Bolton Wanderers boss Dougie Freedman backs cup hero Beckford

Jermaine Beckford

Jermaine Beckford

First published in Sport The Bolton News: Photograph of the Author by , chief football writer

DOUGIE Freedman leapt to the defence of cup saviour Jermaine Beckford, insisting he doesn’t deserve the stick he gets from some Wanderers fans.

After watching the former Leicester City and Everton striker produce two superb finishes to put an end to plucky Crewe’s resistance in the Captial One Cup in midweek, the Whites boss admits he is mystified by the stick his star striker has received.

Beckford, pictured, topped the club’s goal charts with nine last season but has found himself on the bench in each of the first four Championship games as Craig Davies and Joe Mason edged ahead of him in the pecking order.

Freedman – who signed the 30-year-old last summer – says Beckford has a “big part to play” as Wanderers head to his former club Leeds United this weekend looking to kick-start their own season.

But the Scot is puzzled that fans have not taken to Beckford as readily as he would have hoped in his 12 months at the club.

“It sometimes really baffles me when you get certain sections of the crowd doubting Jermaine’s ability,” he said. “He’s an out and out goal-scorer.

“Jermaine has got 90 minutes to score a goal. He has got a manager who believes in him – he has his right moments and his right games and he spreads that infectious attitude around the place that keeps everyone going.”

After going behind early on at Crewe, Darren Pratley got his side back into the game with his first goal for the Whites in more than 12 months.

Beckford thought he had won the tie with a goal three minutes into stoppage time only for Alex substitute Marcus Haber to head home an equaliser right at the death.

Extra time saw Beckford seal a place in the third round with an excellent finish from Chung-Yong Lee’s intelligent pass, leaving Freedman pleased to have avoided a proverbial banana skin.

“It was a very difficult start for us in the first 15-20 minutes,” he said. “But I felt through the energy, the commitment and the attitude we showed, we got our way back into it.

“We made sure in the second half that we were well on top and created a couple of good chances.

“Going into extra time I thought the game was definitely in our control.”

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:33am Thu 28 Aug 14

leyland white says...

Well Dougie as a football manager your comments astound me. Where Shall I begin.
Is it because he is lazy and petulant.
Is it because he is easily knocked off the ball and bleets to the referee
or is it because he cannot hit a barndoor form 10 yards out and wastes the few chances your team selection and system actually creates. I can see it why cant you?.
Take a walk outside the Macron and look at the statue Dougie, That is a striker.
Well Dougie as a football manager your comments astound me. Where Shall I begin. Is it because he is lazy and petulant. Is it because he is easily knocked off the ball and bleets to the referee or is it because he cannot hit a barndoor form 10 yards out and wastes the few chances your team selection and system actually creates. I can see it why cant you?. Take a walk outside the Macron and look at the statue Dougie, That is a striker. leyland white
  • Score: 78

11:26am Thu 28 Aug 14

kieth57 says...

Is that why he has not been picked for the first four games?. Give your head a wobble Mr freedman and please leave the club and Take Lenny (I don't do anything) Lawrence with you
Is that why he has not been picked for the first four games?. Give your head a wobble Mr freedman and please leave the club and Take Lenny (I don't do anything) Lawrence with you kieth57
  • Score: 54

12:15pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Leemac12 says...

leyland white wrote:
Well Dougie as a football manager your comments astound me. Where Shall I begin.
Is it because he is lazy and petulant.
Is it because he is easily knocked off the ball and bleets to the referee
or is it because he cannot hit a barndoor form 10 yards out and wastes the few chances your team selection and system actually creates. I can see it why cant you?.
Take a walk outside the Macron and look at the statue Dougie, That is a striker.
I couldn't agree more with this post.

Nothing to add.
[quote][p][bold]leyland white[/bold] wrote: Well Dougie as a football manager your comments astound me. Where Shall I begin. Is it because he is lazy and petulant. Is it because he is easily knocked off the ball and bleets to the referee or is it because he cannot hit a barndoor form 10 yards out and wastes the few chances your team selection and system actually creates. I can see it why cant you?. Take a walk outside the Macron and look at the statue Dougie, That is a striker.[/p][/quote]I couldn't agree more with this post. Nothing to add. Leemac12
  • Score: 43

1:21pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Paul Hindley says...

Freedman you talk total bullsh*t.

Stop insulting our intelligence and resign !
Freedman you talk total bullsh*t. Stop insulting our intelligence and resign ! Paul Hindley
  • Score: 44

1:49pm Thu 28 Aug 14

David_J says...

I personally hope Beckford starts against Leeds. He needs encouragement after scoring two goals midweek - not discouragement like most of the fans on the terraces give. The fans need to back the team and manager otherwise it is the fans who are bringing the club down. Support your club properly for a change instead of whingeing and understand that we are a championship club with no money and no one else could do any better!
I personally hope Beckford starts against Leeds. He needs encouragement after scoring two goals midweek - not discouragement like most of the fans on the terraces give. The fans need to back the team and manager otherwise it is the fans who are bringing the club down. Support your club properly for a change instead of whingeing and understand that we are a championship club with no money and no one else could do any better! David_J
  • Score: -31

2:29pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Say It As You See It says...

Lets be serious, the only reason he was signed was to do a mate a favour, because nobody else wanted him. Out and out goalscorer. Yeah every team in this league is sceaming out for a prolific striker that scores 9 goals a season, and such an assassin in the box that since 2010 when he left Leeds he has a goal to game ratio of 1 in 4. Dougie please take the rose tinted glasses of and stop talking, its embarrassing
Lets be serious, the only reason he was signed was to do a mate a favour, because nobody else wanted him. Out and out goalscorer. Yeah every team in this league is sceaming out for a prolific striker that scores 9 goals a season, and such an assassin in the box that since 2010 when he left Leeds he has a goal to game ratio of 1 in 4. Dougie please take the rose tinted glasses of and stop talking, its embarrassing Say It As You See It
  • Score: 38

2:48pm Thu 28 Aug 14

cliff4treasurer says...

Sad but most of these comments are true.
He may have scored 2 goals but if Pratley hadn't equalised I doubt the game would have swung our way and Beckford would probably not have scored any.
How many times has he missed an open net or hit the side netting when he should have scored?
No doubt he is an enigma as sometimes he scores superb goals but we need consistency not the odd 2 goals against lowly opposition in a cup game.
I back Dougie and sometimes he has to say what he is told to say perhaps?
Sad but most of these comments are true. He may have scored 2 goals but if Pratley hadn't equalised I doubt the game would have swung our way and Beckford would probably not have scored any. How many times has he missed an open net or hit the side netting when he should have scored? No doubt he is an enigma as sometimes he scores superb goals but we need consistency not the odd 2 goals against lowly opposition in a cup game. I back Dougie and sometimes he has to say what he is told to say perhaps? cliff4treasurer
  • Score: 5

5:48pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Ernagy2 says...

David_J wrote:
I personally hope Beckford starts against Leeds. He needs encouragement after scoring two goals midweek - not discouragement like most of the fans on the terraces give. The fans need to back the team and manager otherwise it is the fans who are bringing the club down. Support your club properly for a change instead of whingeing and understand that we are a championship club with no money and no one else could do any better!
I agree with most of your comment David. He's our best chance of scoring goals, he maybe not the most prolific, but he does have a good scoring record. Who do people think we should have gone for if not Beckford? That's what you get for a £1 million these days.

At least he's there to miss the chances, many aren't. He reminds me so much of Neil Whatmore who use to miss under the cross bar.

The only where you and I disagree David, is I do think some other manager could do better and for less money than Dougie is on. There are a number of managers out there who want to repair their careers, I'm sure one of them would probably do a better job.
[quote][p][bold]David_J[/bold] wrote: I personally hope Beckford starts against Leeds. He needs encouragement after scoring two goals midweek - not discouragement like most of the fans on the terraces give. The fans need to back the team and manager otherwise it is the fans who are bringing the club down. Support your club properly for a change instead of whingeing and understand that we are a championship club with no money and no one else could do any better![/p][/quote]I agree with most of your comment David. He's our best chance of scoring goals, he maybe not the most prolific, but he does have a good scoring record. Who do people think we should have gone for if not Beckford? That's what you get for a £1 million these days. At least he's there to miss the chances, many aren't. He reminds me so much of Neil Whatmore who use to miss under the cross bar. The only where you and I disagree David, is I do think some other manager could do better and for less money than Dougie is on. There are a number of managers out there who want to repair their careers, I'm sure one of them would probably do a better job. Ernagy2
  • Score: 0

5:52pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Ernagy2 says...

leyland white wrote:
Well Dougie as a football manager your comments astound me. Where Shall I begin.
Is it because he is lazy and petulant.
Is it because he is easily knocked off the ball and bleets to the referee
or is it because he cannot hit a barndoor form 10 yards out and wastes the few chances your team selection and system actually creates. I can see it why cant you?.
Take a walk outside the Macron and look at the statue Dougie, That is a striker.
Don't think he's lazy or petulant and as for not hitting a barn door from 10 yards most strikers have that problem - they wouldn't be playing in the championship if they did. Neil Whatmore couldn't hit a barn door at a yard most times, but still got goals.
[quote][p][bold]leyland white[/bold] wrote: Well Dougie as a football manager your comments astound me. Where Shall I begin. Is it because he is lazy and petulant. Is it because he is easily knocked off the ball and bleets to the referee or is it because he cannot hit a barndoor form 10 yards out and wastes the few chances your team selection and system actually creates. I can see it why cant you?. Take a walk outside the Macron and look at the statue Dougie, That is a striker.[/p][/quote]Don't think he's lazy or petulant and as for not hitting a barn door from 10 yards most strikers have that problem - they wouldn't be playing in the championship if they did. Neil Whatmore couldn't hit a barn door at a yard most times, but still got goals. Ernagy2
  • Score: -11

6:20pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Lever-Ender says...

At almost 60 years old, I would still rather have Neil Whatmore.....
At almost 60 years old, I would still rather have Neil Whatmore..... Lever-Ender
  • Score: 8

8:15pm Thu 28 Aug 14

trottersfan says...

PLEASE can someone remind me why DF was chosen as manager in the first place?
PLEASE can someone remind me why DF was chosen as manager in the first place? trottersfan
  • Score: 8

10:35pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Lowtonandy says...

Ernagy2 wrote:
David_J wrote:
I personally hope Beckford starts against Leeds. He needs encouragement after scoring two goals midweek - not discouragement like most of the fans on the terraces give. The fans need to back the team and manager otherwise it is the fans who are bringing the club down. Support your club properly for a change instead of whingeing and understand that we are a championship club with no money and no one else could do any better!
I agree with most of your comment David. He's our best chance of scoring goals, he maybe not the most prolific, but he does have a good scoring record. Who do people think we should have gone for if not Beckford? That's what you get for a £1 million these days.

At least he's there to miss the chances, many aren't. He reminds me so much of Neil Whatmore who use to miss under the cross bar.

The only where you and I disagree David, is I do think some other manager could do better and for less money than Dougie is on. There are a number of managers out there who want to repair their careers, I'm sure one of them would probably do a better job.
You plonker! This no hoper DOESN'T compare at all with Neil Whatmore. I wish he was as good as NW because he'd be getting us 20+ goals a season.
[quote][p][bold]Ernagy2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]David_J[/bold] wrote: I personally hope Beckford starts against Leeds. He needs encouragement after scoring two goals midweek - not discouragement like most of the fans on the terraces give. The fans need to back the team and manager otherwise it is the fans who are bringing the club down. Support your club properly for a change instead of whingeing and understand that we are a championship club with no money and no one else could do any better![/p][/quote]I agree with most of your comment David. He's our best chance of scoring goals, he maybe not the most prolific, but he does have a good scoring record. Who do people think we should have gone for if not Beckford? That's what you get for a £1 million these days. At least he's there to miss the chances, many aren't. He reminds me so much of Neil Whatmore who use to miss under the cross bar. The only where you and I disagree David, is I do think some other manager could do better and for less money than Dougie is on. There are a number of managers out there who want to repair their careers, I'm sure one of them would probably do a better job.[/p][/quote]You plonker! This no hoper DOESN'T compare at all with Neil Whatmore. I wish he was as good as NW because he'd be getting us 20+ goals a season. Lowtonandy
  • Score: 5

10:37pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Lowtonandy says...

Lever-Ender wrote:
At almost 60 years old, I would still rather have Neil Whatmore.....
Me too !!
[quote][p][bold]Lever-Ender[/bold] wrote: At almost 60 years old, I would still rather have Neil Whatmore.....[/p][/quote]Me too !! Lowtonandy
  • Score: 4

10:40pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Lowtonandy says...

David_J wrote:
I personally hope Beckford starts against Leeds. He needs encouragement after scoring two goals midweek - not discouragement like most of the fans on the terraces give. The fans need to back the team and manager otherwise it is the fans who are bringing the club down. Support your club properly for a change instead of whingeing and understand that we are a championship club with no money and no one else could do any better!
I know where you're coming from but think about it for a moment. When these clowns finally move on, our club will still be here but in a bigger mess than it is now. Do you really want that?
[quote][p][bold]David_J[/bold] wrote: I personally hope Beckford starts against Leeds. He needs encouragement after scoring two goals midweek - not discouragement like most of the fans on the terraces give. The fans need to back the team and manager otherwise it is the fans who are bringing the club down. Support your club properly for a change instead of whingeing and understand that we are a championship club with no money and no one else could do any better![/p][/quote]I know where you're coming from but think about it for a moment. When these clowns finally move on, our club will still be here but in a bigger mess than it is now. Do you really want that? Lowtonandy
  • Score: 5

10:42pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Lowtonandy says...

leyland white wrote:
Well Dougie as a football manager your comments astound me. Where Shall I begin.
Is it because he is lazy and petulant.
Is it because he is easily knocked off the ball and bleets to the referee
or is it because he cannot hit a barndoor form 10 yards out and wastes the few chances your team selection and system actually creates. I can see it why cant you?.
Take a walk outside the Macron and look at the statue Dougie, That is a striker.
Great post!
[quote][p][bold]leyland white[/bold] wrote: Well Dougie as a football manager your comments astound me. Where Shall I begin. Is it because he is lazy and petulant. Is it because he is easily knocked off the ball and bleets to the referee or is it because he cannot hit a barndoor form 10 yards out and wastes the few chances your team selection and system actually creates. I can see it why cant you?. Take a walk outside the Macron and look at the statue Dougie, That is a striker.[/p][/quote]Great post! Lowtonandy
  • Score: 9

10:50pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Lowtonandy says...

trottersfan wrote:
PLEASE can someone remind me why DF was chosen as manager in the first place?
I think his brother used to be friends with the sister of a guy who PG had a brief chat with on holiday in a bar and the guy who met PG told his sister to tell the brother of DF that this chairman of a once proud football club was giving a job away to anyone who wanted it .......or something like that. Ok, I made it up - I've no idea either??!!
[quote][p][bold]trottersfan[/bold] wrote: PLEASE can someone remind me why DF was chosen as manager in the first place?[/p][/quote]I think his brother used to be friends with the sister of a guy who PG had a brief chat with on holiday in a bar and the guy who met PG told his sister to tell the brother of DF that this chairman of a once proud football club was giving a job away to anyone who wanted it .......or something like that. Ok, I made it up - I've no idea either??!! Lowtonandy
  • Score: 6

6:20am Fri 29 Aug 14

Allmylife says...

A man low on confidence! Dougie is doing his bit to boost the guys morale. But that's where reason ends! Conceding territory and possession whilst knocking it hopefully long isn't a tactic - it's a recipe for disaster. We aren't good enough to hold the ball and can't pass to a white shirt. Beckford won't score 20+ on that plan and neither would any PL top striker. He simply wastes too many chances to endear himself to the crowd. He is probably the best we've got and that is a sad inditement of Gartslime's asset stripping pocket lining management.
A man low on confidence! Dougie is doing his bit to boost the guys morale. But that's where reason ends! Conceding territory and possession whilst knocking it hopefully long isn't a tactic - it's a recipe for disaster. We aren't good enough to hold the ball and can't pass to a white shirt. Beckford won't score 20+ on that plan and neither would any PL top striker. He simply wastes too many chances to endear himself to the crowd. He is probably the best we've got and that is a sad inditement of Gartslime's asset stripping pocket lining management. Allmylife
  • Score: 3
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree