A MAN has been taken to hospital with burns after his car caught fire in the car park of a town centre supermarket.
The 65-year-old's blue Rover 75 car caught fire in Sainsbury's car park.
He managed to escape before it went up in flames - but did suffer some burns on his arms as well as inhaling smoke.
He was driving and had seen smoke coming from the passenger area.
Firefighters were called to the scene at 12.10pm and took just ten minutes to extinguish the fire.
It is thought that the fire started in the passenger foot well area of the car.
Witnesses said the man did not look badly injured after the incident, but looked like he was in shock and was unsteady on his feet.
The fire service confirmed that the man was smoking while inside the car but could not confirm whether this was the cause of the blaze.
Firefighter Marc Murphy said: "This was an accident and not a deliberate ignition.
"The fire definitely started inside the passenger compartment rather than in the engine area.
"The driver was smoking at the time of the fire but we don't know if this is linked to the cause of the fire."
The man was taken to the Royal Bolton Hospital but his injuries are not thought to be serious.