AMIR Khan has missed out on a multi-million pound super fight with Floyd Mayweather.
After months of speculation linking Bolton star Khan and the world's number one pound-for-pound figher Mayweather, it has been announced the American will face Marcos Maidana instead.
The news comes a huge blow to former world champion Khan, for whom the clash would have been the biggest and by far most lucrative of his career.
But it will not come as a surprise after he last week tweeted his disappointment at not having heard from the Mayweather camp, admitting he believed the fight would not happen.
Instead, WBC champion Mayweather will meet Maidana, whom Khan beat in 2010, in a welterweight unification contest on May 3.
Khan, aged 27, signed a contract in December that put him in line for a possible super-fight with Mayweather this year but admitted last week on Twitter he did not think the fight would take place.
And now promoters Golden Boy and Mayweather Promotions have confirmed that the 37-year-old will face Argentinian WBA champion Maidana instead.
"After weeks of speculation, including feedback from fans across an array of social media platforms, boxing's pound-for-pound superstar, pay-per-view king and WBC Welterweight World Champion Floyd "Money" Mayweather will face the dangerous, power-punching WBA Welterweight World Champion Marcos "El Chino" Maidana on Saturday, May 3," read a statement.
Undefeated Mayweather (45-0) launched a social media campaign earlier this month asking fans to decide which of the two men he should take on in his next bout.
"Marcos Maidana's last performance immediately brought him to my attention," said Mayweather.
"He is an extremely skilled fighter who brings knockout danger to the ring.
"I think this is a great fight for me and he deserves the opportunity to see if he can do what 45 others have tried to do before him - beat me."
Maidana, who has won 35 fights and lost three, claimed the WBA belt in December with an impressive win over the previously unbeaten Adrien Broner and is confident he can dismantle another perfect record against Mayweather.
"I am extremely happy to be facing Floyd Mayweather because it will give me the opportunity to show the world that I am the best welterweight in the division," he said.
"I just handed a great defensive fighter his first loss and I plan to do the same to Mayweather. I don't care whether he's the best and undefeated."
Missing out on the Mayweather fight will come as a blow to Khan who had been holding out for a lucrative clash with the pound-for-pound number one since suffering a scare in his last fight against Julio Diaz in Sheffield last April.
The Bolton fighter had been in line to face Devon Alexander for the IBF title on December 7 but suggested on Twitter on Friday that he had delayed that for the chance to take on the Michigan man.
"No response from Mayweather or his team. Fights not happening. I should of taken the title fight last December against Alexander," he said.
"Very disrespected by his team. Wasted my time.
"Good luck to Maidana, against mayweather."