TIM Ream cannot believe the run of misfortune experienced by fellow American Stuart Holden but says his team-mate will not back down from the fight to save his playing career.
Wanderers have confirmed that Holden faces between six and nine months on the sidelines after damaging his cruciate ligament less than a quarter of the way through his comeback game for the development squad last week.
He has since undergone surgery in the US but appears convinced that he can make a complete recovery, with the backing of the club.
Ream is sympathetic to the midfielder’s battle to overcome injuries, which now stretches back three years.
But he refuses to write Holden off completely and passed on the best wishes of the whole Wanderers dressing room in an interview with the Bolton News on Tuesday night.
“Stu is great to have around, no matter whether he’s injured, playing or in-between,” he said.
“It’s tough to see him go down again, especially in the way he did.
“But knowing him, he’ll probably be running again next week.
“He’s got that kind of mindset and mentality. “All the guys miss him and I’ve been asked loads of questions, people have been texting him, everyone still needs to get their ‘Stu fix’ because his personality keeps people happy.”
Holden announced his engagement to girlfriend Karalyn West on Tuesday night – suggesting his life off the pitch is faring much better than it has on it.
And Ream admits it is high time the 28-year-old caught a break.
“You cannot go through that many years with this much bad luck,” he said.
“I feel really bad for him, especially because they have been major injuries.
“You can’t say he’ll be better for it – but he’ll keep going until it’s physically impossible to go again.”