Every day we highlight top stories in The Bolton News and ask for your comments. You can either post your views on our Forum HERE or by email to the Letters Editor HERE or Sports Editor HERE.

Our MP works for everyone

11:56am Saturday 13th September 2014

WE feel that we must write in reply to the letter published last week from Mr Chris Green and his attack on Yasmin Qureshi, MP.

New buses on the road

11:55am Saturday 13th September 2014

RE “Where are the new buses” in The Bolton News (September 3), from Mr Amos. I’d like to provide the following update.

Socialism is not working

11:54am Saturday 13th September 2014

IN 2012, France elected a socialist president with an alternative to “austerity”, promising to raise taxes and increase public spending.

Don’t forget the parking

11:54am Saturday 13th September 2014

IN response to the story about the developments at Trinity rail station; I find it very welcome and futuristic.

Car park essential at station

2:47pm Friday 12th September 2014

I WRITE with reference to the story about Boton’s Bus/Rail interchange, Thursday, September 4.

Spectacular flowers on bus route

2:47pm Friday 12th September 2014

NAME and address supplied, September 6, complains about there being no floral displays in Breightmet.

Hell of a problem

2:46pm Friday 12th September 2014

AS a regular user of the train service between Bolton and Manchester, I applaud any initiatives that are likely to improve on the status quo.

Scotland must stay

2:46pm Friday 12th September 2014

VOTING on the Scottish referendum approaches. Our nation is in danger of being ripped apart. This is a national issue on which the rest of us have no say.

Ward staff so caring

2:45pm Friday 12th September 2014

SADLY, my husband passed away in the Royal Bolton Hospital.

Question time was cut short

1:17pm Thursday 11th September 2014

I REFER to the report (The Bolton News, September 4,) on the ‘Healthier Together’ debate held in Bolton on September 2.

Flowers are team effort

1:16pm Thursday 11th September 2014

I AM writing in reply to a recent letter sent in by a resident from Breightmet headed “No funding for flowers”.

Bill deserves MP’s support

1:15pm Thursday 11th September 2014

TOMORROW MPs will have the chance to help millions of people around the world simply by turning up to work.

Compactor an eyesore

1:15pm Thursday 11th September 2014

BLOTT on The Landscape was a satirical, amusing novel by Tom Sharpe published in 1975.

Dismayed by housing costs

1:14pm Thursday 11th September 2014

I WOULD like to answer the letter from Maureen Jones regarding the hidden costs of housing.

‘Experts’ are not climate scientists

9:04am Wednesday 10th September 2014

WITH mention to Susan Howarth’s letter (August 26) “Put energy into climate change.”

Parents must take blame

9:04am Wednesday 10th September 2014

I RECENTLY watched an epidsode of “Heartbeat” where some boys stole a nurse’s car and took the drugs that they found in her bag.

No respect for family

9:03am Wednesday 10th September 2014

I WAS shocked and saddened to hear about the actions of Bolton council at Horwich cemetery regarding the tree and lanterns at Judith McGuiness’s grave.

Tree move so hurtful

9:03am Wednesday 10th September 2014

I am writing to say how sad my family and I are after the council destroyed and deeply upset an already grieving family by cold heartily removing all the branches next to my friend Judith McGuinness’s grave.

Saying sorry real cop-out

9:02am Wednesday 10th September 2014

IT seems some people in positions of trust think when things go wrong, all they need do is say “sorry”, a word that at one time would never have been used by people in authority.

PC message should not be used to shield guilty

8:50am Tuesday 9th September 2014

RE: Yasmin Qureshi, MP for Bolton South East, “My stand against ISIS and Child abuse”, September 4, 2014.

Question of ruthlessness

8:50am Tuesday 9th September 2014

I AM in agreement with almost the whole of Yasmin Qureshi’s letter (September 4). But there is one important passage that I want to query: “I did not make a comparison between those going to fight for the Israeli army and ISIS jihadists. I have repeatedly made it clear that ISIS is evil.”

Targeting the drinkers

8:49am Tuesday 9th September 2014

IN the report about the cost of alcohol abuse (Sepember 1), Cllr Cliff Morris, Labour Leader of the Council, said: “It’s not about saying to people don’t drink, it’s about targeting excess drinking. We're looking at the cost to the health service and their health so it’s educating people on what excess drink can do to them.”

Lets follow Paderborn

8:48am Tuesday 9th September 2014

IN contrast to the form of our beloved Bolton Wanderers in the last few seasons, the fortune of SC Paderborn from our twin town of Paderborn (the name gives it away) has been a fairytale dream.

Pleased with an apology

8:48am Tuesday 9th September 2014

ONCE again it would appear that a local council has acted without any consideration whatsoever for the residents who elect and fund them.

Bring back glory days to station

10:05am Monday 8th September 2014

Having read the headline story in the Bolton News regarding the additional platform at Trinity Street railway station I am minded to write on a number of points.

No bonus for tax payers

10:03am Monday 8th September 2014

IT was interesting to note “Polls predict Labour will win Bolton West”, The Bolton News, August 28, Tory candidate Chris Green’s statement: “It is very important for me that the people of Bolton West are supported fully by their council.”

Keep traffic flowing

10:03am Monday 8th September 2014

PERHAPS Miss Webb in her letter, “Educate the petrolheads”, September 4, should take another look at the Highway Code and, the section that says “drivers should not drive without reasonable consideration for other drivers”.

College is a Godsend

10:01am Monday 8th September 2014

THANK goodness for the Robert Buckley Sixth Form College which opened last year at the Atherton Community School, this has been a Godsend to pupils who have been turned away from the Leigh Sixth Form Centre following their decision not to hold AS-level courses because the demand was too low.

A parking good idea

10:00am Monday 8th September 2014

READING in the paper about losing the car park for the proposed new platform at the train station, would it not be a good idea to build a multi- storey car park above the new bus station so the commuters would not have to use the side streets as is done at moment.

A hole way to kick start economy

12:43pm Sunday 7th September 2014

THE Bolton News on Friday, August 29,reported that potholes take 47 years to repair. This is outrageous. The Con-Lib Dem Government is wasting some £50 to £60 billion on the HS2 project which so many people, including myself, have been against since its conception.

Boycotts and the BBC

12:42pm Sunday 7th September 2014

I AGREE with the Ukrainians regarding boycotting goods but not whose goods they want to boycott.

Sheltered happiness

12:41pm Sunday 7th September 2014

MAY I use your letters column to express my thanks for 31 years I have lived in this sheltered complex.

No funding for flowers

12:41pm Sunday 7th September 2014

I REGULARLY visit my daughter in Bromley Cross and have noticed the lovely floral displays in the centre of Bromley Cross and other areas including Egerton and Astley Bridge.

My stand on ISIS and child abuse

12:11pm Thursday 4th September 2014

RE Chris Green’s letter (September 2). I would like to clarify a number of claims he is attempting to make against me.

Hopes for the orchids

12:09pm Thursday 4th September 2014

I FIRST came to live at Hunger Hill in 1963.

Cut hours for drinking

12:08pm Thursday 4th September 2014

SURELY one of the first steps Bolton Council should be considering in their “unified attack on the consumption of alcohol abuse” would be the reduction of opening hours for pubs and clubs in the borough. What was wrong with shutting the doors at 11ppm?

Educate the petrolheads

12:08pm Thursday 4th September 2014

THIS letter is aimed at all the “petrolheads”. Do any of them know or have they been taught the Highway Code?

Hidden costs of housing

2:29pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014

I LIVE in sheltered housing and the ages of the residents range from 60s to 90s and most have age related disabilities.

Where are new buses?

2:28pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014

On August 20, 2013, the Bolton News printed a story about First Greater Manchester Bolton’s garage receiving a new £2 million fleet of buses for the 501 route.

Staggering ticket prices

2:28pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014

I WRITE to express my disgust at the price hike that Northern Rail are imposing next Monday.

Dramatic concern

2:27pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014

I AM writing to add my voice to the many recent letters of concern regarding the proposed demolition of the Theatre Church. All the drama and dance companies who formerly used this facility must now be wondering where they are going to perform in the future.

Candidates kept secret

2:26pm Wednesday 3rd September 2014

U HAVE just returned from a holiday and surprise, surprise – the Labour councillor has still not disclosed him/herself.

Trust in our MPs needs rebuilding

3:08pm Tuesday 2nd September 2014

RACE, colour and creed matter now, always have and always will.

Driven to distraction

3:07pm Tuesday 2nd September 2014

THE changes to the administration of Vehicle Excise Duty which come into effect on October 1 go far beyond scrapping the tax disc.

No risk to care home

3:06pm Tuesday 2nd September 2014

FOLLOWING a letter last week I felt it appropriate to write to dismiss rumours that the Winifred Kettle Centre in Westhoughton is closing.

Scam phone calls cannot be stopped

2:44pm Monday 1st September 2014

WITH regard to the recent discussion on telephone harassment, I am signed up to the telephone preference service but I am concerned that it is only targeting genuine companies drumming up a bit of business, and does little or nothing to prevent the real problem calls.

West played part in Mid East crisis

2:43pm Monday 1st September 2014

THE current NATO conference in Newport involves Britain’s biggest-ever security operation, including 9,500 police officers and seven warships anchored in Cardiff Bay.

Planners are too passive

2:42pm Monday 1st September 2014

A RECENT brief report in this newspaper revealed that, once again, Birtenshaw School management had quietly purchased a local house and was converting it into a disabled children’s community home, on the Barratt housing development off Turton Road.

How to end phone line harassment

10:51am Saturday 30th August 2014

REGARDING Brian Derbyshire’s letter 'Phone line harassment' (August 27).

Students rise to the challenge

10:50am Saturday 30th August 2014

CONGRATULATIONS to all of the schools and student in Bolton West for their fantastic GCSE and A level results.

Easy Navigation

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree