CRAIG Davies and David Ngog came off the bench to rescue a priceless derby victory for Wanderers at the Reebok.

The jitters had set in when David Edgar handed Burnley a 1-0 lead 10 minutes after half time with a close range header.

And Wanderers fans let their feelings known when Dougie Freedman opted to take off attackers Marvin Sordell and Steve de Ridder.

For that reason, the manager may be forgiven for casting a knowing smile towards his bench when Davies had equalised with a subtle diving header just eight minutes later.

Ngog's clever finish was just reward for some excellent second-half pressure and, Freedman might argue, for several recent performances in which the result has not arrived.

The game had been a relative no event until the half-hour mark when debutant Craig Dawson sent a free header wide of the target from Jay Spearing's corner.

The on-loan defender proved a scourge at set pieces, and had another header blocked at Lee Grant's near post moments later.

Burnley looked competent on the counter but only really opened Wanderers up once in the first 45 minutes when Dean Marney and Ross Wallace combined cleverly in the penalty area to drive a low cross towards Charlie Austin, cleared magnificently by Darren Pratley.

And although the Whites finished the half strongly, with Chris Eagles and Pratley sending shots wide of goal, the game remained finely balanced heading into the break.

Burnley drew first blood from a hotly-disputed corner, which after being swung in at the second attempt was headed back across goal by Marney to an unmarked David Edgar to finish from close range.

The mood soured instantly around the Reebok and when Freedman called for reinforcements from the bench in Craig Davies and David Ngog, the crowd jeered when it was announced that Steve de Ridder and Marvin Sordell would be making way.

Just 11 minutes later, the negativity washed away completely. And wouldn't you know it would be one of the substitutes who made the difference.

Chung-Yong Lee supplied a perfect cross from the left, and Craig Davies produced a superb deft header to send the ball past Grant for his first Wanderers goal.

From there on in, it was all Wanderers. Craig Davies had one effort well saved from Grant before Chung-Yong and Marcos Alonso had shots scrambled off the line.

Alonso then struck the foot of the post with a swinging free-kick – but Burnley's resolve was finally shattered with 10 minutes remaining as Jay Spearing's shot was pounced upon by Ngog, and arrowed first time into the bottom corner.

Burnley rallied late on and Junior Stanislas curled a shot inches wide in the dying moments.

But Wanderers were left holding on to three points that lifts them into 17th, four points away from the drop zone and – whisper it quietly – 10 from the play-offs.