Westhoughton surrogate twins couple home at last after India passport nightmare

Westhoughton surrogate twins couple home at last after India passport nightmare

Bina and Kiran Salvi with their babies Leela and Jai

Babies Leela and Jai

Bina and Kiran Salvi with their babies Leela and Jai

Bina and Kiran Salvi with their babies Leela and Jai

Bina and Kiran Salvi with their babies Leela and Jai

First published in News The Bolton News: Photograph of the Author by , reporter

A WESTHOUGHTON couple who travelled to India to meet their newborn surrogate children for the first time have returned home — five months after the twins were born.

Kiran and Bina Salvi said they were made to feel like criminals by the UK passport authority because of long delays processing their applications and a “farcical” lack of communication about their progress.

The situation arose during large-scale processing problems at the UK passport office this summer.

The couple, who arrived home with babies Jai and Leela at the end of July, were forced to live in a hotel room in the Indian region of Anand for months and missed their flights home while waiting for the children’s passports to arrive.

Mr and Mrs Salvi have been trying to have children for the past 12 years and chose to use a surrogacy clinic in India after exhausting all other options.

The Salvis believe they have had to pay about £3,000 in extra costs for new flights, accommodation and phone calls during their extended stay in India.

New dad Mr Salvi, aged 44, said: “We are just so glad to be back. It has made such a difference for us to be here with the babies compared to being stuck in a hot room for all that time.”

The first passport applications were sent on April 14 and were initially returned as more information was required.

After a delay the couple were told they had been processed, paid for and sent to Liverpool by June 6, but then said they heard nothing.

After growing more frustrated by a lack of contact, Mr Salvi decided to involve his local MP, Julie Hilling, who brought the issue up in the House of Commons.

Mr Salvi said: “We were over the moon when Julie got involved — Bina was in tears because it felt great that someone was finally taking us seriously.

“We felt like we had been treated like criminals, because they weren’t communicating with us — it was like they were assuming we were doing something fraudulent, it was farcical.”

In mid-June Mr Salvi said he was contacted by the Passport Office which said it had been trying to contact him by email since May.

A spokesman for HM Passport Office said: “We contacted Mr and Mrs Salvi by email and telephone on a number of occasions to obtain further information to assist their application and did not receive a satisfactory response for several weeks.”

Mr Salvi said: “I never got any email from them and my address was clearly stated all over the application.”

Mr Salvi said it was another six weeks before the passports arrived and the Salvis could board a new flight with their babies.

He said: “That moment, when we got through passport control and sat on the plane was when we felt like the weight lifted — there were definitely tears.The babies are doing really well, Leela is surprisingly independent whereas Jai is a bit of a mummy’s boy.”

After returning home, Mr Salvi, an IT specialist and accountant Mrs Salvi, aged 39, were able to thank the friends, family and neighbours who supported them while they were in India as well as Ms Hilling and her team.

He said: “Everyone was fantastic, but we especially need to thank Julie and her team because without them, I believe we would still be stuck in India.”

Ms Hilling said she cannot wait to meet the babies, adding: “It’s wonderful news that the Salvis are back home where they belong.

“It’s so sad that they were caught up in the dreadful chaos created at the Passport Service and I will be continuing to press the government to sort out the problems.”

A Passport Office spokesman said the new passports were delivered within 11 weeks of the passport office receiving the applications in the UK, which she said was, “well within the 16-week guidelines for a first time child application from India”.

The statement added: “The welfare of children is paramount in surrogacy cases and a lot of checks have to be completed before passports can be issued.”

Mr Salvi said that when the couple made their plans the guidelines had stated the passports would take eight weeks, but that they changed while they were away.

He said: “If that is now the process then fair enough — I just don’t understand why they couldn’t communicate that with us. That is what we found disgraceful.”

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:12pm Mon 18 Aug 14

mrs philainsy says...

After a delay the couple were told they had been processed, paid for and sent to Liverpool by June 6, but then said they heard nothing.





Just like thousands of other people then?
Passport Applications are a Nightmare at the best of Times, everyones in the same boat, in my opinion.
After a delay the couple were told they had been processed, paid for and sent to Liverpool by June 6, but then said they heard nothing. Just like thousands of other people then? Passport Applications are a Nightmare at the best of Times, everyones in the same boat, in my opinion. mrs philainsy
  • Score: -13

8:48pm Mon 18 Aug 14

dr logic says...

No idea what your point is mrs philainsy.
No idea what your point is mrs philainsy. dr logic
  • Score: 9

8:49pm Mon 18 Aug 14

underwater says...

Would have been much easier and cheaper to adopt a couple of unwanted children in Bolton instead of bringing more into our overcrowded country.
Would have been much easier and cheaper to adopt a couple of unwanted children in Bolton instead of bringing more into our overcrowded country. underwater
  • Score: -15

9:56pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Citizen Cane says...

Why did Julie Hilling get involved if the passport was processed WITHIN guideline times? I understand that Miss Hilling is not always so attentive to constituent concerns.
Why did Julie Hilling get involved if the passport was processed WITHIN guideline times? I understand that Miss Hilling is not always so attentive to constituent concerns. Citizen Cane
  • Score: -20

9:57pm Mon 18 Aug 14

unknown1991 says...

Underwater!!! Maybe they didn't want to adopt a child from here!! Since when has this country been YOURS??? As you stated OUR OVERCROWDED COUNTRY!!!
Underwater!!! Maybe they didn't want to adopt a child from here!! Since when has this country been YOURS??? As you stated OUR OVERCROWDED COUNTRY!!! unknown1991
  • Score: 18

10:43pm Mon 18 Aug 14

dr logic says...

@underwater
If you had read the report you would read that this couple had exhausted all their options for having a family here in the uk. Maybe they didn't want to sit in a long waiting list and go through the very intrusive adoption checks that are now mandatory. Sounds like a last throw of the dice to me!
The actual point being made here is the disgusting way they have been treated by the passport office.
@underwater If you had read the report you would read that this couple had exhausted all their options for having a family here in the uk. Maybe they didn't want to sit in a long waiting list and go through the very intrusive adoption checks that are now mandatory. Sounds like a last throw of the dice to me! The actual point being made here is the disgusting way they have been treated by the passport office. dr logic
  • Score: 14

10:11am Tue 19 Aug 14

IVFDad says...

Good for the Salvis for sticking it out. They and rather their IVF children have won because they stayed united and together. If an IVF child is born while going through a divorce, what are the rights of that IVF child? Do they deserve to be abandoned? Does the innocent IVF child have any rights? Support #IVF rights. Sign up for change at http://chn.ge/1oltFl
5
Good for the Salvis for sticking it out. They and rather their IVF children have won because they stayed united and together. If an IVF child is born while going through a divorce, what are the rights of that IVF child? Do they deserve to be abandoned? Does the innocent IVF child have any rights? Support #IVF rights. Sign up for change at http://chn.ge/1oltFl 5 IVFDad
  • Score: 18

12:13pm Tue 19 Aug 14

dr logic says...

Must also say congratulations to the salvis, you are truly blessed with two gorgeous babies.. You epitomise true British spirit by fighting for what is right!
Must also say congratulations to the salvis, you are truly blessed with two gorgeous babies.. You epitomise true British spirit by fighting for what is right! dr logic
  • Score: 11

3:14pm Tue 19 Aug 14

mrs philainsy says...

dr logic wrote:
No idea what your point is mrs philainsy.
So What?
Read my comments and work it out Doc.
[quote][p][bold]dr logic[/bold] wrote: No idea what your point is mrs philainsy.[/p][/quote]So What? Read my comments and work it out Doc. mrs philainsy
  • Score: -7

3:23pm Tue 19 Aug 14

mrs philainsy says...

dr logic wrote:
@underwater
If you had read the report you would read that this couple had exhausted all their options for having a family here in the uk. Maybe they didn't want to sit in a long waiting list and go through the very intrusive adoption checks that are now mandatory. Sounds like a last throw of the dice to me!
The actual point being made here is the disgusting way they have been treated by the passport office.
The Passport Office treat EVERYONE like that, they have not decided to Harass this particular Family, for the Fun of it.
THATS MY POINT!!!!

Striaghtforward Passport Applications have delays, to the point where you dont know what the Heck is going on, and get frustrated.

This particular case was sure to have problems.
If a Passport cant get from Liverpool to Bolton in a decent length of time, theres no hope for a more serious case.

In any case - I dont believe you are a real Doctor.
[quote][p][bold]dr logic[/bold] wrote: @underwater If you had read the report you would read that this couple had exhausted all their options for having a family here in the uk. Maybe they didn't want to sit in a long waiting list and go through the very intrusive adoption checks that are now mandatory. Sounds like a last throw of the dice to me! The actual point being made here is the disgusting way they have been treated by the passport office.[/p][/quote]The Passport Office treat EVERYONE like that, they have not decided to Harass this particular Family, for the Fun of it. THATS MY POINT!!!! Striaghtforward Passport Applications have delays, to the point where you dont know what the Heck is going on, and get frustrated. This particular case was sure to have problems. If a Passport cant get from Liverpool to Bolton in a decent length of time, theres no hope for a more serious case. In any case - I dont believe you are a real Doctor. mrs philainsy
  • Score: -10

7:23pm Tue 19 Aug 14

dr logic says...

Well thats the whole point of the article. Something has to be done to clean up the passport application process. It is not acceptable for anybody to be treated this way by any department of the government.
Also if you read the article you will see that it is not stating that this couple were being harassed by the passport office for the fun of it, it is stating there is a severe lack of communication.

Dr Logic.
Well thats the whole point of the article. Something has to be done to clean up the passport application process. It is not acceptable for anybody to be treated this way by any department of the government. Also if you read the article you will see that it is not stating that this couple were being harassed by the passport office for the fun of it, it is stating there is a severe lack of communication. Dr Logic. dr logic
  • Score: 7

12:01pm Wed 20 Aug 14

mrs philainsy says...

dr logic wrote:
Well thats the whole point of the article. Something has to be done to clean up the passport application process. It is not acceptable for anybody to be treated this way by any department of the government.
Also if you read the article you will see that it is not stating that this couple were being harassed by the passport office for the fun of it, it is stating there is a severe lack of communication.

Dr Logic.
Yawn.

Got a quick cure for Boredom Doc?
[quote][p][bold]dr logic[/bold] wrote: Well thats the whole point of the article. Something has to be done to clean up the passport application process. It is not acceptable for anybody to be treated this way by any department of the government. Also if you read the article you will see that it is not stating that this couple were being harassed by the passport office for the fun of it, it is stating there is a severe lack of communication. Dr Logic.[/p][/quote]Yawn. Got a quick cure for Boredom Doc? mrs philainsy
  • Score: -8

6:29pm Thu 21 Aug 14

dr logic says...

Mrs philainsy , your last question hat not got anything to do with the topic of this report.
Mrs philainsy , your last question hat not got anything to do with the topic of this report. dr logic
  • Score: 5

1:33pm Fri 22 Aug 14

mrs philainsy says...

Dr Logic.

Go polish your Stethescope.
Dr Logic. Go polish your Stethescope. mrs philainsy
  • Score: -4

12:27am Sat 23 Aug 14

dr logic says...

No.
No. dr logic
  • Score: 5

10:19am Sat 23 Aug 14

mrs philainsy says...

dr logic wrote:
No.
Hey Doc, I have this nagging pain in my Lower Lumbar Region.......YOU!!!
[quote][p][bold]dr logic[/bold] wrote: No.[/p][/quote]Hey Doc, I have this nagging pain in my Lower Lumbar Region.......YOU!!! mrs philainsy
  • Score: -6

11:37pm Sun 24 Aug 14

dr logic says...

Really. That is a shame. No cure for that. You will just have to suffer.
Really. That is a shame. No cure for that. You will just have to suffer. dr logic
  • Score: 7

11:06am Mon 25 Aug 14

mrs philainsy says...

dr logic wrote:
Really. That is a shame. No cure for that. You will just have to suffer.
1st.....why do you have a username like a dishwasher tablet?

and

2nd....how many accounts do you have on here?


hmmmmmmmmmm
The Plot Thickens.
[quote][p][bold]dr logic[/bold] wrote: Really. That is a shame. No cure for that. You will just have to suffer.[/p][/quote]1st.....why do you have a username like a dishwasher tablet? and 2nd....how many accounts do you have on here? hmmmmmmmmmm The Plot Thickens. mrs philainsy
  • Score: -6

4:01am Wed 27 Aug 14

dr logic says...

My dear old mrs philainsy, you really do have problems don't you. I suggest you seek out medical advice and support as soon as possible. There are trained professionals out there who can help you.
My dear old mrs philainsy, you really do have problems don't you. I suggest you seek out medical advice and support as soon as possible. There are trained professionals out there who can help you. dr logic
  • Score: 7

5:51pm Wed 27 Aug 14

mrs philainsy says...

dr logic wrote:
My dear old mrs philainsy, you really do have problems don't you. I suggest you seek out medical advice and support as soon as possible. There are trained professionals out there who can help you.
Dear Old Doc Logic.

I AM the Medical Professional you speak of, I am highly trained, and just waiting for YOU to be wheeled in, for my advice and help.

Your comments bore me.
If you could BOTTLE your personality, you could sell it as a Sleeping Potion, you are soooo tiresome, boring and tedious.


Are you familiar with the phrase - Do One You Whopper?

Ta.
[quote][p][bold]dr logic[/bold] wrote: My dear old mrs philainsy, you really do have problems don't you. I suggest you seek out medical advice and support as soon as possible. There are trained professionals out there who can help you.[/p][/quote]Dear Old Doc Logic. I AM the Medical Professional you speak of, I am highly trained, and just waiting for YOU to be wheeled in, for my advice and help. Your comments bore me. If you could BOTTLE your personality, you could sell it as a Sleeping Potion, you are soooo tiresome, boring and tedious. Are you familiar with the phrase - Do One You Whopper? Ta. mrs philainsy
  • Score: -6

8:18pm Wed 27 Aug 14

dr logic says...

Very eloquent speech from such a classy lady.
Bravo madam bravo. Your insight and wisdom have certainly opened my eyes. God bless you old dear.
Very eloquent speech from such a classy lady. Bravo madam bravo. Your insight and wisdom have certainly opened my eyes. God bless you old dear. dr logic
  • Score: 6

9:06pm Thu 28 Aug 14

mrs philainsy says...

dr logic says...

Very eloquent speech from such a classy lady.
Bravo madam bravo. Your insight and wisdom have certainly opened my eyes. God bless you my dear.
I wish my wife was more like you, but she thinks she's "class" if she gets out of the bath to go to the Toilet.
I am a 79 yr old man, and in all my years, I have never admired someone as much as you.
Thanks. x







Stop kissing up to me Logic you Quilt, i'm not interested in your mad rantings or praise.
I know i'm Fabulous, and I pity your Wife, you old ****.
dr logic says... Very eloquent speech from such a classy lady. Bravo madam bravo. Your insight and wisdom have certainly opened my eyes. God bless you my dear. I wish my wife was more like you, but she thinks she's "class" if she gets out of the bath to go to the Toilet. I am a 79 yr old man, and in all my years, I have never admired someone as much as you. Thanks. x Stop kissing up to me Logic you Quilt, i'm not interested in your mad rantings or praise. I know i'm Fabulous, and I pity your Wife, you old ****. mrs philainsy
  • Score: -2

9:13pm Thu 28 Aug 14

mrs philainsy says...

mrs philainsy wrote:
dr logic wrote:
Really. That is a shame. No cure for that. You will just have to suffer.
1st.....why do you have a username like a dishwasher tablet?

and

2nd....how many accounts do you have on here?


hmmmmmmmmmm
The Plot Thickens.
dr logic says...


I have several accounts on here, how do you think I keep Giving myself the Thumbs Up, and You the Thumbs Down?


mrs philainsy wrote:

Thought so Doc Logic.
Thats why i'm going to leave you to carry on stalking, and disassociate myself from you.




dr logic says...

I am jealous of you, please dont leave me now.
I have no friends and no-one speaks to me...... please.....i'll behave and stop talking crap.


mrs philainsy wrote:

Nope. your mad as a mop head.
Goodbye forever!!!
[quote][p][bold]mrs philainsy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dr logic[/bold] wrote: Really. That is a shame. No cure for that. You will just have to suffer.[/p][/quote]1st.....why do you have a username like a dishwasher tablet? and 2nd....how many accounts do you have on here? hmmmmmmmmmm The Plot Thickens.[/p][/quote]dr logic says... I have several accounts on here, how do you think I keep Giving myself the Thumbs Up, and You the Thumbs Down? mrs philainsy wrote: Thought so Doc Logic. Thats why i'm going to leave you to carry on stalking, and disassociate myself from you. dr logic says... I am jealous of you, please dont leave me now. I have no friends and no-one speaks to me...... please.....i'll behave and stop talking crap. mrs philainsy wrote: Nope. your mad as a mop head. Goodbye forever!!! mrs philainsy
  • Score: -2

9:03pm Sat 30 Aug 14

dr logic says...

Lol.
Lol. dr logic
  • Score: 3

11:24am Sun 31 Aug 14

mrs philainsy says...

I'm actually finding you quite creepy now.
You have several accounts on here, and you are on here 24/7.


No One else is following this story now, and you have Thumbs Upped yourself, and Thumbs Downed my comments - SEVERAL times.

If you live alone or with your cats in a little council bedsit, there is help available you know.

Over 60's Clubs. Bingo and The Cafe on Bolton Bus Station with all the weirdo's in it, would be suitable for you to spend the day there.

Please dont be friendless (I dont want to be your mate like) - but some other silly billy might!!!

LOL.
I'm actually finding you quite creepy now. You have several accounts on here, and you are on here 24/7. No One else is following this story now, and you have Thumbs Upped yourself, and Thumbs Downed my comments - SEVERAL times. If you live alone or with your cats in a little council bedsit, there is help available you know. Over 60's Clubs. Bingo and The Cafe on Bolton Bus Station with all the weirdo's in it, would be suitable for you to spend the day there. Please dont be friendless (I dont want to be your mate like) - but some other silly billy might!!! LOL. mrs philainsy
  • Score: 0

12:19am Mon 1 Sep 14

dr logic says...

ROFL
ROFL dr logic
  • Score: 0

12:50pm Mon 1 Sep 14

mrs philainsy says...

dr logic wrote:
ROFL
Who?
[quote][p][bold]dr logic[/bold] wrote: ROFL[/p][/quote]Who? mrs philainsy
  • Score: 0

11:32pm Mon 1 Sep 14

dr logic says...

PMSL
PMSL dr logic
  • Score: -2

11:09am Tue 2 Sep 14

mrs philainsy says...

dr logic wrote:
PMSL
Just Pi$$ed yourself I'd say.

I bet your the Guy who smells on the Bus - who no-one wants to sit near.


Looooooooool.
[quote][p][bold]dr logic[/bold] wrote: PMSL[/p][/quote]Just Pi$$ed yourself I'd say. I bet your the Guy who smells on the Bus - who no-one wants to sit near. Looooooooool. mrs philainsy
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree