO SAVINGS ON GAS PRICES.

THE STUPID OF PRO-FRACKING LOBBYISTS BURNS!
I was listening to a director of one of these fracking franchises discussing and bragging about the money about to be made in Westhoughton on the train last Saturday. His tone was not that of a man incensed by saving money for people or creating jobs. His tone was that of profit, and such a shame, haha a crying shame to ruin a beautiful zone. If any of you here defending an industry that will cost billions to build, cost billions in wages and millions in taxes - think that the cost of fuel will come down you have another thing coming. Firstly before any possible savings the corporations will need to quickly recoup and money spent on the infrastructure of such fracking projects, logistics, land surveys, buy-offs, compensation and of course wages and balancing out financial losses to their other fossil fuel projects - hence NO SAVINGS ON GAS PRICES. THE STUPID OF PRO-FRACKING LOBBYISTS BURNS! Beyond News Forum
  • Score: 0

12:34pm Wed 19 Feb 14

Bob Shaftoe says...

Boy, can't you tell it's half term!
This thread has been taken over by green zealots & NUT fruitcakes.
Back to school next week to brainwash our kids with green propaganda no doubt.
Boy, can't you tell it's half term! This thread has been taken over by green zealots & NUT fruitcakes. Back to school next week to brainwash our kids with green propaganda no doubt. Bob Shaftoe
  • Score: 1

1:32pm Wed 19 Feb 14

Bob Shaftoe says...

Beyond News Forum wrote:
I was listening to a director of one of these fracking franchises discussing and bragging about the money about to be made in Westhoughton on the train last Saturday. His tone was not that of a man incensed by saving money for people or creating jobs. His tone was that of profit, and such a shame, haha a crying shame to ruin a beautiful zone.

If any of you here defending an industry that will cost billions to build, cost billions in wages and millions in taxes - think that the cost of fuel will come down you have another thing coming.

Firstly before any possible savings the corporations will need to quickly recoup and money spent on the infrastructure of such fracking projects, logistics, land surveys, buy-offs, compensation and of course wages and balancing out financial losses to their other fossil fuel projects - hence NO SAVINGS ON GAS PRICES.

THE STUPID OF PRO-FRACKING LOBBYISTS BURNS!
You probably are new to this area and don't remember the black rock that was mined in the Westhoughton area. It's called COAL.
By comparison fracking is clean, green and the natural gas it provides is a lot less expensive to produce. So bring it on!

Just a question. When our gas does runs out what are you going to use to heat your house and get your hot water?

Oh sorry, I forgot. The new green & clean smokey alternative, wood burners. No thanks.
[quote][p][bold]Beyond News Forum[/bold] wrote: I was listening to a director of one of these fracking franchises discussing and bragging about the money about to be made in Westhoughton on the train last Saturday. His tone was not that of a man incensed by saving money for people or creating jobs. His tone was that of profit, and such a shame, haha a crying shame to ruin a beautiful zone. If any of you here defending an industry that will cost billions to build, cost billions in wages and millions in taxes - think that the cost of fuel will come down you have another thing coming. Firstly before any possible savings the corporations will need to quickly recoup and money spent on the infrastructure of such fracking projects, logistics, land surveys, buy-offs, compensation and of course wages and balancing out financial losses to their other fossil fuel projects - hence NO SAVINGS ON GAS PRICES. THE STUPID OF PRO-FRACKING LOBBYISTS BURNS![/p][/quote]You probably are new to this area and don't remember the black rock that was mined in the Westhoughton area. It's called COAL. By comparison fracking is clean, green and the natural gas it provides is a lot less expensive to produce. So bring it on! Just a question. When our gas does runs out what are you going to use to heat your house and get your hot water? Oh sorry, I forgot. The new green & clean smokey alternative, wood burners. No thanks. Bob Shaftoe
  • Score: 2

4:44pm Wed 19 Feb 14

The Righteous One says...

lassogaia wrote:
They manage to invest millions into Trident... And they seem to be able to find enough money to bail out the banks that got us into this economic climate. They are also offering tax breaks for businesses and money to open free schools when there are perfectly good state schools. They can also offer monetary incentives to the shale gas companies.
So, I'm sorry, but I don't buy into this myth that they can't afford it. Because, if the energy companies and government really want to, they could. But, as I said earlier, it doesn't make them enough money.
It's capitalism at the expense of health and the environment.
If the state gets involved that it becomes a public body and under the free market regime of the 3 major parties free market reigns over subsidised public purse - plus then you get teh same people moaning about fracking then moaning about the public money being spent on clean energies!!! Catch22
[quote][p][bold]lassogaia[/bold] wrote: They manage to invest millions into Trident... And they seem to be able to find enough money to bail out the banks that got us into this economic climate. They are also offering tax breaks for businesses and money to open free schools when there are perfectly good state schools. They can also offer monetary incentives to the shale gas companies. So, I'm sorry, but I don't buy into this myth that they can't afford it. Because, if the energy companies and government really want to, they could. But, as I said earlier, it doesn't make them enough money. It's capitalism at the expense of health and the environment.[/p][/quote]If the state gets involved that it becomes a public body and under the free market regime of the 3 major parties free market reigns over subsidised public purse - plus then you get teh same people moaning about fracking then moaning about the public money being spent on clean energies!!! Catch22 The Righteous One
  • Score: -35

10:03pm Wed 19 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

Thee problems in the Ukraine..... but there is a bigger problem - what if the gas pipeline, that goes through the Ukraine, gets turned off or damaged, where will we get our 75%+ gas supply from?

I am sure many of you anti-frackers would soon change their mind, if it did happen!
Thee problems in the Ukraine..... but there is a bigger problem - what if the gas pipeline, that goes through the Ukraine, gets turned off or damaged, where will we get our 75%+ gas supply from? I am sure many of you anti-frackers would soon change their mind, if it did happen! BWFC71
  • Score: -38

3:55am Thu 20 Feb 14

Mike+5 says...

We have a fantastic opportunity to give our children (sic) free energy without sending real people underground to mine coal by digging away rock and causing rock falls (and crushing people) and causing all manner of movement and disruption to the surface of the planet and we still object to it.

What the hell do we want?. Theres nothing that comes absolutely free in life. Fracking, we are told, does not take away the rock, but actually pulverises the rock,(and which still remains} and which again we are told causes minimal movement since it takes place over a mile or even four miles underground depending on which article you have read.

I, personally, always remember the old coal miners who used to say that their sons would never go down the pit.

Now, with fracking , they don't need to.

Regards

Mike Heuze
We have a fantastic opportunity to give our children (sic) free energy without sending real people underground to mine coal by digging away rock and causing rock falls (and crushing people) and causing all manner of movement and disruption to the surface of the planet and we still object to it. What the hell do we want?. Theres nothing that comes absolutely free in life. Fracking, we are told, does not take away the rock, but actually pulverises the rock,(and which still remains} and which again we are told causes minimal movement since it takes place over a mile or even four miles underground depending on which article you have read. I, personally, always remember the old coal miners who used to say that their sons would never go down the pit. Now, with fracking , they don't need to. Regards Mike Heuze Mike+5
  • Score: 3

7:29pm Thu 20 Feb 14

lassogaia says...

Bob Shaftoe wrote:
Beyond News Forum wrote:
I was listening to a director of one of these fracking franchises discussing and bragging about the money about to be made in Westhoughton on the train last Saturday. His tone was not that of a man incensed by saving money for people or creating jobs. His tone was that of profit, and such a shame, haha a crying shame to ruin a beautiful zone.

If any of you here defending an industry that will cost billions to build, cost billions in wages and millions in taxes - think that the cost of fuel will come down you have another thing coming.

Firstly before any possible savings the corporations will need to quickly recoup and money spent on the infrastructure of such fracking projects, logistics, land surveys, buy-offs, compensation and of course wages and balancing out financial losses to their other fossil fuel projects - hence NO SAVINGS ON GAS PRICES.

THE STUPID OF PRO-FRACKING LOBBYISTS BURNS!
You probably are new to this area and don't remember the black rock that was mined in the Westhoughton area. It's called COAL.
By comparison fracking is clean, green and the natural gas it provides is a lot less expensive to produce. So bring it on!

Just a question. When our gas does runs out what are you going to use to heat your house and get your hot water?

Oh sorry, I forgot. The new green & clean smokey alternative, wood burners. No thanks.
Hello Bob
It's not the same as coal mining at all.
Internal EIA documents admit that fracking companies tend to overstate the size of their reserves by basing their estimates on the gas extracted from the best locations (or ‘sweet spots’) in shale formations
They also note that fracking produces an initial rush of fuel which
then drops off sharply, meaning that it may not be economic to extract all the gas or oil from each well – companies choose to take the first, most profitable burst and then move on. (Source: The New York Times website, ‘Federal Officials Quietly Question Shale Gas’; nin.tl/1gjPo9L)
Not the same as coal mining at all. Indeed, studies show that although the immediate environmental impact of shale gas extraction through fracking are SLIGHTLY smaller, the increase in traffic and the long-term environmental impact actually makes the risks GREATER.
As with all fossil fuels, shale is a finite resource.
Coal use in the US has definitely been dropping. Between 2006 and 2011, the amount of coal used to generate electricity fell by 22 per cent. However,
researchers at CO2 Scorecard have used industry figures to calculate that the lower price of gas in relation to coal only caused about a third of this reduction, with the rest due to other factors such as pollution regulation and environmental campaigning.
At the same time, the rush of cheap gas also discouraged an even larger amount of renewable energy and efficiency from getting off the ground, meaning that the overall environmental benefit has been small and
short term at best. (Source: Shakeb Afsah and Kendyl Salcito, ‘Shale Gas and the Fairy Tale of its CO2 Reductions’, CO2 Scorecard,
7 August 2012)
As for renewables - There is a growing body of evidence that
renewable technology is already good enough for us to transition away from fossil fuels altogether. Reports such as Zero Carbon
Britain and Zero Carbon Australia have laid out national decarbonization models, while the UK Tar Sands Network has developed an interactive graphic showing how everyone on the planet could have a good quality
of life without burning any fossil fuels. This could be done using existing renewable technology and a fairer sharing out of global energy use

Sad fact is that our government don't see any money in renewables. We can make this happen and can go forward. But we are halted by the big energy companies.
[quote][p][bold]Bob Shaftoe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Beyond News Forum[/bold] wrote: I was listening to a director of one of these fracking franchises discussing and bragging about the money about to be made in Westhoughton on the train last Saturday. His tone was not that of a man incensed by saving money for people or creating jobs. His tone was that of profit, and such a shame, haha a crying shame to ruin a beautiful zone. If any of you here defending an industry that will cost billions to build, cost billions in wages and millions in taxes - think that the cost of fuel will come down you have another thing coming. Firstly before any possible savings the corporations will need to quickly recoup and money spent on the infrastructure of such fracking projects, logistics, land surveys, buy-offs, compensation and of course wages and balancing out financial losses to their other fossil fuel projects - hence NO SAVINGS ON GAS PRICES. THE STUPID OF PRO-FRACKING LOBBYISTS BURNS![/p][/quote]You probably are new to this area and don't remember the black rock that was mined in the Westhoughton area. It's called COAL. By comparison fracking is clean, green and the natural gas it provides is a lot less expensive to produce. So bring it on! Just a question. When our gas does runs out what are you going to use to heat your house and get your hot water? Oh sorry, I forgot. The new green & clean smokey alternative, wood burners. No thanks.[/p][/quote]Hello Bob It's not the same as coal mining at all. Internal EIA documents admit that fracking companies tend to overstate the size of their reserves by basing their estimates on the gas extracted from the best locations (or ‘sweet spots’) in shale formations They also note that fracking produces an initial rush of fuel which then drops off sharply, meaning that it may not be economic to extract all the gas or oil from each well – companies choose to take the first, most profitable burst and then move on. (Source: The New York Times website, ‘Federal Officials Quietly Question Shale Gas’; nin.tl/1gjPo9L) Not the same as coal mining at all. Indeed, studies show that although the immediate environmental impact of shale gas extraction through fracking are SLIGHTLY smaller, the increase in traffic and the long-term environmental impact actually makes the risks GREATER. As with all fossil fuels, shale is a finite resource. Coal use in the US has definitely been dropping. Between 2006 and 2011, the amount of coal used to generate electricity fell by 22 per cent. However, researchers at CO2 Scorecard have used industry figures to calculate that the lower price of gas in relation to coal only caused about a third of this reduction, with the rest due to other factors such as pollution regulation and environmental campaigning. At the same time, the rush of cheap gas also discouraged an even larger amount of renewable energy and efficiency from getting off the ground, meaning that the overall environmental benefit has been small and short term at best. (Source: Shakeb Afsah and Kendyl Salcito, ‘Shale Gas and the Fairy Tale of its CO2 Reductions’, CO2 Scorecard, 7 August 2012) As for renewables - There is a growing body of evidence that renewable technology is already good enough for us to transition away from fossil fuels altogether. Reports such as Zero Carbon Britain and Zero Carbon Australia have laid out national decarbonization models, while the UK Tar Sands Network has developed an interactive graphic showing how everyone on the planet could have a good quality of life without burning any fossil fuels. This could be done using existing renewable technology and a fairer sharing out of global energy use Sad fact is that our government don't see any money in renewables. We can make this happen and can go forward. But we are halted by the big energy companies. lassogaia
  • Score: -2

10:15pm Thu 20 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

lassogaia,

But like I have previously mentioned, IF the Government starts to pay for the creation energy then it becomes part of the public service and as public service has a bad name amongst a high percentage of people (not inlcudng me) then people will question as to why so much money would be being wasted in such a folly.

As it is all forms of energy extraction , according to the 3 main parties, HAS to be via an open market economy, but as it is, and explained earlier, it is far too expensive to switch - it takes many years to have the infrastructure in place and then it is also expensive to get the materials in place to create the infrastructure as companies (or any Government) would have to go to engineering companies, get the best quote, then the engineering companies would have to get the machinery, to mass produce which means asking for loans etc from financial institutions etc etc etc - As I say it takes too much money and many years of preparation - so what would you do in that time?

Also the other problem, which I have highlighted is the gas pipe through Ukraine which could be switched off or even damaged at any moment which would cut off the gas supply, and as over 70% of UK gas comes from that pipe, how would you recover that immediate loss - which then leads to another question.....

If we did do a quick change over fro fossil fuels to "renewable" how would you cover the cost to households which have gas supplies - again it costs money and money which "normal" people do not have readily available!

In an ideological world swapping from fossil to renewable would be so easy and quick to do, but that world doesn't exist, and it never has one and nor it never will!
lassogaia, But like I have previously mentioned, IF the Government starts to pay for the creation energy then it becomes part of the public service and as public service has a bad name amongst a high percentage of people (not inlcudng me) then people will question as to why so much money would be being wasted in such a folly. As it is all forms of energy extraction , according to the 3 main parties, HAS to be via an open market economy, but as it is, and explained earlier, it is far too expensive to switch - it takes many years to have the infrastructure in place and then it is also expensive to get the materials in place to create the infrastructure as companies (or any Government) would have to go to engineering companies, get the best quote, then the engineering companies would have to get the machinery, to mass produce which means asking for loans etc from financial institutions etc etc etc - As I say it takes too much money and many years of preparation - so what would you do in that time? Also the other problem, which I have highlighted is the gas pipe through Ukraine which could be switched off or even damaged at any moment which would cut off the gas supply, and as over 70% of UK gas comes from that pipe, how would you recover that immediate loss - which then leads to another question..... If we did do a quick change over fro fossil fuels to "renewable" how would you cover the cost to households which have gas supplies - again it costs money and money which "normal" people do not have readily available! In an ideological world swapping from fossil to renewable would be so easy and quick to do, but that world doesn't exist, and it never has one and nor it never will! BWFC71
  • Score: -43

3:50pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Bob Shaftoe says...

Lassogala.

Thanks for all the green nonsense. Now please answer the question.

When our gas does runs out what are you going to use to heat your house and get your hot water?
Lassogala. Thanks for all the green nonsense. Now please answer the question. When our gas does runs out what are you going to use to heat your house and get your hot water? Bob Shaftoe
  • Score: 2

5:04pm Fri 21 Feb 14

MrMoo85 says...

danssoncabaret wrote:
You are scaremongering Sir and inciting protest and violence. I have seen ''fracking'' in Europe and people there have the benefit of cheaper fuel, jobs and a future fuel security.
Had you and your ilk been around during the industrial revolution we should all be still be living in with poor sanitation, no heating or lighting. Living In disease and squalor, with no modern medicine, health infrastructure and no modern transport system. I am surprised at The Bolton News for publishing such a contentious article. Without the benefit of a counter opinion, this article will certainly incite a negative reaction among the petrol pump stickers the ''fracking campers'' and naysayers.
Who are you working for? Fracking is dangerous and there is a wealth of evidence to show that it is...

http://www.usatoday.
com/story/money/busi
ness/2014/01/05/some
-states-confirm-wate
r-pollution-from-dri
lling/4328859/

http://www.huffingto
npost.com/huff-wires
/20110308/us-wyoming
-smog/

Even George Osborne has admitted that it won't lead to lower bills. Which European countries are you referring too. I'm not aware of these cases. Please enlighten me.
[quote][p][bold]danssoncabaret[/bold] wrote: You are scaremongering Sir and inciting protest and violence. I have seen ''fracking'' in Europe and people there have the benefit of cheaper fuel, jobs and a future fuel security. Had you and your ilk been around during the industrial revolution we should all be still be living in with poor sanitation, no heating or lighting. Living In disease and squalor, with no modern medicine, health infrastructure and no modern transport system. I am surprised at The Bolton News for publishing such a contentious article. Without the benefit of a counter opinion, this article will certainly incite a negative reaction among the petrol pump stickers the ''fracking campers'' and naysayers.[/p][/quote]Who are you working for? Fracking is dangerous and there is a wealth of evidence to show that it is... http://www.usatoday. com/story/money/busi ness/2014/01/05/some -states-confirm-wate r-pollution-from-dri lling/4328859/ http://www.huffingto npost.com/huff-wires /20110308/us-wyoming -smog/ Even George Osborne has admitted that it won't lead to lower bills. Which European countries are you referring too. I'm not aware of these cases. Please enlighten me. MrMoo85
  • Score: 0

7:57pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Mr darcy says...

Nothing wrong or dangerous about fracking, It can only bring cheaper bills for the working family which clearly the Labour party and there left wing chums do not want nor support. Move on to tree hugging or the likes BEN, your union backed left wing troublesome reporters have lost this one. Perhaps your story regarding a bolton man in court regarding the edl trouble in Birmingham that is factualy incorrect and dangerous to put out with out investigating may get so much attention has this rubbish . BEN, Crime reporter ? I guess she is at an anti-facking demo !
Nothing wrong or dangerous about fracking, It can only bring cheaper bills for the working family which clearly the Labour party and there left wing chums do not want nor support. Move on to tree hugging or the likes BEN, your union backed left wing troublesome reporters have lost this one. Perhaps your story regarding a bolton man in court regarding the edl trouble in Birmingham that is factualy incorrect and dangerous to put out with out investigating may get so much attention has this rubbish . BEN, Crime reporter ? I guess she is at an anti-facking demo ! Mr darcy
  • Score: 2

10:03pm Fri 21 Feb 14

mr.mark.c says...

Fracking
DILLIGAF
We have raped this planet for as long as mankind has been resident.
Will the greenies please shut up, get jobs and live with it.
Infact, stop using all forms of power, that way you can and will slow the process, just make sure that you eat from the land, live in self fashioned mud huts and leave the rest of us alone.
Fracking DILLIGAF We have raped this planet for as long as mankind has been resident. Will the greenies please shut up, get jobs and live with it. Infact, stop using all forms of power, that way you can and will slow the process, just make sure that you eat from the land, live in self fashioned mud huts and leave the rest of us alone. mr.mark.c
  • Score: -12

9:34am Sat 22 Feb 14

Bob Shaftoe says...

C'mon greenies, instead of copy & pasting obscure anti-frack stuff from the USA just answer my question PLEASE.

WHEN OUR GAS RUNS OUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO USE TO HEAT YOUR HOUSE AND GET YOUR HOT WATER.
C'mon greenies, instead of copy & pasting obscure anti-frack stuff from the USA just answer my question PLEASE. WHEN OUR GAS RUNS OUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO USE TO HEAT YOUR HOUSE AND GET YOUR HOT WATER. Bob Shaftoe
  • Score: 1

11:04am Sat 22 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

MrMoo85 wrote:
danssoncabaret wrote:
You are scaremongering Sir and inciting protest and violence. I have seen ''fracking'' in Europe and people there have the benefit of cheaper fuel, jobs and a future fuel security.
Had you and your ilk been around during the industrial revolution we should all be still be living in with poor sanitation, no heating or lighting. Living In disease and squalor, with no modern medicine, health infrastructure and no modern transport system. I am surprised at The Bolton News for publishing such a contentious article. Without the benefit of a counter opinion, this article will certainly incite a negative reaction among the petrol pump stickers the ''fracking campers'' and naysayers.
Who are you working for? Fracking is dangerous and there is a wealth of evidence to show that it is...

http://www.usatoday.

com/story/money/busi

ness/2014/01/05/some

-states-confirm-wate

r-pollution-from-dri

lling/4328859/

http://www.huffingto

npost.com/huff-wires

/20110308/us-wyoming

-smog/

Even George Osborne has admitted that it won't lead to lower bills. Which European countries are you referring too. I'm not aware of these cases. Please enlighten me.
Why are you NOT quoting from other countries that have fracking ssuch as The Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Canada, Mexico, South Africa etc etc etc why are the quotes only from the US???
[quote][p][bold]MrMoo85[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]danssoncabaret[/bold] wrote: You are scaremongering Sir and inciting protest and violence. I have seen ''fracking'' in Europe and people there have the benefit of cheaper fuel, jobs and a future fuel security. Had you and your ilk been around during the industrial revolution we should all be still be living in with poor sanitation, no heating or lighting. Living In disease and squalor, with no modern medicine, health infrastructure and no modern transport system. I am surprised at The Bolton News for publishing such a contentious article. Without the benefit of a counter opinion, this article will certainly incite a negative reaction among the petrol pump stickers the ''fracking campers'' and naysayers.[/p][/quote]Who are you working for? Fracking is dangerous and there is a wealth of evidence to show that it is... http://www.usatoday. com/story/money/busi ness/2014/01/05/some -states-confirm-wate r-pollution-from-dri lling/4328859/ http://www.huffingto npost.com/huff-wires /20110308/us-wyoming -smog/ Even George Osborne has admitted that it won't lead to lower bills. Which European countries are you referring too. I'm not aware of these cases. Please enlighten me.[/p][/quote]Why are you NOT quoting from other countries that have fracking ssuch as The Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Canada, Mexico, South Africa etc etc etc why are the quotes only from the US??? BWFC71
  • Score: -31

12:43pm Sat 22 Feb 14

lassogaia says...

What we can do:
Investment into renewables. Spain and Portugal have managed it. Portugal had 70% of their energy from renewables.

Other studies not in US:
Well, considering the technique we are looking at doing is comparable to the US, I don't actually see a problem with citing them at all. But if you want something from Canada - here you are:
http://commonsenseca
nadian.ca/REPORTED_E
LSEWHERE-detail/chev
ron-offers-pizza-vic
tims-fracking-explos
ion/
You need any more proof that these companies don't really care about us?

There are danger stories coming from SA (e.g. http://www.news24.co
m/Columnists/Andreas
Spath/SAs-new-fracki
ng-regulations-are-f
lawed-20131224) and I'm sure many more if you look for them.

Studies which suggest this this is safe have been created by THE INDUSTRIES. So come on, wake up!

The 'greens' were looked down on in the 70s and 80s when they called for more investment into renewable energy. They were even laughed at by the same types of people who seem to think that fracking is a good idea.

And now look at where we've got to!

We need an urgent plan to move FORWARDS and not BACKWARDS. By allowing fracking all we are doing is HALTING THE PROCESS OF DELIVERING RENEWABLES. Don't you see this?!?!?

Fossil fuels are finite. You want our country potmarked with industrial wells? Crops and water contamination? All for the sake of 20 years?

What will you tell your grandchildren? That we were more bothered about the here and now or that we thought long term?

Governments are short lived. There are elections every 5 years. This is why they are selling us this short-lived and dangerous energy myth. Long term energy solutions are drastically needed for the sake of the country and the planet.

So come on, Bolton, let's stand up for ourselves here! Don't be fooled by the government and the energy companies.

I'll just say one last thing. Myself and other anti-fracking campaigners have nothing to gain financially from halting fracking. The government and the energy companies have a lot to gain financially from fracking (although iGas shares were DOWN last night! Hurray!)

So who are you going to believe?

Peace x
What we can do: Investment into renewables. Spain and Portugal have managed it. Portugal had 70% of their energy from renewables. Other studies not in US: Well, considering the technique we are looking at doing is comparable to the US, I don't actually see a problem with citing them at all. But if you want something from Canada - here you are: http://commonsenseca nadian.ca/REPORTED_E LSEWHERE-detail/chev ron-offers-pizza-vic tims-fracking-explos ion/ You need any more proof that these companies don't really care about us? There are danger stories coming from SA (e.g. http://www.news24.co m/Columnists/Andreas Spath/SAs-new-fracki ng-regulations-are-f lawed-20131224) and I'm sure many more if you look for them. Studies which suggest this this is safe have been created by THE INDUSTRIES. So come on, wake up! The 'greens' were looked down on in the 70s and 80s when they called for more investment into renewable energy. They were even laughed at by the same types of people who seem to think that fracking is a good idea. And now look at where we've got to! We need an urgent plan to move FORWARDS and not BACKWARDS. By allowing fracking all we are doing is HALTING THE PROCESS OF DELIVERING RENEWABLES. Don't you see this?!?!? Fossil fuels are finite. You want our country potmarked with industrial wells? Crops and water contamination? All for the sake of 20 years? What will you tell your grandchildren? That we were more bothered about the here and now or that we thought long term? Governments are short lived. There are elections every 5 years. This is why they are selling us this short-lived and dangerous energy myth. Long term energy solutions are drastically needed for the sake of the country and the planet. So come on, Bolton, let's stand up for ourselves here! Don't be fooled by the government and the energy companies. I'll just say one last thing. Myself and other anti-fracking campaigners have nothing to gain financially from halting fracking. The government and the energy companies have a lot to gain financially from fracking (although iGas shares were DOWN last night! Hurray!) So who are you going to believe? Peace x lassogaia
  • Score: -2

1:22pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Bob Shaftoe says...

Bob Shaftoe wrote:
C'mon greenies, instead of copy & pasting obscure anti-frack stuff from the USA just answer my question PLEASE.

WHEN OUR GAS RUNS OUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO USE TO HEAT YOUR HOUSE AND GET YOUR HOT WATER.
Lassagola.
You don't appear to be shy..... SO JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION.
Need help? Begins with F........
[quote][p][bold]Bob Shaftoe[/bold] wrote: C'mon greenies, instead of copy & pasting obscure anti-frack stuff from the USA just answer my question PLEASE. WHEN OUR GAS RUNS OUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO USE TO HEAT YOUR HOUSE AND GET YOUR HOT WATER.[/p][/quote]Lassagola. You don't appear to be shy..... SO JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION. Need help? Begins with F........ Bob Shaftoe
  • Score: -2

10:32pm Sat 22 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

lassogaia wrote:
What we can do:
Investment into renewables. Spain and Portugal have managed it. Portugal had 70% of their energy from renewables.

Other studies not in US:
Well, considering the technique we are looking at doing is comparable to the US, I don't actually see a problem with citing them at all. But if you want something from Canada - here you are:
http://commonsenseca

nadian.ca/REPORTED_E

LSEWHERE-detail/chev

ron-offers-pizza-vic

tims-fracking-explos

ion/
You need any more proof that these companies don't really care about us?

There are danger stories coming from SA (e.g. http://www.news24.co

m/Columnists/Andreas

Spath/SAs-new-fracki

ng-regulations-are-f

lawed-20131224) and I'm sure many more if you look for them.

Studies which suggest this this is safe have been created by THE INDUSTRIES. So come on, wake up!

The 'greens' were looked down on in the 70s and 80s when they called for more investment into renewable energy. They were even laughed at by the same types of people who seem to think that fracking is a good idea.

And now look at where we've got to!

We need an urgent plan to move FORWARDS and not BACKWARDS. By allowing fracking all we are doing is HALTING THE PROCESS OF DELIVERING RENEWABLES. Don't you see this?!?!?

Fossil fuels are finite. You want our country potmarked with industrial wells? Crops and water contamination? All for the sake of 20 years?

What will you tell your grandchildren? That we were more bothered about the here and now or that we thought long term?

Governments are short lived. There are elections every 5 years. This is why they are selling us this short-lived and dangerous energy myth. Long term energy solutions are drastically needed for the sake of the country and the planet.

So come on, Bolton, let's stand up for ourselves here! Don't be fooled by the government and the energy companies.

I'll just say one last thing. Myself and other anti-fracking campaigners have nothing to gain financially from halting fracking. The government and the energy companies have a lot to gain financially from fracking (although iGas shares were DOWN last night! Hurray!)

So who are you going to believe?

Peace x
But that is state owned and money from the public purse is a country where people look up to the public system and not question every single penny that is spent in the public system!!!

The UK is not a state owned country and hasn't been for over 40 years! We live in a free market country and the public sector is frowned upon and people insist on what each penny is spent on. therefore any changeover has to come from the private sector and are companies willing to offload billions into a system where they will probably never see a profit? Never mind that what about people changing their energy supply from gas to electricity - who is going to pay for that, the people themselves or will the state be paying for it (considering that state has already lowered grants for people to switch over to solar panelling and want to get to a point they no longer give grants - due to the cost)???

Again it is not simple to switch over and it does cost - not everybody, in fact not 95% of the people involved, would be able to cover the cost from gas supply to electricity supply.

And again, how long will it take for the so-called smooth switch-over to take place? a year, a decade, 20 years, 40 years etc etc etc Take the company I work for, as an example, they took over another company 5 years ago and we currently work on a dual IT system which they want to convert back down to sole IT system and when the takeover first happened they said it would take 2 years- it is now estimated to go fully down to sole IT system in another 10 years time and the costs of doing so have gone up by 7 fold so far!!!! That is just for IT now multiply that for the many systems involved in transferring from fossil to green and now can you say it is that easy to do?
[quote][p][bold]lassogaia[/bold] wrote: What we can do: Investment into renewables. Spain and Portugal have managed it. Portugal had 70% of their energy from renewables. Other studies not in US: Well, considering the technique we are looking at doing is comparable to the US, I don't actually see a problem with citing them at all. But if you want something from Canada - here you are: http://commonsenseca nadian.ca/REPORTED_E LSEWHERE-detail/chev ron-offers-pizza-vic tims-fracking-explos ion/ You need any more proof that these companies don't really care about us? There are danger stories coming from SA (e.g. http://www.news24.co m/Columnists/Andreas Spath/SAs-new-fracki ng-regulations-are-f lawed-20131224) and I'm sure many more if you look for them. Studies which suggest this this is safe have been created by THE INDUSTRIES. So come on, wake up! The 'greens' were looked down on in the 70s and 80s when they called for more investment into renewable energy. They were even laughed at by the same types of people who seem to think that fracking is a good idea. And now look at where we've got to! We need an urgent plan to move FORWARDS and not BACKWARDS. By allowing fracking all we are doing is HALTING THE PROCESS OF DELIVERING RENEWABLES. Don't you see this?!?!? Fossil fuels are finite. You want our country potmarked with industrial wells? Crops and water contamination? All for the sake of 20 years? What will you tell your grandchildren? That we were more bothered about the here and now or that we thought long term? Governments are short lived. There are elections every 5 years. This is why they are selling us this short-lived and dangerous energy myth. Long term energy solutions are drastically needed for the sake of the country and the planet. So come on, Bolton, let's stand up for ourselves here! Don't be fooled by the government and the energy companies. I'll just say one last thing. Myself and other anti-fracking campaigners have nothing to gain financially from halting fracking. The government and the energy companies have a lot to gain financially from fracking (although iGas shares were DOWN last night! Hurray!) So who are you going to believe? Peace x[/p][/quote]But that is state owned and money from the public purse is a country where people look up to the public system and not question every single penny that is spent in the public system!!! The UK is not a state owned country and hasn't been for over 40 years! We live in a free market country and the public sector is frowned upon and people insist on what each penny is spent on. therefore any changeover has to come from the private sector and are companies willing to offload billions into a system where they will probably never see a profit? Never mind that what about people changing their energy supply from gas to electricity - who is going to pay for that, the people themselves or will the state be paying for it (considering that state has already lowered grants for people to switch over to solar panelling and want to get to a point they no longer give grants - due to the cost)??? Again it is not simple to switch over and it does cost - not everybody, in fact not 95% of the people involved, would be able to cover the cost from gas supply to electricity supply. And again, how long will it take for the so-called smooth switch-over to take place? a year, a decade, 20 years, 40 years etc etc etc Take the company I work for, as an example, they took over another company 5 years ago and we currently work on a dual IT system which they want to convert back down to sole IT system and when the takeover first happened they said it would take 2 years- it is now estimated to go fully down to sole IT system in another 10 years time and the costs of doing so have gone up by 7 fold so far!!!! That is just for IT now multiply that for the many systems involved in transferring from fossil to green and now can you say it is that easy to do? BWFC71
  • Score: -66

12:11pm Sun 23 Feb 14

M.I.B. says...

Here's an experts opinion

http://i.imgur.com/E
P3E2sk.jpg
Here's an experts opinion http://i.imgur.com/E P3E2sk.jpg M.I.B.
  • Score: 11

12:11pm Sun 23 Feb 14

M.I.B. says...

Here's an experts opinion

http://i.imgur.com/E
P3E2sk.jpg
Here's an experts opinion http://i.imgur.com/E P3E2sk.jpg M.I.B.
  • Score: 23

9:34pm Sun 23 Feb 14

BWFC71 says...

You can use as many 2experts2 as possible but the fact remains this country is a Free Market economy.

If the Government starts getting involved as to what money should be spent here there or anywhere then it becomes a public body and then you will have the majority of the population moaning and complaining about the money being spent in green fuels!

If we did change over where are YOU and the other "Green" likers going to find the money to help people replace their gas cookers, gas heaters, gas central heating etc etc etc with electricity, as that will NOT be a concern for the Government!!!!
You can use as many 2experts2 as possible but the fact remains this country is a Free Market economy. If the Government starts getting involved as to what money should be spent here there or anywhere then it becomes a public body and then you will have the majority of the population moaning and complaining about the money being spent in green fuels! If we did change over where are YOU and the other "Green" likers going to find the money to help people replace their gas cookers, gas heaters, gas central heating etc etc etc with electricity, as that will NOT be a concern for the Government!!!! BWFC71
  • Score: -56

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree