Never miss anything again. Sign up for our RSS news feeds and Newsletters.

NON-LEAGUE: RMI gain upper hand

LEIGH RMI take a slender lead into next Tuesday's second-leg of the President's Cup semi-final after beating Runcorn 1-0 in the first at Hilton Park last night. Newcomer Tony Black scored the only goal of the game in the 20th minute, his second in as many matches for RMI, when he raced through the Linnets' defence to slot home from an acute angle.

Boss Steve Waywell made half a dozen changes to the side that beat Altrincham 3-2 on Saturday and that was probably the reason for the lack of cohesion, especially in the second half.

"We bossed the first half very well and should have had more goals," said Waywell, "but the in the second we gave away too much possession too easily and Runcorn played their best football for some time. "We have won our last five games and although it is only half-time now, with the second-leg to come, I am confident that we can go to Canal Street and finish the job."

The other newcomer, Andy Grimshaw, had an impressive game with goalkeeper Dave Felgate once again outstanding.

Leigh have loaned out two of their strikers for a month. Keith Evans has gone to Lancaster, while Lee Cryer has joined Radcliffe Boro.

Brave Atherton Colls were sunk by a goal two minutes into injury time, in a 2-1 defeat at Skelmersdale United.

Having gone behind early on, the Atherton side equalised when Colin Lomas converted from the penalty spot, after Mark Fitton had been fouled in the 70th minute. Disappointed club chairman Steve Payne said: "They pinched that goal right at the death, but I suppose we should have had it sown up by then. Yet again we were undone by the lack of someone up front who can put the ball away but we played very well."

Atherton LR also put up a brave performance in a 2-0 defeat at table toppers Mossley. Assistant manager Pete Rust enthused: "We did very well and they never outplayed us, we moved Dave Chadwick from the back four to a striking position, with the return of Steve Dixon in the centre of defence, and both of them did superbly. Anthony Smith was our man of the match with a cracking performance. We have no reason to feel downhearted because we did very well and we could have nicked it." West Lancs League Division One side Tempest United play Haslingden St Mary's at Atherton LR's Crilly Park tonight, kick off 7.30pm. Due to problems with the Chew Moor pitch, United have not been able to fulfil fixtures recently, and LR have offered a helping hand with the use of their ground.

Converted for the new archive on 14 July 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree