Essa Academy students jet off on trip of a lifetime to Morocco

Essa Academy staff and students went to Marrakesh

Essa Academy staff and students went to Marrakesh

First published in News

ADVENTUROUS pupils from a Bolton academy have been on the trip of a lifetime as they take on the World Challenge Expedition.

Eight students from Essa Academy in Lever Edge Lane flew to Morocco for two weeks.

The children and two members of staff spent a week helping out at a small rural primary school four hours away from Marrakesh.

They are now taking part in a five-day trek through the Atlas Mountains.

Pupils from year eight to year 11 were invited and they raised more than £4,000 to have the opportunity to attend.

Neil Goodall, assistant strand leader, said: “It will boost their self confidence and their leadership, give them more awareness of the wider world and open their minds.

“Seeing a completely different culture will give the students a great appreciation of what they have got here in Bolton.”

Umayr Zahid, the school’s head boy, is among the pupils on the expedition. He said: “I love a challenge. I want to accomplish a lot in life and this is a starting point.”

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:03pm Thu 26 Jun 14

PDY says...

I sincerely hope that these children do not consider a trip to Morocco to be a trip of a lifetime. If they do, the school is instilling a very limited perspective on what they can and should achieve.
I sincerely hope that these children do not consider a trip to Morocco to be a trip of a lifetime. If they do, the school is instilling a very limited perspective on what they can and should achieve. PDY
  • Score: -7

1:41pm Thu 26 Jun 14

wsw69 says...

PDY wrote:
I sincerely hope that these children do not consider a trip to Morocco to be a trip of a lifetime. If they do, the school is instilling a very limited perspective on what they can and should achieve.
What is wrong with a trip to Morocco? Don't be a damp squib
[quote][p][bold]PDY[/bold] wrote: I sincerely hope that these children do not consider a trip to Morocco to be a trip of a lifetime. If they do, the school is instilling a very limited perspective on what they can and should achieve.[/p][/quote]What is wrong with a trip to Morocco? Don't be a damp squib wsw69
  • Score: 7

4:54pm Thu 26 Jun 14

PDY says...

wsw69 wrote:
PDY wrote:
I sincerely hope that these children do not consider a trip to Morocco to be a trip of a lifetime. If they do, the school is instilling a very limited perspective on what they can and should achieve.
What is wrong with a trip to Morocco? Don't be a damp squib
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a trip to Morocco, just don't describe it as a trip of a lifetime. Surely the kids wouldn't see this trip as the limit of their experience. What about Asia, Australia or the US. For god's sake Morocco is a short haul holiday destination not a trip of a lifetime!!!!! Give the kids something to aim for.
[quote][p][bold]wsw69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PDY[/bold] wrote: I sincerely hope that these children do not consider a trip to Morocco to be a trip of a lifetime. If they do, the school is instilling a very limited perspective on what they can and should achieve.[/p][/quote]What is wrong with a trip to Morocco? Don't be a damp squib[/p][/quote]There is absolutely nothing wrong with a trip to Morocco, just don't describe it as a trip of a lifetime. Surely the kids wouldn't see this trip as the limit of their experience. What about Asia, Australia or the US. For god's sake Morocco is a short haul holiday destination not a trip of a lifetime!!!!! Give the kids something to aim for. PDY
  • Score: -3

9:27pm Thu 26 Jun 14

Westhoughton mum says...

PDY wrote:
wsw69 wrote:
PDY wrote:
I sincerely hope that these children do not consider a trip to Morocco to be a trip of a lifetime. If they do, the school is instilling a very limited perspective on what they can and should achieve.
What is wrong with a trip to Morocco? Don't be a damp squib
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a trip to Morocco, just don't describe it as a trip of a lifetime. Surely the kids wouldn't see this trip as the limit of their experience. What about Asia, Australia or the US. For god's sake Morocco is a short haul holiday destination not a trip of a lifetime!!!!! Give the kids something to aim for.
Unfortunately a lot of children from this area do not get the opportunity to leave Bolton never mind go to somewhere like Morroco. For them it would be the trip of a lifetime. Not everyone is fortunate enough to go to a short haul holiday destination.
[quote][p][bold]PDY[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wsw69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PDY[/bold] wrote: I sincerely hope that these children do not consider a trip to Morocco to be a trip of a lifetime. If they do, the school is instilling a very limited perspective on what they can and should achieve.[/p][/quote]What is wrong with a trip to Morocco? Don't be a damp squib[/p][/quote]There is absolutely nothing wrong with a trip to Morocco, just don't describe it as a trip of a lifetime. Surely the kids wouldn't see this trip as the limit of their experience. What about Asia, Australia or the US. For god's sake Morocco is a short haul holiday destination not a trip of a lifetime!!!!! Give the kids something to aim for.[/p][/quote]Unfortunately a lot of children from this area do not get the opportunity to leave Bolton never mind go to somewhere like Morroco. For them it would be the trip of a lifetime. Not everyone is fortunate enough to go to a short haul holiday destination. Westhoughton mum
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree