Probation service out on strike today

The Bolton News: Probation service out on strike today Probation service out on strike today

PROBATION officers are planning to picket courts and offices during a strike over government proposals to privatise most of their work.

Court work is expected to be disrupted and appointments cancelled as the National Association of Probation Officers (NAPO) stage a day and a half long strike starting at midday today.

The service is responsible for supervising offenders who are sentenced to community orders or those released from prison on licence as well as assisting the victims of serious crime.

But the government plans to outsource most of the work done from this June, with low and medium risk offenders to private firms and voluntary groups.

Ian Lawrence, general secretary of NAPO, has described the move as “a recklessly dangerous social experiment”.

But the government says reforms are needed to address reoffending rates and the support available to offenders given short sentences.

Ted Johnston, NAPO’s Manchester branch secretary, said: “The bottom line is we are fighting against the privatisation of 70 per cent of our service, on the grounds that it has been rushed through.

“The proposals have not been tried or tested and that puts the public at risk.”

Bolton probation officers will walk out today at noon before making their way from the probation office to Bolton Magistrates Court for 12.30pm where they will be joined by solicitors campaigning against legal aid cuts.

This will be followed by a Greater Manchester-wide protest in Crown Square in the city centre tomorrow (April 1) at 1pm.

Some disruption is expected to the work of the probation service in Bolton, but not all probation officers are members of the union and so the extent of delays to appointments and court work is not yet known.

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:18am Mon 31 Mar 14

Gore Seer says...

I Would Love To See The Employment Wage Structure With Pension Entitlements, Then We Might Be On There Side And Support Them. But Me Thinks Me See Pig Flying First.
I Would Love To See The Employment Wage Structure With Pension Entitlements, Then We Might Be On There Side And Support Them. But Me Thinks Me See Pig Flying First. Gore Seer
  • Score: 0

5:12pm Mon 31 Mar 14

BWFC71 says...

Funny how probation officers are not moaned about when they go on strike, when their job is more important in keeping the streets safe than either the police or even teachers!!!!
Funny how probation officers are not moaned about when they go on strike, when their job is more important in keeping the streets safe than either the police or even teachers!!!! BWFC71
  • Score: -1

7:09pm Mon 31 Mar 14

Rupert T Bear says...

Gore Seer wrote:
I Would Love To See The Employment Wage Structure With Pension Entitlements, Then We Might Be On There Side And Support Them. But Me Thinks Me See Pig Flying First.
Why do you capitalise the first letter of every word you type?
[quote][p][bold]Gore Seer[/bold] wrote: I Would Love To See The Employment Wage Structure With Pension Entitlements, Then We Might Be On There Side And Support Them. But Me Thinks Me See Pig Flying First.[/p][/quote]Why do you capitalise the first letter of every word you type? Rupert T Bear
  • Score: 2

9:11am Tue 1 Apr 14

Gore Seer says...

Rupert T Bear wrote:
Gore Seer wrote:
I Would Love To See The Employment Wage Structure With Pension Entitlements, Then We Might Be On There Side And Support Them. But Me Thinks Me See Pig Flying First.
Why do you capitalise the first letter of every word you type?
Same Old Tune, You Sing It , IL Hum It.
[quote][p][bold]Rupert T Bear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gore Seer[/bold] wrote: I Would Love To See The Employment Wage Structure With Pension Entitlements, Then We Might Be On There Side And Support Them. But Me Thinks Me See Pig Flying First.[/p][/quote]Why do you capitalise the first letter of every word you type?[/p][/quote]Same Old Tune, You Sing It , IL Hum It. Gore Seer
  • Score: -2

8:25pm Tue 1 Apr 14

Rupert T Bear says...

Gore Seer wrote:
Rupert T Bear wrote:
Gore Seer wrote:
I Would Love To See The Employment Wage Structure With Pension Entitlements, Then We Might Be On There Side And Support Them. But Me Thinks Me See Pig Flying First.
Why do you capitalise the first letter of every word you type?
Same Old Tune, You Sing It , IL Hum It.
..... and I will get someone to translate it for me too.
[quote][p][bold]Gore Seer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rupert T Bear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gore Seer[/bold] wrote: I Would Love To See The Employment Wage Structure With Pension Entitlements, Then We Might Be On There Side And Support Them. But Me Thinks Me See Pig Flying First.[/p][/quote]Why do you capitalise the first letter of every word you type?[/p][/quote]Same Old Tune, You Sing It , IL Hum It.[/p][/quote]..... and I will get someone to translate it for me too. Rupert T Bear
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree